C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk noise associated with the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:58 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Clunk noise associated with the clutch?

Friends,

Yesterday, as I drove around I noticed a "clunk" noise coming from the rear of my C6 everytime The car started to move from a stationary position. After searching the forum I found several posts that indicated that the clunk noise may have been assiciated with the differential fluid and the need to change it with a specific one, etc. So, I was thinking about taking the car to have the fluid replaced and check under the car while it was lifted.

While in my garage, I noticed the clutch fluid was black so I went ahead and drained it from the reservoir and replaiced it with DOT 4 a couple of times to clean the lines etc as much as possible. i did this 3 times. When I took the car for a ride, I noticed the clunk noise was gone and I wasn't able to reproduce it as I did the previous day. Cool!!!!

My question is... Is there a correlation between any "Clunking" in the rear of the car and the clutch or is this some sort of placibo effect???? I have very limited mechanical abilities so pardon my ignorance if there is an obvious answer.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:24 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Following. I get the clunk too, intermittently.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:22 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I believe the differential noise is usually most noticeable when turning, at least it was with mine. Clutch fluid could be the problem if it is interfering with movement in the clutch cylinder instead of allowing smooth operation. I’d check the axle nuts too, and if loose, replace them and torque new ones to spec.
Lastly, ensure sway bar ends are tight and not worn out.
The following users liked this post:
JoeMatilda (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

A "clunking" sound from the rear of the driveline is most likely due to one of two causes. Either a loose axle nut(s) or clutch pack slippage in the differential due to inadequate friction modifier in the OEM fill....the noise would be most evident when making slow speed turns. For the axle nuts, you will need a 33mm socket.....tighten the nuts to 140 ft. lbs & drive several slow turns. If noise is gone, that's the solution. However, for a permanent fix, the existing axle nuts should be replace with new.....they're only a few bucks each at any dealer. Search here for "replacing axle nuts" for full procedure. If the noise persists, drain & refill the diff with the latest Dexron LS 75W-90 gear oil (GM p/n 88862624. This gear oil contains the proper friction modifier. Again do a search for "replacing differential oil" for the procedure. Good luck.....
The following users liked this post:
JoeMatilda (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 01:35 PM
JoeMatilda
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Differential fluid and/or axle nuts...and both are easy to fix.
Many thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To Clunk noise associated with the clutch?

Quick Reply: Clunk noise associated with the clutch?