C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i afford a z06 operating cost

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 10:54 AM
DOJOLOACH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=FAUEE;1598128142]You can afford it.

I'm in the same area, theres a lot of cheap ones around here that are crappy. I'd spend a bit more and a a nice one. 35 to 40 gets you a really clean car, then budget another 3k for getting the heads done.

The other thing I'd throw out is why do you want the c6z? You may want to consider the GS or a base of you like the style and performance, the z06 loses the ability to remove the roof (which is just awesome to do) and frankly the ls3 cars are still very fast cars. Then you dont have the ls7 heads concerns.

My other advice, dont put all that money down. Save that money and put it down on a piece of property (house orntownhouse). Paying rent sucks, and housing is the best investment you can make. Frankly, I wouldn't put anything down on the car and would instead put that money into a house. Just advise from a guy not a whole lot older than you that's been thru this all.[/QUO

I thought this one was pretty nice at 35K https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...odelCode1=CORV
Old 10-09-2018, 12:06 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I think if you like\love something you will find a way to maintain\fix it. If you can afford the car as it sits no reason to not get it. Single making 70K you should be okay.
I'm married and I'm lucky to have 5 bucks in my pocket but I always find a way for my hobbies...lol
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,440 Likes on 2,799 Posts

With 3 pictures, it's hard to tell anything about it. 35k and up is the price range for the nicer cars.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:46 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Valve repair if not already done could be a significant expense. Other than that costs should not be bad if you choose something other than max performance summer tires.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:03 PM
eckseleven
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the GS is worth considering as others have said. Breaks, oil, and tires will be just as expensive as the Z, but you don't have to worry about the valve issue. Maybe insurance is less, not sure about that. You could also get a much newer car for the same money. On the lot where I bought my '10 GS sat an '06 Z with a decent amount more miles. Both the same price. For me, the newer car with rock-solid LS3 was the better choice. That and I really wanted the removable top. Still love the Z06 though. May end up in one someday.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:58 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 896 Likes on 583 Posts

At 25 I was buying another car, motorcycle or boat every year. Just do it. You're only young once. Plenty of time to build that 401k, IRA's and cash nest egg. Now as I'm about to retire I've got no money issues but I also don't have working knees or hair on my head. Enjoy youth.

One other reason for buying a GS is they built about 10 times as many so much easier to find one.
The following users liked this post:
DOJOLOACH (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:40 PM
DOJOLOACH
Intermediate

I am going to start looking at the GS's now. I really don't want a C5, I'm not a fan of the looks so C6 is where it is at. I'm also coming from a 2006 Toyota Corolla stick shift... so I think anything will be quicker than that as far as Vette's go LOL!

I seem to be finding C6 GS's with 50k miles around 20k!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by DOJOLOACH
I am going to start looking at the GS's now. I really don't want a C5, I'm not a fan of the looks so C6 is where it is at. I'm also coming from a 2006 Toyota Corolla stick shift... so I think anything will be quicker than that as far as Vette's go LOL!

Those won't be good cars. A good GS will be 33k or more. I'd stick with cars in the mid to upper 30s. The cheap cars end up costing you more in the long run.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by fauee

a good gs will be 33k or more. I'd stick with cars in the mid to upper 30s. The cheap cars end up costing you more in the long run.
exactly !
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 PM
DOJOLOACH
Intermediate

I don't fully understand that notion. Wouldn't a poorly taken care of car still be priced at excellent condition if noone can really see what is going on with the internals? I mean the seller will try to get as much out of the car as possible.

What makes them bad?

Being a novice driver, would it even be worth the extra $$$ for the Z06 model and the extra 70hp +/-?

It would be on the street, I doubt i'd track it until I am older

Last edited by DOJOLOACH; 10-09-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:41 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I'm not sure where you are finding used Grand Sports for $20K. The C6 GS came out in 2010. I took a quick look at autotrader.com and prices seem to start in the upper 20's for a C6 GS.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I don't fully understand that notion. Wouldn't a poorly taken care of car still be priced at excellent condition if noone can really see what is going on with the internals? I mean the seller will try to get as much out of the car as possible.

What makes them bad?

Being a novice driver, would it even be worth the extra $$$ for the Z06 model and the extra 70hp +/-?

It would be on the street, I doubt i'd track it until I am older
Poorly taken care of cars are cheaper. Their owners know they're poorly taken care of, and usually they look it in person. Many of them will be base model cars, with high miles ot questionable pasts.

For a novice driver, any c6 ia going to be a lot. A C6 is more car than even moderately experienced drivers can really use. On the street you cant even come close to using either car to its limit. These cars are far beyond what you can use on the street, they will have you speeding in 4 seconds or losing your license in 5 at full throttle.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:19 AM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Poorly taken care of cars are cheaper. Their owners know they're poorly taken care of, and usually they look it in person. Many of them will be base model cars, with high miles ot questionable pasts.

For a novice driver, any c6 ia going to be a lot. A C6 is more car than even moderately experienced drivers can really use. On the street you cant even come close to using either car to its limit. These cars are far beyond what you can use on the street, they will have you speeding in 4 seconds or losing your license in 5 at full throttle.
What kind of answer is that?? If a person is interested in a Corvette, those points are GIVENS. Of course it's fast, maybe TOO FAST. What of it? The Corvette is a low-cost, high-performance Sports Car. The great majority are NEVER driven at their potential. My 2007 A6 Base is driven daily. It's just a car. But it's REALLY FUN. Extremely reliable. Who says it will need the heads replaced? I doubt it. I've had the HB replaced, other maintenance I do myself. It's easy to work on. Insurance is about $1,000 per year, but probly more for someone so much younger. Whether you get speeding tickets in it is only a matter of self control. Maybe good lessons there. For $25 grand used, I do not regret buying mine, It's a great car, and generally no more in regular costs to drive and maintain than any other car.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Well....If I made 70K a year i would buy a new Z06..
Old 10-10-2018, 02:05 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
What? How exactly would you do that?
Do you not have other expenses? I make a good deal more than that but would not even consider a new Z06. Not to mention the depreciation.

Last edited by pdac; 10-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by pdac
What? How exactly would you do that?
Do you not have other expenses? I make a good deal more than that but would not even consider a new Z06. Not to mention the depreciation.
Some people like spending a quarter or more of their take home pay on a car I guess?

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Are $70k checks larger now than 20 years ago?

It's been more than 20 years ago when I made $70,000/yr, but after paying for housing, cable, and eating, I was doing good paying for a $30k vehicle. No way could I afford a $100,000 vehicle, even if I was still living in my parents basement for free.. The car note would be half of your monthly take home pay.
mkitt27 (10-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Can i afford a z06 operating cost

Old 10-10-2018, 10:28 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Not what you want to hear, but that is way over what any personal finance recommendation would be to spend on a car or hobby. Fund the 401(k) now, time is your friend... starting cannot be deferred. Buy a home/townhome. Then think about a car. when I made $70K I maybe spent $15K on a car. For sure, you'll be able to buy it and afford the maintenance... but it won't leave you much else. I assume you have a budget that assesses your take home pay and living expenses. My son is at a similar stage in life as you and he just bought my previous sports car a S2000 for ~$16K and was a stretch for him. He rents so didn't heed my advice but everyone has to decide their priorities. I'm 55, have had sports cars all my life (not always expensive ones...), have a well funded 401(k), helped 2 kids through college, have a lake cabin, and just bought a '08 Z06 for ~$36K - by far the most expensive car I've ever bought. As I mentioned I've been a car guy all my life but kept it in balance with rest of my life. No regrets, and loved every car.
AORoads (10-13-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

i don't want to tell you haw to spend your money but i want to give some advise to think about.

if you have $30k saved up to buy a car and you are renting i would suggest trying to buy a house first. even being single if you can get a small starter home or condo it is better than pissing away rent every month.

if you just aren't ready to buy a house, i would look at what rates you would get on a loan for the car.unless you are a really good investor you will probably pay more on the loan interest than you can make on investments.so it would be smart to pay cash for the car then look at maxing out a 401k contribution

this advice is coming from a 47yo that made a lot of bad financial decisions in my 20's.spent way to much on car payments and rent and wish i could go back and change that.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:04 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Some people like spending a quarter or more of their take home pay on a car I guess?
I'm retired.

Quick Reply: Can i afford a z06 operating cost