C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i afford a z06 operating cost

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:47 AM
DOJOLOACH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i guess ill keep looking at my options. Ill put off purchase to spring of 2019. Without getting into finances too much... by that time, i will have enough to put 5k in a ira, 10k into a C.D.,35k for a house payment (20%), and 20k down on a used vette in the 30-40k range .

im not ready from a career standpoint to purchase a house for another few years since i may move states.

Last edited by DOJOLOACH; 10-11-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac
What? How exactly would you do that?
Do you not have other expenses? I make a good deal more than that but would not even consider a new Z06. Not to mention the depreciation.
This reply was meant for the OP.....Sorry.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:26 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Operating cost? It's the same as any other vehicle maintenance. Tires,brakes,oil,antifreeze air cleaner.
No, it's not.

It's higher than most cars, even higher than other Corvettes.

Insurance costs are higher ( check with your co), Even simple oil changes are higher (higher volume, more complex). Tire costs are higher (different size). Brakes are more expensive as well. Most other maintenance items are comparable.

The following users liked this post:
AORoads (10-13-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 PM
arobber
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same as everything else in life, if you have to ask the cost, you can't afford it.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:39 AM
Hawk68
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DOJOLOACH
Being a novice driver, would it even be worth the extra $$$ for the Z06 model and the extra 70hp +/-?
This is a great question to ask but only you can truly answer it. From this question I take it you have never driven a Z06. Have you driven a C6 at all? If not, I would take the time to try to drive a few examples of both models. Preferably back to back or at least in the same day and take notes. You may find you don't need a Z06 or maybe you do need one. Either way you will be able to concentrate on finding, and saving for that particular model.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Move back home and save. Of course help out mom and dad too.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:21 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero_6
Move back home and save. Of course help out mom and dad too.
I mean, that's excessive. Nobody wants to be the laughing stock of their friends and coworkers, and have that huge obstacle to getting ladies over (or men, whatever works fofor people).

It would be a cold day in hell before I moved back in with my parents like a loser. Certainly not for a car.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 AM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by arobber
Same as everything else in life, if you have to ask the cost, you can't afford it.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Best deal out there is c6 z06...

if you dont mind not being able to remove the targa roof then the c6 z06 would be the corvette of choice.

thats what Id recommend.

btw mileage doesnt really affect these cars dependability but does lower the price...

my manual 2008 c6 z51 m6 isnt for sale but with 126k miles since I bought it new...its been an awesome reliable @nd near mint condition corvette...is worth maybe 16 grand....im not selling it but rather just showing you whats out there.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

investing and corvettes dont go together. If youbought one dont waste any time wiht factory heads go get some AFRs or? Then motor on without worry.
Last of the 427 vettes.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:07 PM
DOJOLOACH
Intermediate

Looks like my ideal pic is an 08-09 atomic orange z06 or targatop coupe. but im considering other grandsports.

I test drove a LS3 6.2L 2013 GS but I cant compare it to a 7.0L... Not sure i would truly be able to appreciate the extra torque and power.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Function Racer
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 107 Posts

Hi DOJO,

Want to give you some background here before my response.

I'm 24, and make roughly 75K/year in Connecticut (Cost of living is awful). My wife is 25 and makes roughly 50k/year. We're homeowners, no kids, no student loans. Bought a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport (JSB, 44K miles, Kooks headers, catted x pipe, Borla exhaust. Otherwise stock) for 28K OTD in Houston TX. Financing is roughly $580/month. Insurance is cheap because my wife is an agent. We pay $186/month for a max benefit full coverage policy on all 3 of our cars (2006 built Forester XT, 2017 Malibu, 2010 Corvette GS)

FYI I chose the Grand Sport, because although it doesn't have the frame/carbon fiber of the Z06, it has the widebody look, brakes, drysump, etc. without the worry of the LS7 issues (And the LS3 is much cheaper to replace!)
I also like the lower insurance, the front fender gills (my opinion), the tighter gear ratios, the removable roof, the easier boosting capabilities down the road, and of course spending less for a newer car. However, if you feel you would regret not getting the real deal (yeah, I said it!) then don't settle for less. Read through the forums on options for power adders, stock power, power ranges, torque curves, issues with platforms, etc. (I.E heads on the LS7, improvements over model years (Looking at you 2008!!!) Harmonic balancers on all LS motors...)

I won't break down all our finances because this isn't the correct platform to do so, however I will tell you that we are far from tight, and still contribute (Both) 18% to our respective retirement accounts, 5%/month to a market fund account, and 5%/month to the Acorns app through daily spending "Round Ups" (We pull from this account for home improvement projects, new appliances, etc.) Furthermore, we put 10% of each paycheck into savings until it hits a certain level and move it to paying off our mortgage earlier.

Your absolute best bet is to break down your base expenditures, then cross-reference your income (credits) to your outgoing (debits) and build a model that suits you. I would say that you should be cautious spending 50% of your salary on a vehicle, simply for the fact that at such a young age, the time value of money is unbeatable. Dual-income helps our situation enormously, and gives us the flexibility to own such a vehicle. Take this into consideration as well.

I think the best advice I read throughout all these responses is to go towards owning real estate, as long term this is a better investment than throwing money away renting. Do it sooner rather than later as interest rates continue to rise. (Our 30 year is locked in at 2.87% from 2015, can't touch that now.)

Once all that is done, you can determine your acceptable range of cost for your new Corvette, and begin shopping!
Old 11-04-2018, 02:42 PM
DOJOLOACH
Intermediate

Yeah so financing for me will be around 200/month, insurance the same. Z06 vs. standard model is a very small difference in insurance for an 08-09.

I test drove an LS3 in the orange color and loved it. Are corvettes that aren't the widebody GS or Z model generally looked down on?

This one he wanted 26.5k for, had an aftermarket exhaust, a nice aftermarket shifter, and a repolish paint job. I really liked it.

The Z model is at the upper end of my price range and then after the header work is done... I'm not liking the costs of all that. It seems like a narrow bodied LS3 might be the way to go as long as it wouldn't be like driving a 4 cylinder Mustang or Camaro... You know, just to say i own a vette. I don't want that. I want it for the power and two seat cars are my fave.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:19 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Anyone who looks down on a base model is just a stuck up *******, and you can look down on them for being so pathetic.

The narrow body cars have some definite operational advantages. They dont look as nice IMO, and the equipment is less track oriented, but they're still great cars, and they cost less to operate. My first c6 was a narrow body, and it was great.

Two bits of advice I will share. Get the color you want, and the car you want. Otherwise you will end up buying another one. Even if it's a bit more than you wanted to spend, just do it. You will eventually do it anyways, so may as well do it the first time and not let a dealer make money on you. I wanted a black GS, my first was a gray narrow body. I had it less than a year before trading to a black GS.
The following users liked this post:
BlackMamba89 (04-10-2019)
Old 11-04-2018, 03:24 PM
5Axis
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I make $250k a year and own a 2017 GS. I could have pretty much anything in my garage. I just wanted a fun toy and I got it
Old 11-04-2018, 03:38 PM
DOJOLOACH
Intermediate

This c6 in particular (Below is the link) it has no catalytic converter and illegal 20% tint windows so it would not pass inspection. He stressed that if i wanted the car, he would buy the converter and have a mechanic chop out part of the exhaust pipe and weld it in.... That didn't seem like too good of an idea, and I'd rather just knock him down in price by whatever a stock exhaust would take to install, as well as decrease window tint. Here in NC those are illegal.

He tried to tell me to just get it inspected at certain places and they would pass but that just doesnt sound good to me.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/ct...703804442.html
Old 11-04-2018, 03:51 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

29000, that is a little high. There are better deals out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Can i afford a z06 operating cost

Old 11-04-2018, 04:01 PM
DOJOLOACH
Intermediate

He said he would take 26.5k and I hadn't even talked him down yet. I was thinking 22k was a fair offer. What do you think for 22k? That would give me 2k for a new exhaust with the converter and untint the windows.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:22 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 194 Posts

Just my opinion bet to replace an engine would be all said and done around $25000.00
Old 11-04-2018, 04:29 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

That car is a 27k car. You're overthinking the tiny and exhaust. Tiny will get steamed off, with new tint that's a 350 to 400 dollar job. That's the real concern.

The exhaust will be fine, 99% of ships wont even lift a vette to inspect it because they're too wide and low. But regardless, theyll just check the codes, and since the car has headers, those codes got turned off during the tune most likely. The tiny will cause you WAY more problems tha the exhaust.

That's a 27k car, if you offer him 22 you are no longer an actual interested buyer. He will probably just stop replying and move on to a real buyer. 22k is clean c4 money or shitbox c6 money. Dont let the guys here who would have you believe they got showroom clean cars with all options for 15 grand.

Quick Reply: Can i afford a z06 operating cost