C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new fob for a 2008 c6

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

Default Need a new fob for a 2008 c6

Howdy: I lost my #2 FOB which I never used because I'm the only driver and my #1 FOB is all taped together so i need to get a new one. My Question is: Where is the best place to buy an OEM,besides EBay or the dealer? Also will it be programed for FOB #3 or??...Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 10:55 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Howdy: I lost my #2 FOB which I never used because I'm the only driver and my #1 FOB is all taped together so i need to get a new one. My Question is: Where is the best place to buy an OEM,besides EBay or the dealer? Also will it be programed for FOB #3 or??...Thanks
What fob number the new fob will be programmed as depends on which programming process you use. The short process just programs the new fob as the next unprogrammed fob number. So, in your case that would be fob #3. However, that fob number would not have access to the car's memory options.

If you use the long process, it will program the first fob you program as #1, the next one as #2, etc. In addition, any lost fobs will no longer work with the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vette_DD:
Cherokee Nation (10-17-2018), owc6 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:03 AM
nzkiwivet
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

just get a new shell for number1 and swap the insides over?
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
What fob number the new fob will be programmed as depends on which programming process you use. The short process just programs the new fob as the next unprogrammed fob number. So, in your case that would be fob #3. However, that fob number would not have access to the car's memory options.

If you use the long process, it will program the first fob you program as #1, the next one as #2, etc. In addition, any lost fobs will no longer work with the car.
Thanks: What memory functions does it affect? I turned off my seat memory a long time ago because it hardly ever remember my setting anyway after about a year after i brought the vette with zero miles on it and I'm not worried about the mirrors either and i keep my steering wheel out at all times also.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:15 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nzkiwivet
just get a new shell for number1 and swap the insides over?
Where at? I've heard about the ones from Ebay....Bad reviews. I've been on Dorman's website and they did not have one for the C6,but that was a couple of years ago.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:51 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks: What memory functions does it affect? I turned off my seat memory a long time ago because it hardly ever remember my setting anyway after about a year after i brought the vette with zero miles on it and I'm not worried about the mirrors either and i keep my steering wheel out at all times also.
ALL of the memory functions that can be set with the "OPTIONS" button on the dash, just to the right of the steering column. See pages 3-72 through 3-80 in your owner's manual.

Approach Lights
Twilight Delay
Flash at Unlock
Flash at Lock
FOB Reminder
Passive Door Locking
Passive Door Unlock
Auto Unlock
Personalize Name

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-18-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:57 AM
350Dreamin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have one for sale. it is in excellent condition if you're interested.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:08 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 350Dreamin
i have one for sale. it is in excellent condition if you're interested.
Dreamin..Send me a pm...OEM,year and price.....Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 01:11 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

ALL of the memory functions that can be set with the "OPTIONS" button on the dash, just to the right of the steering column. See pages 3-72 through 3-80 in your owner's manual.

Approach Lights
Twilight Delay
Flash at Unlock
Flash at Lock
FOB Reminder
Passive Door Locking
Passive Door Unlock
Auto Unlock
Personalize Name
Thanks Vette_DD.....Looks like i will try the long program....
Old 10-18-2018, 02:41 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Where at? I've heard about the ones from Ebay....Bad reviews. I've been on Dorman's website and they did not have one for the C6,but that was a couple of years ago.
I bought a new shell from eBay vendor "auto.locksmiths" in FL back in Jan for $13.12. Came with an uncut key, but no C6 emblem. The listing at the time said only 9 were left and the seller doesn't have more on eBay now. I put the OEM guts in it and a new battery. It's my daily now and the other original is my backup.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Check the C6 for sale parts daily and you may luck out.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I did same process ... my local true value store was able to cut the the new blank from an existing key ... no charge ...
Old 10-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I bought a new shell from eBay vendor "auto.locksmiths" in FL back in Jan for $13.12. Came with an uncut key, but no C6 emblem. The listing at the time said only 9 were left and the seller doesn't have more on eBay now. I put the OEM guts in it and a new battery. It's my daily now and the other original is my backup.
I could care less about the C6 Emblem.I will search...Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 05:25 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Buy a new case on eBay and swap over the electronics from your taped together one.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Buy a new case on eBay and swap over the electronics from your taped together one.
I can get a new case,but I want the new electronics due to the fact that my FOB has got a little wet a few times and it has been f#$king up at times.......I have clean it many times ,but electronics can fail due to age also.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:55 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

One more question Vette_DD......I read the instructions in the manual for the long process, am I'm correct that I program the new fob first with the old one near the car and then i will have to reprogram the old one also?...I want the old one for a back up...Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

One more question Vette_DD......I read the instructions in the manual for the long process, am I'm correct that I program the new fob first with the old one near the car and then i will have to reprogram the old one also?...I want the old one for a back up...Thanks
Here's a link to the instructions:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html

It says you start the programming with the long procedure with no fobs anywhere near the car: If you use this procedure, you cannot keep the old fob as a backup. You must program ALL fobs you want to use.

C6 Fob Long Procedure….use these instructions 11-22 to erase car memory and reprogram all Fobs. Be sure to confirm proper operation of the glovebox slot with the short procedure before using this one. Any lost Fobs that are not reprogrammed with this procedure will no longer work on the car. Lost Fobs that are later found may be added to the car with the short programming procedure. This procedure requires three consecutive ten minute waiting periods, so plan on spending about a half hour to do this, during which the car may not be moved. Remember that the number printed on the Fob only indicates the way it was first programmed at the factory. All Fobs are identical. The order in which they are placed in the glovebox slot determines what number the Fob is.

11. Drivers window down, car off
12. Trunk open
13. Glove box open
14. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
15. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
16. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. With step 17, all previous fobs will be erased. To continue with programming:
17. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
18. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
19. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
20. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side and the keyring end facing outwards.
21. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
22. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car.

Please read through the rest of the thread as many people have added their tips and tricks...lots of good info

Added 9/13/2015: If the car CAN be put into the programming mode but the slot FAILS to recognize a fob, it could be that the system antenna that is attached directly behind the slot is either: 1. defective or 2. (More likely)Unplugged from its' wiring harness or 3. (Also more likely) not properly positioned in its' own slot directly behind the glovebox slot. Pulling the glovebox out will allow this to be easily observed. This antenna must be very very close to the fob in the slot in order to program the fob. See this thread for a diagram and pics of a situation where the antenna was not replaced into its' slot after work was done. It caused serious problems and yet was a very simple fix:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-only-me.html
Quite honestly, I've never used this procedure and I know very little about it, just what I've read. The link that I posted and most of the information that I posted above came from the expert who wrote those instructions.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a new fob for a 2008 c6

Old 10-18-2018, 10:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

If you use the short program, it just adds a fob (up to four total). If you use the long program, it essentially erases all other fobs once programmed to this car (it doesn't really do anything to the fobs, it actually makes the car forget them,) and you start with a "blank slate" where you can then program up to four fobs.
Cherokee Nation (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Here's a link to the instructions:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html

It says you start the programming with the long procedure with no fobs anywhere near the car: If you use this procedure, you cannot keep the old fob as a backup. You must program ALL fobs you want to use.

Quite honestly, I've never used this procedure and I know very little about it, just what I've read. The link that I posted and most of the information that I posted above came from the expert who wrote those instructions.
My owners manual on P.2-6...Quote: "Have the recognized and new unrecognized transmitters on your person" then start the procedure....Anyway, I saved these pages and when i get the new one i will get it done...I hope..I owe you a beer Vete_DD...
Old 10-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

My owners manual on P.2-6...Quote: "Have the recognized and new unrecognized transmitters on your person" then start the procedure....Anyway, I saved these pages and when i get the new one i will get it done...I hope..I owe you a beer Vete_DD...
That's the short procedure where you're just going to add a new fob. Notice that mentions the new fob being 2, 3, or 4.

The long procedure starts on the right side of page 7. It does not say anything about no fobs close to the car, but for some reason, the long procedure from the link says you have to do that. Don't know why the owner's manual doesn't mention it if it's required for the long procedure.

Cherokee Nation (10-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Need a new fob for a 2008 c6