C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parting out a z06??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:54 AM
donglyz06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default parting out a z06??

Has anyone parted out a z06 and can give me some pointers? I have a large shop space that I don't use right now so space isn't an issue. I want to do a ls7 swap into my 81 4sp, but I can't justify spending the money on a crate engine. I'm wondering what kind of return you can get on the remaining parts to offset the cost of the engine. Anyone have some ball park figures and maybe even pictures of cars they have done? It would be great to see what you paid, and what the car looked like, and then get some ball park estimates on how things worked out. Thanks a million!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Interested as well.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

LIke anything else, there's a learning curve. I've got a couple friends who started parting out Vettes as a side business. They're workers, real go-getters. They make it work. But, there's more to it than meets the eye and there is a lot of work. I supply them massive amounts of packing materials (Unwanted from incoming stuff here at worK) so that works out well for both of us. But boxes and packing material can get pricey.

Next hurdle is knowing enough to know what parts are in demand (higher margin) and which are less so. That's a pretty big learning curve when you think about all the parts that make up the car. They didn't start off losing money, so it's not like car #1 is some big risk. But, expect to more or less break even on the balance of the stuff, and also to have a frame/carcass to dispose of when you're finished.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:09 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by donglyz06
Has anyone parted out a z06 and can give me some pointers? I have a large shop space that I don't use right now so space isn't an issue. I want to do a ls7 swap into my 81 4sp, but I can't justify spending the money on a crate engine. I'm wondering what kind of return you can get on the remaining parts to offset the cost of the engine. Anyone have some ball park figures and maybe even pictures of cars they have done? It would be great to see what you paid, and what the car looked like, and then get some ball park estimates on how things worked out.
W/o the LS7 it's a rolling chassis, owners whose LS7 fragged have asked what the car's worth minus engine.
Best $'s from someone w/ a LS7 looking for a body.
Otherwise someone looking for the deal a rolling chassis would be, not afraid of laying out for a LS7.

Have to ask if it wouldn't be easier selling the Z06 whole, as-is, w/ LS7?
Take the loot & buy a crate or preowned LS7, drop it into the '81 chassis.
'81's paid for, LS7's paid for. You got a paid for monster.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:35 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I was over at a club members home last week who is rebuilding four Corvettes at the same time, and has been restoring cars for over 30 years. He is doing a frame off restore on a '66 as a resto mod, and I was very very very surprised that he installed the 6.2L from a Suburban in it. He said it was way cheaper, and will have excellent performance in the corvette.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:36 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have parted out 2 entire C5's.....if you PM me I will be glad to tell you what I have learned

Get notified of new replies

To parting out a z06??

Quick Reply: parting out a z06??