C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly key fob question... I'm a little embarrassed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 10:17 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Silly key fob question... I'm a little embarrassed...

Hi all,

Don't shoot me but I tried doing a search on this and came up empty. I lost one of my two key fobs years ago and don't want to get stuck losing my ONLY remaining key fob... Two questions:

1) In order to re-program a new key fob I need to know which key fob I'm dealing with, right (key fob 1 vs 2)? How can I tell which key fob I currently have??
2) My current key fob case is beat up but it works perfectly. Where's the best place to get a suitable replacement case?

Thank you all!

Last edited by vara411; 10-19-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Your key fob should have a 1 or 2 on the bottom to tell which one it is. It could be rubbed off if its not there. As far as case, I'm not really sure. I would like to know myself. Not sure the cases I have can withstand another battery replacement. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
The following users liked this post:
vara411 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

I should be embossed on the back side of the key fob.
This is Key Fob "2".

Found this, lacks the silver logo though.
Amazon Amazon
vara411 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:12 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

It doesn't matter what FOB number you currently have. If your car has memory functions and those memory functions work with your current FOB then you have either FOB #1 or FOB #2 because only those two FOBs work with the memory.

When you buy a replacement FOB you can program it either as an "additional" FOB, will be #3 or #4 depending on how many have already been programmed to the car. OR you can program it as #1 or #2 to work with the car's memory functions. To program as #1 or #2 you have use the "long procedure" which erases all FOBs in the car's computer. Then you program the FOBs in the order you want them to be #1 and #2. The first FOB programmed will be #1, the next one will be #2. You could program the NEW FOB as #1 or #2, doesn't matter, and it doesn't matter what number might be stamped on the FOB case.

You could pay a dealer to do the programming for you or you can do it yourself. It has been suggested a few times here that since the long procedure requires erasing all FOBs currently programmed to the car, it might be a good idea to take the car to a dealer lot to do the programming in case something goes really wrong and you can't complete the process. At least you wouldn't have to pay for a tow to the dealer. AFAIK no one has reported having that problem here but, you know, peace of mind.

FOB programming instructions. Read it thoroughly, you have to follow the directions exactly:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
vara411 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:19 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RichKiss
Your key fob should have a 1 or 2 on the bottom to tell which one it is. It could be rubbed off if its not there. As far as case, I'm not really sure. I would like to know myself. Not sure the cases I have can withstand another battery replacement. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Well now... don't I feel silly.

Last edited by vara411; 10-19-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:06 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
It doesn't matter what FOB number you currently have. If your car has memory functions and those memory functions work with your current FOB then you have either FOB #1 or FOB #2 because only those two FOBs work with the memory.

When you buy a replacement FOB you can program it either as an "additional" FOB, will be #3 or #4 depending on how many have already been programmed to the car. OR you can program it as #1 or #2 to work with the car's memory functions. To program as #1 or #2 you have use the "long procedure" which erases all FOBs in the car's computer. Then you program the FOBs in the order you want them to be #1 and #2. The first FOB programmed will be #1, the next one will be #2. You could program the NEW FOB as #1 or #2, doesn't matter, and it doesn't matter what number might be stamped on the FOB case.

You could pay a dealer to do the programming for you or you can do it yourself. It has been suggested a few times here that since the long procedure requires erasing all FOBs currently programmed to the car, it might be a good idea to take the car to a dealer lot to do the programming in case something goes really wrong and you can't complete the process. At least you wouldn't have to pay for a tow to the dealer. AFAIK no one has reported having that problem here but, you know, peace of mind.

FOB programming instructions. Read it thoroughly, you have to follow the directions exactly:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
Rick....As far as testing the slot can i just remove the battery from my fob then insert it in the slot and if my car starts doesnt that mean that the slot is working?
Old 10-20-2018, 04:40 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Rick....As far as testing the slot can i just remove the battery from my fob then insert it in the slot and if my car starts doesnt that mean that the slot is working?
Pretty much, and if the car does not start and you get the fob not detected, then just clip the fob slot antenna back in, from the slot clip socket is fell out of.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-detected.html

Last edited by Dano523; 10-20-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Cherokee Nation (10-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Silly key fob question... I'm a little embarrassed...

Quick Reply: Silly key fob question... I'm a little embarrassed...