C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's she worth - 2008 corvette 427 limited edition z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:56 AM
cdumitru78
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is basically what I did, offered him $38k as is...

Sadly he does not seem to think the car needs tires or any maintenance of any kind since it has such low miles.

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
Bingo! Stole my answer! He most assuredly will not want to do the work, then you get the lower price and know that whatever works is done is to your satisfaction.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cdumitru78

Sadly he does not seem to think the car needs tires or any maintenance of any kind since it has such low miles.
Sounds like he'll have his garage ornament for a long time then.

There's always another car, and there's no shortage of <20k mile Z06's out there. I still contend that $45k with maintenance up to date is too much--sounds like a retail number, and only suckers pay retail.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:10 PM
cdumitru78
Heel & Toe

Yeah, there is quite a few of them out there, I will eventually find a good one locally.

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Sounds like he'll have his garage ornament for a long time then.

There's always another car, and there's no shortage of <20k mile Z06's out there. I still contend that $45k with maintenance up to date is too much--sounds like a retail number, and only suckers pay retail.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I usually stay away from buyers that say rare. LS7 C6s are everywhere. Depending on options and all it could be high $30k range. Miles are real low which is a concern for me. About 2 tanks of gas per year. Probably has the same tires, spark plugs and coolant. Heads fixed by who is always a question. With an 08 you can't get the GMEPP extended warranty unless it was sold late in the year or in 2009. GM probably wouldn't cover the engine anyway if head work has been done.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:43 PM
cdumitru78
Heel & Toe

I've been talking to the seller who is selling it for his friend... original everything, tires, heads, breaks and spark plugs and yeah, he thinks is super rare and in his words he thinks he is actually sure his asking price is super low actually. Oh well, it may stay there for a while.

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I usually stay away from buyers that say rare. LS7 C6s are everywhere. Depending on options and all it could be high $30k range. Miles are real low which is a concern for me. About 2 tanks of gas per year. Probably has the same tires, spark plugs and coolant. Heads fixed by who is always a question. With an 08 you can't get the GMEPP extended warranty unless it was sold late in the year or in 2009. GM probably wouldn't cover the engine anyway if head work has been done.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:00 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^ There's nothing wrong with being proud of your car, but this guy sounds delusional, even for a Corvette owner.

Like I said before, the "super rare" Cooksey Edition does nothing for me.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been talking to the seller who is selling it for his friend... original everything, tires, heads, breaks and spark plugs and yeah, he thinks is super rare and in his words he thinks he is actually sure his asking price is super low actually. Oh well, it may stay there for a while.
He'll be sitting on it. Again, my '08 had 18Kmiles, they were asking high 30's, paid mid 30's. Mine needed heads done, I got maintenance records (at least maintenance done at Chevy dealer including all fluids done when they put it up for sale), tires were old but still serviceable at ~7 year age. Above $40K you can get low mile 2010/11/12 Z06's.

I worked the head issue into negotiation, they played dumb and didn't acknowledge it. Didn't matter, I got a price I thought was reasonable, about $3K less than asking.
The following users liked this post:
cdumitru78 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

People o here make a big deal about the age of tires, and its TOTALLY overblown. I drove tires with a date code from like 2005 on the track (Carolina motorsports park). They weren't dangerous or liable to explode, they just had less grip. That was actually the best part about the car, it didnt have a ton of grip and was a LOT of fun. I would have no issue with running through OEM tires on that car until they were worse out, age or not.

Heads is a complicated issue. The actual failure rate is very low, it's totally overblown here. The result however I'd catastrophic. There are various checks for it, the wiggle test, listening to the valves, etc. The reality of it is, there are way more ls7s with high miles and no issues on stock heads as there are engines that blew up from the valves while stock. It's certainly scary, but also overblown. If I was the seller, theres mo way I'd drop my price because it had stock heads. But if I was a buyer, I'd certainly try to get them to pay for new heads.

Last bit of advice. Dont lose a car of a few grand. Your enjoyment and time is worth more than the 2k difference in price. You could buy this car at 40k and have no heads issues ever, or buy a car for 38k to pay for heads and have the engine grenade on the trip home. Hell, you could buy a car with heads already done and get impaled by a pipe flying out the back of a truck on your way home. You cant let fear rule your decisions and life.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:19 PM
cdumitru78
Heel & Toe

Good advice, although I would honestly replace tires asap, that does matter to me. We are getting into the wet season here and I would not risk it, not worth it. If it was 2 grand, I would go for it, but he is stuck on 45k which I think is too high.

Originally Posted by FAUEE
People o here make a big deal about the age of tires, and its TOTALLY overblown. I drove tires with a date code from like 2005 on the track (Carolina motorsports park). They weren't dangerous or liable to explode, they just had less grip. That was actually the best part about the car, it didnt have a ton of grip and was a LOT of fun. I would have no issue with running through OEM tires on that car until they were worse out, age or not.

Heads is a complicated issue. The actual failure rate is very low, it's totally overblown here. The result however I'd catastrophic. There are various checks for it, the wiggle test, listening to the valves, etc. The reality of it is, there are way more ls7s with high miles and no issues on stock heads as there are engines that blew up from the valves while stock. It's certainly scary, but also overblown. If I was the seller, theres mo way I'd drop my price because it had stock heads. But if I was a buyer, I'd certainly try to get them to pay for new heads.

Last bit of advice. Dont lose a car of a few grand. Your enjoyment and time is worth more than the 2k difference in price. You could buy this car at 40k and have no heads issues ever, or buy a car for 38k to pay for heads and have the engine grenade on the trip home. Hell, you could buy a car with heads already done and get impaled by a pipe flying out the back of a truck on your way home. You cant let fear rule your decisions and life.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:19 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by 919cw313
^ There's nothing wrong with being proud of your car, but this guy sounds delusional, even for a Corvette owner.

Like I said before, the "super rare" Cooksey Edition does nothing for me.
Special editions are tough. If it isnt something you like, people often look past it having more value. I think this is the crystal red one, which does nothing for me, but the reality is that it is something different than a run of the mill victory red c6z. If it isnt something that appeals to you, it's hard to justify the increase, but the reality is, the value is there for someone.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:27 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Good advice, although I would honestly replace tires asap, that does matter to me. We are getting into the wet season here and I would not risk it, not worth it. If it was 2 grand, I would go for it, but he is stuck on 45k which I think is too high.
45k seems like a good asking price, but I still say 40 to 42 is fair.

Honestly the Goodyear tires that came with the car suck in the rain (and in general). If you're going to be driving it in the wet, forget the age or mileage, the tires themselves are trash. The eagle G2s are a lot better, but still not great. If I was doing a lot of wet driving, I'd get the nitro invo, it isnt a particularly good tire, it's not what I'd consider a sports car tire, and it doesnt last that long, but they are GREAT in the rain. They shed water like crazy and hardly lose any grip in the wet. Price is pretty good too.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:30 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
This is a WAG so take it with a grain of salt.
1. It will need new tires.
2. It will need the valve issue addressed.
3. If serviced regularly? No penalty
So, all that considered, if it were me, I would pay no more than $20K and probably less. I would start the discussion at $15K
Lol, You are kidding, right? If you COULD buy this car for 20k, it would be the steal of the century
Old 10-20-2018, 11:35 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

You are delusional. It depends upon the brand and what tire. I just bought a 13 with the original michelins on it and they are positively unsafe. I had a flat a few days in to the ownership. When they took the tire off I had to specifically tell them to put the tire back on the car because they were not going to do it. The inside of the tire was that bad and there was that much debris that came loose from the inside of the tire that they did not want to put it back on. They are dry checked on the outside a hundred percent. All of the surface has lateral checks all over and they are shot. They've got way more than half the tread left. There was a day maybe when they used to be a y rated speed Tire. That day is long past.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:18 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
You are delusional. It depends upon the brand and what tire. I just bought a 13 with the original michelins on it and they are positively unsafe. I had a flat a few days in to the ownership. When they took the tire off I had to specifically tell them to put the tire back on the car because they were not going to do it. The inside of the tire was that bad and there was that much debris that came loose from the inside of the tire that they did not want to put it back on. They are dry checked on the outside a hundred percent. All of the surface has lateral checks all over and they are shot. They've got way more than half the tread left. There was a day maybe when they used to be a y rated speed Tire. That day is long past.
A few things... your 13 didnt come with micheline from the factory, they would have been goodyear's. What was unsafe about them? Did they actually chunk apart? Or did they have weathers cracking on the surface and you were sold on their being u safe.

Its well k own that tires lose grip as they age. But they are no worse than cheap tires. They're only unsafe if you dont respond accordingly. I contend that if you lose control because old tires didnt have enough grip, you weren't in control in the first place. I've never seen a tire explode from old age,, which I would agree is unsafe.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:34 AM
wstafford
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

A few are worried about service records. How much service should have been done on a 7000 mile car. hell it's still new. service would be the last thing I'd worry about. You fellas that say no more than 20,000, how much would you sell your car for? Dam
Stafford
Old 10-21-2018, 07:17 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

A few things... your 13 didnt come with micheline from the factory, they would have been goodyear's. What was unsafe about them? Did they actually chunk apart? Or did they have weathers cracking on the surface and you were sold on their being u safe.

Its well k own that tires lose grip as they age. But they are no worse than cheap tires. They're only unsafe if you dont respond accordingly. I contend that if you lose control because old tires didnt have enough grip, you weren't in control in the first place. I've never seen a tire explode from old age,, which I would agree is unsafe.
they are checking very bad on the outside and I had a flat that I needed fixed and when I took it apart the tire was all full of rubber. It's coming apart from the inside too. I took it off as soon as the tire pressure monitor alarm went off. It didn't go another mile. Still had 15 psi or whatever when I removed it. So at least for me, it was never flat.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:42 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

A few things... your 13 didnt come with micheline from the factory, they would have been goodyear's.
Oddly enough, I was told it came with the michelins. And they were the original tires. I had no reason to believe otherwise.

So while you may be correct, it would appear Goodyear no longer makes those tires, or any tire that fits that car for that matter.
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire/search/2013_CHEVROLET_CORVETTE_427?addr=Lock+Ha ven%2C+PA+17745%2C+USA&zip=17745&lat=41. 3576886&lng=-77.5160788

Last edited by K-Spaz; 10-21-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To what's she worth - 2008 corvette 427 limited edition z06

Old 10-21-2018, 09:00 AM
SnakeQ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

My 13' came with Michelin as stock!!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 449er
Lol, You are kidding, right? If you COULD buy this car for 20k, it would be the steal of the century
On the price we can agree, it would be a good price. I had a 2008 Z06 and I know about all the issues they had, just didn't mention them all.
For the poster who thought the Michelins were OEM, they are not. ALL 2008 Z06's came with the Goodyears and they were not very good when they were new. At 10 years those tires would be barely safe enough to drive directly to the tire store for new ones.
For the poster that thought the valve issue was overblown, you should talk to the two folks I knew who had it happen to them, they wouldn't agree.
So to continue, there is a new Master Cylinder TSB that came out some years ago when GM finally decided to upgrade the WORST master cylinder it has been my displeasure to deal with. Go to the Z06 section and spend a week looking for dirty clutch fluid, failures, etc.

Finally, to the OP, a lot of folks here hold the Z06 up to a higher standard JUST because it's a Corvette. While the Z06 was a wonderful beast, I sold mine because of the actual and potential issues. I would buy the car at $20K because I know I would have to put at LEAST $10K into to fix what, to me, flaws I know exist.
PS How often were the oil changes done? If not at least once a year, run Forrest run.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

One other thing, just went over to the Z06 forum and guess what, even today, 21 Oct. 2018 there are STILL valve issues going on. Buyer be VERY aware when it comes to the LS7.

Quick Reply: what's she worth - 2008 corvette 427 limited edition z06