C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Answer to why are C7's so ugly

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:29 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

I was privileged to drive my friend’s 2015 this past week. An absolute pleasure. I may have to “move up”
Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yea...a lot of C-6 bias in this arena. I'm not big on the 7 rear end either, but it wouldn't stop me from getting one. if for no other reason just to get a little better interior quality.
Agree with ya on this, too - but it would have to be the ZR1....ok, wouldn't deny a Z06 either.
As far as interior quality not sure it is that big of a difference (I have the 4LT pkg) unless you are including all of the electronics - but for me (old guy, just turned 60) - I prefer the classic gauge look and do not need everything to be touch screen controlled or connected via smart phone. I know, I know- I'm in the minority on that front.

Last edited by cal45; 10-21-2018 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mkitt27 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

Aztecs May be fugly, but the owners love them. It’s one of “those things” - inexplicable love for a truly quirky, but niche functional car. Is this the same for C7 owners ?

Just kidding.

I think the C7 is beautiful. Its aluminum siding/gutter formed hood and all.

Just kidding, again. All Corvettes are beautiful. Just like all of God’s children.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:36 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by OlyC6
I wonder if Ferrari owners bad-mouth newer rigs...?
I can't speak to Ferrari owners, but in the Porsche world there are plenty of owners who embrace what's new and also plenty who bemoan the changes.
For many, the last real 911 was the '97 model - the last year of air cooling (really, air/oil cooling). Many also discount the Boxster/Cayman as cheap and engine in the wrong spot.
Someone else mentioned the change model and early adopters, the mass in the middle, and the never changers. Applies here as well other areas.
In 20 years we'll still complain about the new C11 and how much better the C7 was...
Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 AM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mkitt27
I can't speak to Ferrari owners, but in the Porsche world there are plenty of owners who embrace what's new and also plenty who bemoan the changes.
For many, the last real 911 was the '97 model - the last year of air cooling (really, air/oil cooling). Many also discount the Boxster/Cayman as cheap and engine in the wrong spot.
Someone else mentioned the change model and early adopters, the mass in the middle, and the never changers. Applies here as well other areas.
In 20 years we'll still complain about the new C11 and how much better the C7 was...
It happens with Ferrari owners as well, but to a much less degree.....and the comments seem much less abrasive lol. I respect the REASON for the styling on the 488, but aesthetically does nothing for me. I believe the design of the 458 and F430 are better looking but thats my opinion, no more valid than anyone elses. I'm always amazed at the animosity some Corvette owners have against one another on this site.....C6 vs C7, manual vs auto, etc, etc....
Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by cal45
Agree with ya on this, too - but it would have to be the ZR1....ok, wouldn't deny a Z06 either.
As far as interior quality not sure it is that big of a difference (I have the 4LT pkg) unless you are including all of the electronics - but for me (old guy, just turned 60) - I prefer the classic gauge look and do not need everything to be touch screen controlled or connected via smart phone. I know, I know- I'm in the minority on that front.
Well i'm right there with ya in the 60's and also like the classic gauge looks and agree with your assessment of all this hog-wash techno crap . I was more or less referring to the cheapness of the C-6 interior. I haven't looked at a 7 interior up close, but theres supposed to be quite an improvement in quality over the 6's.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 AM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Don't know why C6 owners call the C7 ugly....:
I don't know what else to call this but ugly, I can't imagine opening up the garage and seeing this every morning. The convertibles are a little better.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:43 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

I think the profile of the C7 is gorgeous but the tail lights are hideous and I don't like all those sharp angles. Every time I see one I get this impulse to pull out a belt sander and smooth all those edges. But soon the mid engine C8 will be out and we'll all pine for the good old days of C7's.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:00 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Roadster
I don't know what else to call this but ugly, I can't imagine opening up the garage and seeing this every morning. The convertibles are a little better.

I could deal with the video game dashboard and wrinkled hood if it looked like this.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:17 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

same sort of topic came up when Cadillac went to the "edgy" design on the CTS models...................

the "old traditionalists" were aghast with the change, but soon it became the mantra which helped that division evolve into one younger aged people sought out too.............

GM did hit a home run with the C7, just based on sales volumes alone compared to the C6 generation, which continued through the economic downturn days of 2008 - 10 and the profits it brought into the corporate structure.

Sure it was a big departure from the existing C5 & C6 platforms which shared a lot of same major design components, but time waits or stands still for no one, so evolve or be left behind.

My opinion is the C7 is different than what was around for years before, but it doesn't mean it is any less a Corvette..........................

like both of these models from each generation too......................... only room for one, and mine is 1 of 251 so it has it's special place in my garage................

Old 10-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by montman

I could deal with the video game dashboard and wrinkled hood if it looked like this.
If I could actually fit in a C7 without hitting my head this would be the first thing I did.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:39 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Not ugly to me, I like it and have not had anyone say that is one ugly C7 Z06.

Last edited by dvilin; 10-22-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:43 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Car companies that carry desired model lines always have a challenge "moving on" and "keeping up". The particular challenge with Corvettes is they are desirable and have loyalists with every series and they're mass produced. So the loyalists tend to be a much bigger voice when the group is large.

Corvette is quite a bit behind true performance cars of today, at least two generations. A late 2017 C&D test of 12 "fast" cars put the C7 GS 11 out of 12, only beating a Lexus model. The C8 is very promising if GM wants to start playing with the big boys and leave the little ones like GT500s, Demons, and Hellcats, etc., in the rear view mirror. If you're going to put 600 hp and up, down on the pavement in a lightweight (3000 lb) car, you need AWD. You also need some modern engine designs, which frankly, isn't even modern anymore. A V8 with DOHC, Variable cam phasing and more. The C8 teases to be that car. Hope so.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:52 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Originally Posted by dvilin
Not ugly to me, I like it and have not had anyone say that is one ugly C7 Z06.
I wouldn't call it "ugly" either, certainly eye-catching but its's just way, way too "busy" is the best description I can think of. Way too many lines, scoops and colors for me.

I hate to admit it but IMO the new Mustangs and Challengers are far better looking cars than what Chevy is putting out these days.

Last edited by 89Roadster; 10-22-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:14 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Roadster
I wouldn't call it "ugly" either, certainly eye-catching but its's just way, way too "busy" is the best description I can think of. Way too many lines, scoops and colors for me.

I hate to admit it but IMO the new Mustangs and Challengers are far better looking cars than what Chevy is putting out these days.
Wow... you really are not in tune with factual data. Just YOUR opinion. Mustangs, Challengers better than the new Camaro.. C7 Zs????? Put on your glasses. FYI.. FORD IS GOING BROKE. THEY DON'T BUILD CARS ANYMORE EXCEPT STANGS... THEY NEED $200+ M FROM THE CITY OF DETROIT TO BUILD THEIR BIG NEW DETROIT HEADQUARTERS. FIAT /CHRYSLER??? DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THEIR BANK ACCOUNTS.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:30 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
Wow... you really are not in tune with factual data. Just YOUR opinion. Mustangs, Challengers better than the new Camaro.. C7 Zs????? Put on your glasses. FYI.. FORD IS GOING BROKE. THEY DON'T BUILD CARS ANYMORE EXCEPT STANGS... THEY NEED $200+ M FROM THE CITY OF DETROIT TO BUILD THEIR BIG NEW DETROIT HEADQUARTERS. FIAT /CHRYSLER??? DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THEIR BANK ACCOUNTS.
Did I say better or did I say "look better"? And nobody's opinion is factual, that's why it's called an opinion. Ford also wasn't the company that needed a govt. bailout to keep from going under, that was GM.

As far as factual numbers, they're both outselling the Camaro this year and the Mustang has outsold it for 4 years in a row.

Last edited by 89Roadster; 10-22-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:57 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
If I could actually fit in a C7 without hitting my head this would be the first thing I did.
Putting C6 taillights on a C7 makes as much sense as putting C7 taillights on a C6......Zero.....
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (10-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Answer to why are C7's so ugly

Old 10-22-2018, 04:58 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
same sort of topic came up when Cadillac went to the "edgy" design on the CTS models...................

the "old traditionalists" were aghast with the change, but soon it became the mantra which helped that division evolve into one younger aged people sought out too.............

GM did hit a home run with the C7, just based on sales volumes alone compared to the C6 generation, which continued through the economic downturn days of 2008 - 10 and the profits it brought into the corporate structure.

Sure it was a big departure from the existing C5 & C6 platforms which shared a lot of same major design components, but time waits or stands still for no one, so evolve or be left behind.

My opinion is the C7 is different than what was around for years before, but it doesn't mean it is any less a Corvette..........................

like both of these models from each generation too......................... only room for one, and mine is 1 of 251 so it has it's special place in my garage................

I don't think i'd go so far as to call it a "Home Run". Too many people don't like it whether it be for bias reasons or not. I think in the ***** of Corvette....it is a stand up double at best.....
Old 10-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
Ford is not broke, they are still reporting profits. Also Ford doesn't care about cars because the F Series is the best selling truck consistently every year.
If you do want a car though they still make...
Edge
Fiesta
Focus
Fusion
Energi
C-Max
Ecosport
Taurus
Transit Connect
Calm down. It's just the internet
Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Putting C6 taillights on a C7 makes as much sense as putting C7 taillights on a C6......Zero.....
Unless you just can't stand the Pontiac tail lights, then it makes perfect sense.

Quick Reply: Answer to why are C7's so ugly