Seat Foam - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Foam

Old 10-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Fly N Low
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Seat Foam

I have an 05 Coupe and am planning to do the seat foam upgrade kit. I thought since I'm in there I will get some new foam cushions for the bottom section of both seats. My question is for you guys that have done that are the after market lower foam cushions OK quality or should I get some OEM lower seat foam?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Corvette_Ed
CF Senior Member

I ordered mine through Corvette America for both my C5 and my C6. They had the best price. If you're replacing the seat base foam, though, you should consider adding a seat rebuild kit to each so the new foam will last longer.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Ruouthere
CF Member

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed View Post
I ordered mine through Corvette America for both my C5 and my C6. They had the best price. If you're replacing the seat base foam, though, you should consider adding a seat rebuild kit to each so the new foam will last longer.
Completely agree otherwise the new foam will breakdown.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 AM
vara411
CF Senior Member

^^^ I did precisely this (both the new foam AND seat repair kit) about 3 weeks ago and recommend it whole-heartedly. Additionally, I used parts of the old foam (the velcro anchors) to protect the NEW foam on the underside where the metal rails make contact. Feel free to PM me for questions. It's a tedious little project but a MASSIVE upgrade for very little cost!

Before...

After!

Last edited by vara411; 10-23-2018 at 12:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vara411 For This Useful Post:
Fly N Low (10-24-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Fly N Low
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I had plan to use the rebuild kit under the new foam but I thought I had seen on the forum that the OEM foam was better than the after market foam what did you find on the ones you have done. My seats don't have heat.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 PM
HOXXOH
CF Senior Member

I posted this simple fix to cure the sagging seat bottom several years ago. It still doesn't sag after another 50K miles.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1582746195
Old 10-24-2018, 10:26 AM
hydrasport
CF Senior Member

I added new aftermarket "firmer" foam to the drivers seat. It was uncomfortable to me and it didn't get any better over time. When I recovered the seats, new OEM foam was installed in the drivers seat bottom and the aftermarket seat bottom foam was moved to the passenger seat. I did some work to the new OEM foam to protect the areas that could get damaged by the seat frame and added a little more support to the front edge of the seat foam. If I had to do it over again, I would get the OEM foam and add a little protection in the areas that failed on the original seat foam.
The Following User Says Thank You to hydrasport For This Useful Post:
Fly N Low (10-24-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:19 AM
RussM05
CF Senior Member

The problem with the OEM seat is there is a 3" gap where the bolsters are and over time as you climb in/out the bolsters drop down in that gap.

The Seat Repair Kit adds foam support there so they never drop down. Good kit and cheap, too.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: