C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zen6 Morimoto Xb Corvette First Gen LED Headlights DRL Harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by rufuspokie
When you said everything works well, could you elaborate. For example, does everything work with the headlight switch set to "auto?" Do the headlights go on and off automatically when the dashboard sensor senses the need for them? Do the white DRL's remain on when the amber signal lights are activated? Do you have any hyperflashing of the directionals when the headlights are OFF?
The Radio Flyer harness works perfectly with the Gen 1 lights for me. No hyper flashing. The hocky-stick DRL goes off when the amber turn signals come on (per federal and EU regulations). Flash-to-pass works. Everything works perfectly in "auto." So far as I am concerned, the RF harness is the perfect solution for the Gen 1 lights.
The following users liked this post:
rufuspokie (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
The Radio Flyer harness works perfectly with the Gen 1 lights for me. No hyper flashing. The hocky-stick DRL goes off when the amber turn signals come on (per federal and EU regulations). Flash-to-pass works. Everything works perfectly in "auto." So far as I am concerned, the RF harness is the perfect solution for the Gen 1 lights.
I agree. With the RF harness and Gen 1 headlights, mine works as described.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

When you said everything works well, could you elaborate. For example, does everything work with the headlight switch set to "auto?" Do the headlights go on and off automatically when the dashboard sensor senses the need for them? Do the white DRL's remain on when the amber signal lights are activated? Do you have any hyperflashing of the directionals when the headlights are OFF?
does everything work with the headlight switch set to "auto?" yes.

Do the headlights go on and off automatically when the dashboard sensor senses the need for them? Yes, as best I can tell.

Do the white DRL's remain on when the amber signal lights are activated? No. When the amber turn signals are activated, the white DRL goes off on that side.

Do you have any hyperflashing of the directionals when the headlights are OFF? No.
rufuspokie (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 03:02 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I also bought my lights from Umnitza (Gen 1) and a wiring harness from Radio Flyer. I have one small issue. When I use a turn signal, the "L" driving light flashes quickly. It then goes out and the signal works fine (with the headlights off). With the headlights on, everything works OK. I have ordered a couple resistors and was told that would fix the problem. Honestly I don't think I should have to buy the resistors, but they're only a couple bucks (and the labor to install). I'm pretty happy with everything, for the most part, and if this "fix" works.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:26 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts

Wow, those look beautiful!!!!
I'm sharing those images everywhere!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:28 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Now, as some of you are aware, when we did some testing with the RF, ours, and no harness, we were able to identify various quirks of the process with every single harness (and none).

The issue is mostly what quirk you are willing to live with. Not every solution is "perfect" .
The harness the factory build is only for Gen 1. Additional wires provided that we tested along side the RF harness for the Gen 1 lights did not do what they were supposed to do.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:31 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by info@umnitza.com
Now, as some of you are aware, when we did some testing with the RF, ours, and no harness, we were able to identify various quirks of the process with every single harness (and none).

The issue is mostly what quirk you are willing to live with. Not every solution is "perfect" .
The harness the factory build is only for Gen 1. Additional wires provided that we tested along side the RF harness for the Gen 1 lights did not do what they were supposed to do.
Are these "additional wires" a T-tap on the RF harness red wire (pin E) on the end closest to the headlight and an AMP connector those goes to the single AMP connector on the headlight? Was done on Todd's car? I saw a post on July 20, 2018, that he turned off the DRL's by using a Tech II to change the BCM to Mexico and activated the rear fog option. Is his car still set that way or did he change it back? Would this make a difference on the wiring change to the RF harness?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:49 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

AFAIK, todd is back to work and won't be as available as before, but I'll inquire to see if he is available for further data points as required. he's quite amenable.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Was it Todd's car that you used for testing of the RF harness with the additional wiring?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:06 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

yes.
PDsVettes (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 PM
rufuspokie
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR LAT
I also bought my lights from Umnitza (Gen 1) and a wiring harness from Radio Flyer. I have one small issue. When I use a turn signal, the "L" driving light flashes quickly. It then goes out and the signal works fine (with the headlights off). With the headlights on, everything works OK. I have ordered a couple resistors and was told that would fix the problem. Honestly I don't think I should have to buy the resistors, but they're only a couple bucks (and the labor to install). I'm pretty happy with everything, for the most part, and if this "fix" works.

I also have the same problem. If I am correct...resistors will NOT help.

Last edited by rufuspokie; 03-18-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 PM
rufuspokie
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveN355
does everything work with the headlight switch set to "auto?" yes.

Do the headlights go on and off automatically when the dashboard sensor senses the need for them? Yes, as best I can tell.

Do the white DRL's remain on when the amber signal lights are activated? No. When the amber turn signals are activated, the white DRL goes off on that side.

Do you have any hyperflashing of the directionals when the headlights are OFF? No.
One last question: With the Generation 1 headlights, and the RF harness, do you still have the additional wire running to the fuse box connected?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:15 AM
millertimevette
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One last question: With the Generation 1 headlights, and the RF harness, do you still have the additional wire running to the fuse box connected?
I have Gen 1 headlights on my 2008 Base. I have the wire going to the fuse panel as per original instructions. Now, this is a Canadian prepared car and DLR lights were mandated by the Federal Gov. back then. So my DLR is bright and stays on when signals are used. No hyper flash. Overall work as they should be. Also, work in auto mode

Last edited by millertimevette; 03-19-2019 at 02:17 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-19-2019, 12:09 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

yes, you should still run it.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by millertimevette
I have Gen 1 headlights on my 2008 Base. I have the wire going to the fuse panel as per original instructions. Now, this is a Canadian prepared car and DLR lights were mandated by the Federal Gov. back then. So my DLR is bright and stays on when signals are used. No hyper flash. Overall work as they should be. Also, work in auto mode
Do you have the RF harness or the one from Umnitza? They do not provide the same functionality.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No offence, but I hope you're wrong about the resistor not going to fix the issue "rufuspokie" (please), but I do appreciate your input. I sent Radio Flyer a video of the problem and that's what he said was the fix. He said he had seen the problem before in other lights (not these new lights). I'm really hoping he's right because it does bother me. When I ordered his harness, he said he was going to experiment a little on the driving light issues to try and answer some questions. I have no idea what he did for this experiment though, something about the brightness of the driving lights.

I have read on here that if you have another harness, you don't have to run the wire to the fuse box, but now I'm seeing that you should. I just wish all parties involved could get together and figure this out, after all these lights are not cheap, but if they don't work correctly, they sure do look cheap. It's frustrating!

This is pretty much the story of my life. I read on here that many people have gotten their lights from Umnitza and their harness from Radio Flyer, and everything works correctly, why won't mine? Is it a glitch in the lights, or in the harness from experimenting? That's the problem with buying the complete set up from two or more different people/vendors. I'm not complaining about any one person or vendor in particular, I guess I'm just venting...

Last edited by NVR LAT; 03-19-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:27 AM
millertimevette
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PDsVettes
Do you have the RF harness or the one from Umnitza? They do not provide the same functionality.
I am not using any harness for my lights other than the wire to the fuse block. I did buy the harness from Umnitza but have not installed it and at this point, the way the light is operating see no point to install them.
PDsVettes (03-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Zen6 Morimoto Xb Corvette First Gen LED Headlights DRL Harness

Old 03-24-2019, 09:04 PM
pql-lbc
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

So...four months after getting the Gen1 Morimoto headlights installed and I still can't get the damn things to work as advertised: Here is my Morimoto saga:

- Bought the 1st gen Morimoto harness but returned them after they were discovered to not be ready for prime time.
- Bought and installed the RF harness without the fusetap harness and the combo didn't work for me (the hocky pucks only lit up when parking light or headlights were turned on, otherwise, they were Tango Uniform.
- Worked with George from Radioflyer (man's a pro and great vendor) who spent an ungodly amount of time troubleshooting my issues to no avail.
- Kept the RF harness hooked up but also installed the fusetap harness. This allowed the hockey sticks to light up when all other lights are off. However, in this configuration, the hockey sticks/DRL no longer turned off when the turn signals were engaged.

Although not at all plug-n-play as advertised, I was resigned to live with this arrangement until just last week when:

- The amber LED's started hyper-flashing when the turn signal was engaged. Added to the madness is that the top half of the amber LED's did not even light up.
- This only occurred on the passenger side, not the driver side. Go figure...
- This weekend, I uninstalled the RF harness and the hyper-flashing turn signals disappeared. However, now my hockey sticks for some reason will dim from 100% (when no parking lights or headlights are on) to 50% brighness whenever I step on the brakes.

What next?

Last edited by pql-lbc; 03-25-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:41 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

paul, you have email reply.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:11 AM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Did you read this from George at Radio Flyer?

Originally Posted by pql-lbc
So...four months after getting the Gen1 Morimoto headlights installed and I still can't get the damn things to work as advertised: Here is my Morimoto saga:

- Bought the 1st gen Morimoto harness but returned them after they were discovered to not be ready for prime time.
- Bought and installed the RF harness without the fusetap harness and the combo didn't work for me (the hocky pucks only lit up when parking light or headlights were turned on, otherwise, they were Tango Uniform.
- Worked with George from Radioflyer (man's a pro and great vendor) who spent an ungodly amount of time troubleshooting my issues to no avail.
- Kept the RF harness hooked up but also installed the fusetap harness. This allowed the hockey sticks to light up when all other lights are off. However, in this configuration, the hockey sticks/DRL no longer turned off when the turn signals were engaged.

Although not at all plug-n-play as advertised, I was resigned to live with this arrangement until just last week when:

- The amber LED's started hyper-flashing when the turn signal was engaged. Added to the madness is that the top half of the amber LED's did not even light up.
- This only occurred on the passenger side, not the driver side. Go figure...
- This weekend, I uninstalled the RF harness and the hyper-flashing turn signals disappeared. However, now my hockey sticks for some reason will dim from 100% (when no parking lights or headlights are on) to 50% brighness whenever I step on the brakes.

What next?

Quick Reply: Zen6 Morimoto Xb Corvette First Gen LED Headlights DRL Harness