C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:42 PM
reuben
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Sound Deadening

Hi Guys,

After installing sound deadening in many areas of my car, I still get a lot of road noise. The noise seems to be coming from the rear speaker area. When driving the car, I can hear the noise in my right ear. When I am a passenger, I can hear it in my left ear.

I have sprayed on sound deadening to the underside of the car, removed the rear wheels and inner fender wells, and sprayed the chassis, inside of the inner fender wells, plus sprayed the outside of the inner fender wells. Removed the carpet in the hatch area, the seats and carpet in the cockpit and console area, and applied Dynamat. I still get a lot of road noise.

Is it the weatherstripping on the doors? Very frustrated with the noise, Please help.

Thanx, Reuben
2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,698 Posts

It's part of the price if admission of owning a Corvette, especially a coupe. The open rear hatch acts as an echo chamber. Buy or fabricate a partition to close the hatch off and call that as good as it gets.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:21 AM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

First of all, what tires are you running? If you have Goodyear, get rid of them. Get tires that are highly rated for low noise and ride quality. Secondly, spray stuff is not effective. If you want to do it right, take the rear inner liners off again and close off the area in front of the wheel with a dynamat like material. Remove the hatch carpet and install mass loaded vinyl over dynamite. Do the sloped panel behind the seats too. Also purchase or make a partition. I made mine. You do all these things, with good tires, and you will be pleased. My 11 GS is quiet .... except for when I get on the gas!

Last edited by jost6453; 11-01-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

When I bought my Corvette in 2006, the rattles drove me nuts. I took it to the service department of the dealership where I bought the car since the car was under warranty. They told me they couldn't find anything wrong.

I took it to a second dealership. I went on a demonstration drive with their Corvette tech. He heard the rattles and said he would work on it the next day. I specifically told him not to pull the dash. When I checked on my car the next day, I found out they had assigned the work to another tech and he had pulled the dash.

I took it to a third dealership. They actually had tech who was very good at tracking down noises. He improved things by about 90%. All the work was under warranty. Some of the problems were caused by the tech who pulled the dash.

You might check with Corvette owners in your area to see if there is anybody in your area who is really good at tracking down noises. You run the risk of an expensive job as troubleshooting can take time. I had a noise I could have sworn was near my left ear. It wound up being a loose nut in the dash. I also had a problem with the hood that sent noise throughout the car. I wasn't able to track the noise to the hood and had to pay to have someone troubleshoot it.

You might want to take a ride in someone else's car to see how the noise levels compare.
The following users liked this post:
reuben (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:01 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I agree with Jost6453 on the above. I made one of his top and rear partition, and that does help alot by closing off the hatch area with foam, so it does supress the decibels.

As an added note, behind the passenger side speaker, there is a cabin vent valve that is required to make it easier to close the doors and hatch. That alone can bring in some road noise.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:04 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

How are your tires? Some tires produce a lot more noise after they get worn. A nice new set of good tires can make a lot of difference.
reuben (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:29 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I dunno....It's a Corvette.....not a Caddie....
reuben (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 AM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

A lot of the noise comes from the doors and it gets there from the end of the doors picking up rear tire noise and re radiating the noise into the passenger compartment like a drum. To get rid of it take of the door panel line the inside of the outer door skin with sound deadener then do the door itself and make up an 1/4" mdf panel to cover the opening that has the plastic membrane, then cover the back side of the inner door panel then finally I stuffed 2" rigid rock wool between the crash bar and the bottom of the door it will clear the glass just cut it into 2 pieces to get it in. This gives a major reduction in road noise. I use duct liner available at Lowes it is not as good some other sound deadener products like dynamat but is a lot cheaper I can do the whole car with about 4 rolls and it works. Also used it under the carpets and up the rear panel but stop it before the latch height as the antenna diversity system is on the other side and the aluminum backing hurts radio reception. Also stuff the area behind the B pillar with dacron pillow insulation you can get that at a craft store and you to can have a much quieter car, on mine I can actually hear the radio. Also as others have said get rid of the run flats they are terrible for noise I use a C5 air compressor and a plug kit.

Last edited by G8Pumpkin; 11-01-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:18 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

My old 05 C6 with 78000 miles and Firestone Run Flats with about 3/4 life left on them runs as quiet as a mouse with windows up. Only 3 noises I hear is exhaust, radio and a faint rattle behind my left ear in the B pillar area where the seat belt anchor bolt is. My car is all factory stock with original carpet and weatherstrip. No sound deadener of any kind. Matter of fact just before I bought mine on the first road test I noticed how smooth and quiet the car was.

Now, certain road pavings do make more noise than others. There is a stretch of Cross County Hgy East with weird concrete pave lines that does give me noise but as soon as I pass that section of road it's like a switch is flipped and the road is silent again.

One of my old C4's with I think GY tires sounded like a 4-wheeler with Desert Dog tires. A new set of TOYO tires cured that noise.
reuben (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 02:45 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I put Vibro sound deadening material down then covered everything with leather and suede. Next round is to put material in the inner rear wheel wells.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:21 PM
reuben
Heel & Toe

Hi jost6453,
Thanx for the info. I do not understand what you mean by installing a partition. Is this something that is installed behind the seats, blocking off the hatch area from the floor to the roof? I did also put a 3 layer pad in the hatch area as well as behind the seats. This just increased the drone from my Corsa exhaust system. I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports and at almost $700.00 a tire, I am reluctant to replace them. I will try the Dynamat in front of the wheels
Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 PM
reuben
Heel & Toe

Hi G8Pumpkin, Thanx for the info.What do you mean by stuffing the are behind the B pillar? Is this in the halo area?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:29 PM
reuben
Heel & Toe

Hi Grady, Wow, that looks like pro install. Did you have that done at an upholstery shop?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:32 PM
reuben
Heel & Toe

Hi 4SUMERZ, I was wondering were those vent where. I bet there will be a lot of noise from the tires at that location.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:58 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben
Hi Grady, Wow, that looks like pro install. Did you have that done at an upholstery shop?
Yes. He’s at SEMA right now. I will show more pics once it’s finished in a few weeks but all the carpet in the car was replaced with diamond leather.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:21 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I had a less noisy ride after I put Michelins on the car. Also non run flats are quiter than run flats.

Clif
Old 11-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by grady

I put Vibro sound deadening material down then covered everything with leather and suede. Next round is to put material in the inner rear wheel wells.
That looks very nice my friend, very nice. Cant imagine what they charged you, lot of sewing to do all that area
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Sound Deadening

Old 11-01-2018, 06:45 PM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Originally Posted by reuben
Hi G8Pumpkin, Thanx for the info.What do you mean by stuffing the are behind the B pillar? Is this in the halo area?
Yes if you pry the interior trim piece from the B pillar you can see there are voids that go all the way down to where the speakers are just stuff the area with the Dacron pillow stuffing cuts a lot of the road noise coming from the rear tires.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 PM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Originally Posted by grady

That is a really nice job.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:52 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jost6453
First of all, what tires are you running? If you have Goodyear, get rid of them. Get tires that are highly rated for low noise and ride quality. Secondly, spray stuff is not effective. If you want to do it right, take the rear inner liners off again and close off the area in front of the wheel with a dynamat like material. Remove the hatch carpet and install mass loaded vinyl over dynamite. Do the sloped panel behind the seats too. Also purchase or make a partition. I made mine. You do all these things, with good tires, and you will be pleased. My 11 GS is quiet .... except for when I get on the gas!
Agree, most noise comes from the rear tires / wheel well. Insulation & new tires will do the trick...
reuben (11-01-2018)

Quick Reply: C6 Sound Deadening