C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune cost here in Florida seems expensive - What did you pay ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Well, I am sorry I started a little '**** fit' here.

All I was saying is that if the normal dyno tune takes all of about 2 hours to do, that makes the cost $250 per hour after the $100 fee to HP Tuners has been paid.

Hey, what do I know, but $250 per hour for programming is a little steep.

Anyway ... it is what is is
Because that $80k dyno is free, and the building it is in, and utilties. Hell just buy your own dyno, throw it in your garage, go through the 4-6 years of schooling/leaning, and thousands of hours of training, and do it yourself.

I've seen a doctor replace a heart valve in less than an hour. I mean, why is that procedure $100k? The valve was $4k, I mean $96k to the doctor seems crazy.
The following users liked this post:
rajahhindi (11-03-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by rajahhindi

Are you going with the 90mm pulley or sticking with the 96?
I installed a 93mm drive pulley
Old 11-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro

You going to Miramar this Sunday weather permitting?
What's going on there ?

Old 11-02-2018, 11:47 AM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

IMO $600 for a dyno tune is cheap for a forced induction vehicle.

Around here in Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville area. It's about $500 to $550 for N/A setup with cam, headers and CAI.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:25 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
.............I've seen a doctor replace a heart valve in less than an hour. I mean, why is that procedure $100k? The valve was $4k, I mean $96k to the doctor seems crazy.
LOL - Can we get Car Health Insurance to cover the cost of a tune?

Tampa Tuning (11-04-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Powertrain Dynamics
$450 flat, any vehicle, any setup with $150 for return visits for that vehicle. It's true most tuners copy and paste but a great tuner adjusts the tables line by line.

After tweaking everything line by line available in HP Tuners my GS M6 made 410/400 with just an LS7 exhaust on our garbage CA fuel. Which was up from the 396/395 with "standard" parameters.

Same man tuned my 302 fox mustang with vortech to 630whp on CA pump that passed smog with full accessories.

All tuners are not created equal.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:57 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Tuner in Tampa

As for 'Tampa Tuning' ... Every time I call Tampa Tuning on the phone, nobody ever answers. All I ever get is a recording to send them an email with my request. If I can't talk to someone on the phone, I will spend my money elsewhere.
Well, I am sorry I started a little '**** fit' here.

All I was saying is that if the normal dyno tune takes all of about 2 hours to do, that makes the cost $250 per hour after the $100 fee to HP Tuners has been paid.
Hey, what do I know, but $250 per hour for programming is a little steep.
You sound a bit frustrated selecting a shop to calibrate your supercharged Corvette. Sounds like a fun build that I think you'll enjoy after Howard gets done with it.

I understand what your saying, but think about this for a second. If I was calibrating your car, how would you feel if I stopped and answered my phone every 15 minutes. You'd probably start to get concerned I was getting distracted from properly calibrating your modified Supercharged Corvette. People reach out for me via telephone, Instagram, Facebook, Email, messenger, forums, and text. About 5 years ago, it wasn't as bad when it was just phone messages.

I really do think I calibrate the most LS series engines in the Tampa area, and sometimes its hard to get to everyone.

I dont break focus while im plugged into a car. I have 1000's of happy clients that when im plugged into a car or truck, that's my only focus for hours till the car is running right. My outgoing voicemail says to Email me. This way I can provide an in-depth answer late at night or early in the morning and not rush you off the phone so I can finish someone's car. I owe it to the client, And trust me my phone is ringing all day which is a good sign.

Ive been calibrating the LS series engines for almost 17 years, and I think most calibrators are priced pretty close, but the skill level is VERY different. All I do is calibrations. Numbers, Numbers, percent of Numbers, and splitting Numbers lol

The best thing about the aftermarket world in Florida is the inside guys know which shops suck, which are new to tuning, which upload other shops tune to their clients cars and call it tuned, which do sloppy work, and which shops stand on their own.
We've seen several shops take peoples money and go out of business. Then their employees open new shops. You're in good hands with Howard@Redline. He's the best shop on the east coast of Florida.

Check out my website: www.TampaTuning.com for pricing structure.
I once had a guy ask me why tuners charge so much. I left out all the details about experience and equipment cost bla bla bla. I asked him how much he paid for his air intake. He said $350 shipped and he felt some difference. After I calibrated his car and asked him how the car feels. He said "I never though the car had so much power left on the table from GM that tuning would bring out." I told him that's what everyone says.

On a side note my ZR1 air intake was $850 bucks. That hurt.

Ok lunch break is over for me. Enjoy the day and have fun with the car!
Phil
Email: Tuning@TampaTuning.com

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 11-17-2018 at 11:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tampa Tuning:
cal45 (11-02-2018), GRCTampa (11-03-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:08 PM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The real irony of it is that its SUPER easy. Theres a few values everyone adjusts the same, then they're going to modify the pe tables, which the software gives them correction values to paste in. Not really a whole lot of work. In fact, the guys behind megasquirt have an auto tuning option that hptuners has been told by its customer to NOT implement, because its ruin their business.

Of that 600, 100 is taken out off the bat for a license, but still 500 bucks to copy and paste some pr values is pretty good. I'm in the wrong business...
I think the initial investment of a dyno and a building have something to do with it.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:39 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

What's going on there ?
It's a monthly (first Sunday of the month) cruise in. Usually a few hundred cars, really nice stuff. The weather for this Sunday doesn't look to promising though. I think I may hold off on it.

Just to be clear it's Miromar outlet in Estero.

Last edited by pokerpro; 11-02-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Lord Vetter
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Prewoz
Here in The San Antonio area i received quotes from 2 different performance shops.

One was $600.00 and the other was $550. So seems like the going rate these days.
Who quoted you those prices?
Old 11-02-2018, 05:51 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Because that $80k dyno is free, and the building it is in, and utilties. Hell just buy your own dyno, throw it in your garage, go through the 4-6 years of schooling/leaning, and thousands of hours of training, and do it yourself.

I've seen a doctor replace a heart valve in less than an hour. I mean, why is that procedure $100k? The valve was $4k, I mean $96k to the doctor seems crazy.
THis! They get paid for what they know.
Paid almost 500 to have someone remove the ac coils and clean them...it was done in a few hrs tops. not hard but they knew how to do it right/quick, had the tools and I didnt.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

I just installed a supercharger on my 2011 GS (A6) ... Everybody I called here in Florida wants $600 to dyno tune my car using the HP Tuners software.

Now, this is not a 'canned' tune, or a 'remote' tune, but a 'hands-on' professional tune using a Dynojet or similar dyno.

The last time I had my GS dyno tuned was after installing a set of headers. That was about 5 years ago, but I don't remember paying 600 bucks for the dyno tune.

Is $600 a little excessive, or is that how much most people are now paying around the country for a full dyno tune nowadays?

Thanks .....
I do a car every couple months. HPtuners for gen4 and gen5 I won't get involved for less than around double that.
It isn't just the tech involved. Its owners/shops lack of knowledge about how to build the car in the first place.
I won't even agree to a price until I see the engine bay because of all the shoddy mess going around.
Shops can be worse than owners because they can cut corners or delegate work to the less experienced to save money or time, whereas the owner is less likely to if he is aware.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:08 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

One suggestion to people who either move from one tuner to another or are drag racing, is to buy the HP Tuners software. You have 8 credits included and each tuner won't need to charge you no matter what tuner you use that uses the same (almost universal) software. It only requires 2 credits per car, but each different tuner has to use 2 to do tuning on your car. With your own laptop and software, the tuner uses your computer rather than his. Then when you go someplace else to get updates after more mods, you aren't continuing to pay for more credits
Now the drag racers among us, would be able to do scans every pass and eventually dial in a tune that may have been started by a tuner, but making small tweaks to see the performance differences. That's not for the guy who adds big mods, but it's fine to dial in the little details as you look for the last of the power according to your scans and the timeslips. Real world tuning at the track beats a stationary dyno every time. Even if you just took your scans and matching timeslips to a tuner, he could spot the areas needing help without needing to go on a dyno.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Apples to oranges
Old 11-02-2018, 11:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I like the fact that a couple of real tuners chimed in like Tampa Tuning and Redline. There's some great pieces of truth in both their posts.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:04 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Way I look at it, for $600, turner is going to earn his keep tuning a S/C C6.
Hence first has to flash for 3 bar MAP sensor, has to deal with holding a 12.5 AFR through all the boost, not pushing the timing so far that is starts to detonate, and with a Meth kit added and it having to be tune in, and even E85 sensor that needs to be turned on and tune in these tables as well, lots of work to be done to get it all right.

Tuning a S/C C6 motor is not like just a few tweaks on a N/A motor with light mods and your done, but much, much more in depth work instead.

Truth is, if you have added a meth kit, and/or E85 kit and the turner does not know about these (or even that you have a S/C), then don't be surprised when the price of the tune increases when you get there. Hell, half the time, the wrong injectors are on the car for a S/C to start with, and they have to be replaced. Sometimes its the fuel pump that not making enough pressure/volume and it has to be resolve instead.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:39 AM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Interesting read.All motor builds differ, from basic bulds to off the charts and tuning effort required also changes. I have a friend with a shop up here who does custom tuning. I was blown away by the cost of a good quality dyno for one thing. You wonder why they charge what they do....check out what the machinery is worth! Then add software updates and other things...Bam hundreds of dollars per hour. Also tuners are not created equal! I have personally watched him tune about 100 cars or more. Often re tuning other shops builds. The safe gains he made on some were unbelievable in certain cases. This is a very vast topic, one we could go on about for great lengths. So that's all for now lol.

Last edited by Movie Muscle; 11-03-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno Tune cost here in Florida seems expensive - What did you pay ?

Old 11-03-2018, 05:54 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

When dealing with forced induction on ANY kind of car and needing a tune, do your research and find the best tuner you can. When dealing with Mustangs in the past I had to trailer my car 5-6 hours away to a good tuner as the local tuners couldn’t get my car right. No matter what, the good tune is gonna be less expensive than what a poor tune will cost to fix. NA cars are much more forgiving.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Thousands of hours in training ??......
Old 11-03-2018, 07:43 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Phil at Tampa tuned my supercharged Callaway.
here is what I walked away with;
1 he knows his stuff.
2 the car runs hard and safe.
3 he took his time. We drove for 2 hours I bet.
4 he adjusted the tranny, I have an auto.
5 any tuner will tell you a street tune is better.
6 in some areas we had to take tq out. I am not a big fan of just smoking tires. My preference.

you are lucky we have so many choices
😄
Tampa Tuning (11-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune cost here in Florida seems expensive - What did you pay ?