C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car to sit for two months.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:49 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313

We don’t need mr wizard, we need our resident expert on all things petroleum to get tagged so he can explain the science behind this.

Unfortunately I don’t remember his name, but IIRC it’s initials and the avatar is a red CTS? Anyone?
LMB ? I know it was three letters and he was in Houston Texas....He knows his **** for sure!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owc6
I may be confused about a lot of things , but not about gas vs. diesel...lol
Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
Has anyone mentioned Changing the oil if you let a Corvette sit for more than a week or two?

do dealers do this when the sit on the lot for > 1 year?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:57 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead
do dealers do this when the sit on the lot for > 1 year?

Oh hell no -- they aren't as **** as a few Vette owners.. you know the ones who change all fluids to a different manufacturer or type than what is in the manual, a Battery Tender every night before he kisses it goodnight, change oil before summer and at end off Fall, corrects the paint every month, cover it when it is in a garage, and never drive the things out of the neighborhood even on a 80° sunny day. It is like some of the guys think it is best to save the Corvette for the next owner or it gets to be a more valuable car by having low miles.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:47 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
Oh hell no -- they aren't as **** as a few Vette owners.. you know the ones who change all fluids to a different manufacturer or type than what is in the manual, a Battery Tender every night before he kisses it goodnight, change oil before summer and at end off Fall, corrects the paint every month, cover it when it is in a garage, and never drive the things out of the neighborhood even on a 80° sunny day. It is like some of the guys think it is best to save the Corvette for the next owner or it gets to be a more valuable car by having low miles.
WOW !!!! Sounds like you've been tickling the lizard there a little too much. I change my oil at the beginning of fall and at the beginning of spring, or which ever comes first......
The following users liked this post:
ZERRY 316 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM
endus
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 99 Posts

Driving patterns can change as you get older. Add to that a second car or truck that you actually like to drive, as opposed to some beater, and you have a recipe for low mileage. If the Corvette is sitting in the garage freshly washed and waxed and I need to go to the store, why the hell would I take the Corvette when my dope *** lifted FJ is just sitting there in the rain anyway? It's not a nice day, I can't drive it fast, the roads around my house range from "uninspiring" to "really horrible"...so I'm going to take the Corvette rather than the FJ...to prove I'm not a low mileage driver? For cool points? To add mileage that I'm not going to enjoy to increase the depreciation if I do decide to sell it? THAT doesn't make sense.

The other thing to realize is that detailing is a hobby for a lot of people. When you're young you have things like "friends" and you "do things with your friends". As you get older people are busy with their own lives or....some of us just really don't like people all that much, haha. Spending time detailing the car is something you want to do, whether its just because you like the car to be immaculate when you do take it out, or because you enjoy the process.

The flip side of this for the detailing crowd is that many people think their cars look great when in fact they look like absolute garbage. I ask myself how people can buy a car like a Vette and treat it like a used civic. Driving around with swirl marks all over it, dirty wheels, etc. It's like when you see those rich guys driving around in a brand new A8 (Audis seem to be a big culprit for this) that is all scratched and swirled up, it's got a big dent and dings on the doors, the wheels are brown with brake dust, etc. Buying an expensive car and having it look like a beater accord is not a good look at all. It makes you look like a way bigger ******* than someone who just drives a normal car because they aren't that in to cars.

I cannot emphasize enough that the secret of detailing is NOT TO SCRATCH THE CAR IN THE FIRST PLACE. You tell people about using the two bucket method to wash and they act like it's this huge pain in the *** but an extra 10 minutes when you wash can mean that you don't have to polish the car *at all* for two years and it will be almost completely swirl free the entire time. Anyone who is hitting the car with polish more often than annually is doing it wrong. It takes a while to figure this out and to lock down your routine but, once you do, you can drive an insanely clean car with very very little work. Covering it in the garage if it's been freshly washed and is going to sit for a while keeps dust off it that will introduce swirls when you wash it. It's all about minimizing the work you have to put into it. If 200 bucks for a cover and 30 seconds putting it on saves me and my bad back from having to spend 8 hours with the buffer, I am in.

I know some people who didn't change the oil in their car for 39k. I told them to trade it in...not to even start it again except to drive it to the dealer. They didn't listen and, naturally, the engine blew up shortly thereafter. So, it's all relative. Changing the oil every 2k like people did back in the day doesn't make sense anymore but every 5k or once a year? Sorry, that's just good maintenance for something you paid a lot of money for. I guess its now cool to waste money on a blown engine for want of 30 minutes for an oil change. If you're actually enjoying the car, as opposed to driving it like an old lady, you're probably running it up to redline every now and then and otherwise driving it hard. Changing the oil is preeeeetty important when you do that regularly.

Non-factory fluids? Really? Who criticizes people for that? LOL

Last edited by endus; 11-09-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Just an observation not directed at anyone particular. When you own the Corvette you can abuse it, pamper it or something in between. Such is life.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 11-09-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:18 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

Originally Posted by BillytheKidder

Why is that?
Heavy crime area.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:05 AM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly1119
Heavy crime area.
I don’t know where you are, but I’m not very worried where I am in Coral Ridge. My neighbors are vigilant.and there are cameras. There are more expensive cars than ours that sit out.

Last edited by BillytheKidder; 11-10-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:56 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

Originally Posted by BillytheKidder

I don’t know where you are, but I’m not very worried where I am in Coral Ridge. My neighbors are vigilant.and there are cameras. There are more expensive cars than ours that sit out.
Coral Ridge is a nice area but the simple fact is weather you spend 200K or 20 million your 1 mile from pretty bad areas in Ft Lauderdale.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:11 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by endus
Driving patterns can change as you get older. Add to that a second car or truck that you actually like to drive, as opposed to some beater, and you have a recipe for low mileage. If the Corvette is sitting in the garage freshly washed and waxed and I need to go to the store, why the hell would I take the Corvette when my dope *** lifted FJ is just sitting there in the rain anyway? It's not a nice day, I can't drive it fast, the roads around my house range from "uninspiring" to "really horrible"...so I'm going to take the Corvette rather than the FJ...to prove I'm not a low mileage driver? For cool points? To add mileage that I'm not going to enjoy to increase the depreciation if I do decide to sell it? THAT doesn't make sense.

The other thing to realize is that detailing is a hobby for a lot of people. When you're young you have things like "friends" and you "do things with your friends". As you get older people are busy with their own lives or....some of us just really don't like people all that much, haha. Spending time detailing the car is something you want to do, whether its just because you like the car to be immaculate when you do take it out, or because you enjoy the process.

The flip side of this for the detailing crowd is that many people think their cars look great when in fact they look like absolute garbage. I ask myself how people can buy a car like a Vette and treat it like a used civic. Driving around with swirl marks all over it, dirty wheels, etc. It's like when you see those rich guys driving around in a brand new A8 (Audis seem to be a big culprit for this) that is all scratched and swirled up, it's got a big dent and dings on the doors, the wheels are brown with brake dust, etc. Buying an expensive car and having it look like a beater accord is not a good look at all. It makes you look like a way bigger ******* than someone who just drives a normal car because they aren't that in to cars.

I cannot emphasize enough that the secret of detailing is NOT TO SCRATCH THE CAR IN THE FIRST PLACE. You tell people about using the two bucket method to wash and they act like it's this huge pain in the *** but an extra 10 minutes when you wash can mean that you don't have to polish the car *at all* for two years and it will be almost completely swirl free the entire time. Anyone who is hitting the car with polish more often than annually is doing it wrong. It takes a while to figure this out and to lock down your routine but, once you do, you can drive an insanely clean car with very very little work. Covering it in the garage if it's been freshly washed and is going to sit for a while keeps dust off it that will introduce swirls when you wash it. It's all about minimizing the work you have to put into it. If 200 bucks for a cover and 30 seconds putting it on saves me and my bad back from having to spend 8 hours with the buffer, I am in.

I know some people who didn't change the oil in their car for 39k. I told them to trade it in...not to even start it again except to drive it to the dealer. They didn't listen and, naturally, the engine blew up shortly thereafter. So, it's all relative. Changing the oil every 2k like people did back in the day doesn't make sense anymore but every 5k or once a year? Sorry, that's just good maintenance for something you paid a lot of money for. I guess its now cool to waste money on a blown engine for want of 30 minutes for an oil change. If you're actually enjoying the car, as opposed to driving it like an old lady, you're probably running it up to redline every now and then and otherwise driving it hard. Changing the oil is preeeeetty important when you do that regularly.

To............much............typing!
Old 11-10-2018, 04:34 PM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly1119
Coral Ridge is a nice area but the simple fact is weather you spend 200K or 20 million your 1 mile from pretty bad areas in Ft Lauderdale.
I don’t think we’re gonna spend much time worrying about it. The boat may sit at the dock for extended periods of time too. I guess that’s why we pay our insurance premiums.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:37 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr

No KIDDING !!!!! I should have printed it and put it on the porcelain thrown for future reading .......
Old 11-10-2018, 04:55 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr

Must be a lawyer.....LOL......just read the first sentence in each par.....
Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by endus

Quick Reply: Car to sit for two months.