Low miles on Mobile 1, necessary to change for winter? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low miles on Mobile 1, necessary to change for winter?

Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Trebor
CF Senior Member

Default Low miles on Mobile 1, necessary to change for winter?

I bought my 2006 in August from a dealership. The first thing I did was to change the oil and filter using Mobile 1 oil and filter. Right now I only have 700 miles on the oil. I may put another 300 on it before the snow flies and I have to store it for the winter. Mobile 1 is supposed to be a good oil that does not need to changed as often as conventional oil. Oil is hydro static, I know, but since the miles are low, do you think it is necessary to change it out for winter storage?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-07-2018, 09:19 AM
EVRose
CF Senior Member

I wouldn't.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM
maaxx
CF Senior Member

Default oil change

Hi Trebor,

same problem here in Canada.

No, had mine for 10 years, and usually change the oil 3-4 weeks prior to store it for the winter, Never had any problem. I always put a couple hundred miles also.

I wouldn't worry.

Let's wait for spring now

Cheers
Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

No need to change the oil after only 700 miles. Store the car for the winter, and then just start driving it in the spring. No need to change the oil anytime soon.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Not So Fast
CF Senior Member

Mine doesn't go into storage mode but I usually change oil & filter in Oct-Nov. But I'm wondering if its really necessary since I drive it about 1500 mi in that time frame, life of oil indicates 87% left before change needed. I admit I used to do it just because but I'm older now with a bad back and doing it aint real high on my to do list, am I wrong or just being lazy
NSF
Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Vette_DD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Owner's manual says you should change it at least once a year. Some low-mileage drivers do, some don't.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 AM
z06clif
CF Senior Member

Not necessary......
Clif
Old 11-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Trebor
CF Senior Member

Default Thanks for replies

Thanks for all your thought. I agree because Mobile 1 is a good synthetic oil and should handle a 1000 miles then being stored for 4 - 5 months. I will change it in the spring before driving it. But I couldn't see the point of paying for high end oil and then dumping it after a 1000 miles.

Have a great day,

Bob

Last edited by Trebor; 11-07-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:39 PM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I have done both on my car over the years, change prior to hibernation, or just after taking it back out in the Spring, or early summer.
My rule of thumb is:
f I don't have much mileage (<3000 miles) since my last oil change I don't change it prior to winter.
In that case, after putting on a few more thousands miles when I bring it back out of hibernation, I will change it then (usually in early June)
Last Fall, I did change mine prior to hibernation due to mileage, and ran all summer, putting over 7000 miles on it this running season. I did change it a few days ago, and it's now hibernating.
Yes, I now have just under 100,000 miles on my 2006. It is used for all of our running season road trips, so at least 6 - 10K miles per season.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 11-07-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:02 PM
FatsWaller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ View Post
I have done both on my car over the years, change prior to hibernation, or just after taking it back out in the Spring, or early summer.
My rule of thumb is:
f I don't have much mileage (<3000 miles) since my last oil change I don't change it prior to winter.
In that case, after putting on a few more thousands miles when I bring it back out of hibernation, I will change it then (usually in early June)
Last Fall, I did change mine prior to hibernation due to mileage, and ran all summer, putting over 7000 miles on it this running season. I did change it a few days ago, and it's now hibernating.
Yes, I now have just under 100,000 miles on my 2006. It is used for all of our running season road trips, so at least 6 - 10K miles per season.

However, I don't take mine on short runs, so I pretty much end up with the oil temps over 100C every time. I figure this should boil off any water that gets into the sump, so I feel much better about not changing the oil before the big sleep. Given the earlier cold temps this year, I figure the driving season is over, so after one last good run this Sunday past, I put it away yesterday.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Icecap
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by maaxx View Post
Hi Trebor,

same problem here in Canada.

No, had mine for 10 years, and usually change the oil 3-4 weeks prior to store it for the winter, Never had any problem. I always put a couple hundred miles also.

I wouldn't worry.

Let's wait for spring now

Cheers

Same here as I put ours into storage after entering it in a Labor Day car show. Due to health issues and my wife recovering from major surgery in September we only put a total of 1,700 miles on ours from April to September most of which were highway miles put on during cruises or going to and from car club events. Since things got hectic after my wife's surgery I didn't feel the urgency to change the oil prior to storage this year. I did add Sta-bil to the tank for last run home and topped off the tank with Chevron 94 octane before I parked it.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Not at all necessary. The respondent who said, "Do it every year before winter, and never had a problem"...why would you have a problem? If oil is just sitting in the sump, it is not degrading.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:17 PM
mikeCsix
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Like Vette DD mentions, it’s in the manual to change oil at least annually regardless of mileage.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:22 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

I know a couple of Corvette guys that change their oil every 2 years. I got no issues with that. Oil doesn't get old, it gets dirty from use. If you are not using it, it's not getting dirty.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 PM
vetteJPJ

I agree. Unless you are just doing it cause you like to mess with car, it is not necessary.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:53 PM
BlindSpot
CF Senior Member

I developed a bullet proof formula for how I decide whether to change the oil before I put the car in storage for winter, or wait until after it comes out in the spring. It's a really simple algorithm but works every time.

First, I take the calendar month/day, that the car is going in storage and subtract that from the calendar month/day, the car comes back out in Spring. Then I divide that number by the production date on the oil container, multiplied by the square root of the mileage on the odometer at the expected date of storage. Then I take that number and apply a Fibonacci sequence out to either the, 5th or 7th in the series (5th if the storage month is October; 7th if the storage month is November), then the logarithm of this result clearly tells me whether to change the oil before, or after winter storage.

I've been doing this for the last 87 years with no problems.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 PM
4SUMERZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlindSpot View Post
I developed a bullet proof formula for how I decide whether to change the oil before I put the car in storage for winter, or wait until after it comes out in the spring. It's a really simple algorithm but works every time.

First, I take the calendar month/day, that the car is going in storage and subtract that from the calendar month/day, the car comes back out in Spring. Then I divide that number by the production date on the oil container, multiplied by the square root of the mileage on the odometer at the expected date of storage. Then I take that number and apply a Fibonacci sequence out to either the, 5th or 7th in the series (5th if the storage month is October; 7th if the storage month is November), then the logarithm of this result clearly tells me whether to change the oil before, or after winter storage.

That formula will surely guarantee that the car will outlive you.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 PM
449er
CF Senior Member

Nope, Your Mobil 1 is good to go sitting for the winter
Old 11-07-2018, 08:43 PM
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikeCsix View Post
Like Vette DD mentions, itís in the manual to change oil at least annually regardless of mileage.
Pretty sure that's more of a requirement for warranty than anything else. So, not a bad idea if you're under warranty, but if your not, probably isn't going to hurt a thing.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM
SouthBaySurfer
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlindSpot View Post

I'll have to try that.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: