How Dirty Should Oil Be After Change? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Dirty Should Oil Be After Change?

Old 11-09-2018, 01:18 AM
  #21  
Cherokee Nation
CF Senior Member
 
Cherokee Nation's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: corpus christi Texas
Posts: 5,755
Thanked 181 Times in 174 Posts
Default

When I change my I remove the plug and go in and take a nap after two plus hrs all the old oil is out,I'm never in a hurry like the dealers or oil change places.
Cherokee Nation is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 AM
  #22  
mkitt27
CF Senior Member
 
mkitt27's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: Carver MN
Posts: 316
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobLo View Post
I really find it hard to believe that a DEALER would charge you for a change and not do it. They made enough on the service, probably cost them maybe $30-$40 so they made their money, why would they take that chance? Unless somebody screwed up there...I don't know!
When I had my C6Z heads done last month I also had them change oil. Private shop. He was quite surprised how black and nasty the oil was. My selling dealer claims, even w/ paperwork, its was done just over a year ago and 3000 miles. My shop doesn't buy it. Maybe the dealer messed up by accident, or not... either way not pleased and less trustful than before.
mkitt27 is online now  
Old 11-09-2018, 02:52 AM
  #23  
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member
 
Patsgarage's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Outside the Quick Stop N.J.
Posts: 8,268
Thanked 334 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by farmington View Post
Oil should stay like new for quite a while IF car has had good oil change history.
This.
I had a Grand Prix that I changed the oil every 3k on, the oil coming out looked almost as clean as the new oil going in. Oil should be changed while it is hot, this allows most of the contaminants to remain suspended in the oil when it is drained.
Diesel engines are a different story, I have to get used to the fact that the new oil in my Colorado is black before I back it out of the shop after an oil change.
Patsgarage is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 06:26 AM
  #24  
jashmore1234
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,092
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Check the filter to see if it was changed. It hold .5 quart of dirty oil.
jashmore1234 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 10:19 AM
  #25  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,049
Thanks: 0
Thanked 150 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rich Farr
Oil was definitely changed. Much cleaner - not as clean as I thought it should be before driving. I suspect some of old oil contaminated the new.

Obviously I won't be using this dealer again. Several years ago they were very good in terms of price. Beat all quotes for new Corvette tires and very reasonable oil changes and every fourth change was free. Never thought to ask price because of past experience.
Some places simply let the oil drain for 2-3 min and close it back up. This is not enough to fully drain the system. Oil changes need to be done fast to keep them profitable, on top of that the pay of the tech is tied to their service volume. Customer satisfaction is highly tied to the amount of time the customer has to wait.
NY09C6 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 12:19 PM
  #26  
Rocky48
Junior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: MA.
Posts: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Am changing oil on my 1998 C5 today. Am 70 and never trusted anyone to change my oil
on any car. have heard the horror stories.
Rocky48 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 12:25 PM
  #27  
Rocky48
Junior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Location: MA.
Posts: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mr Clean

If new clean oil was put in, it should be clean an hour later. Do my own, but my C5 1998 was in
for Trans leak ( No Happy ) at dealership. Oil change quote was $105.87 plus tax. Included new oil plug.
Plug seals are built into the plug.
Rocky48 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 PM
  #28  
Welker1
CF Senior Member
 
Welker1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Mesquite NV
Posts: 2,455
Thanked 387 Times in 353 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by farmington View Post
Oil should stay like new for quite a while IF car has had good oil change history.
Oil should look close to as it does freshly going in for at least the first few hundred miles, when mine is changed at 20% it is still fairly translucent. IMO, if it is black after just a few miles it is due to one of three things: Oil was not changed (which I doubt is the case at a dealership), the oil filter wasn't changed or the oil hadn't been changed previously for an extremely long period.
Welker1 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:29 PM
  #29  
Rich Farr
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rich Farr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: KITCHENER ONTARIO
Posts: 413
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I very much appreciate the comments. My conclusion is that the old oil was not fully drained and quickly mixed with the new oil. My Cadillac CTS and Corvette oil changes were the same afternoon. My son took the Cadillac in and drove about 10 miles before we had a chance to compare the oil from both cars by wiping clean dipsticks onto paper towels. The synthetic from the CTS barely showed any color at all. The Corvette was a medium brown. When I have checked the oil immediately after a change with the Corvette it always looked like the oil in the CTS.

I am 66 and used to do all my own auto repair. As I am still working and have a business to run, I no longer do my own auto maintenance. Until yesterday I never concerned myself about the cost of oil changes as the bills were always reasonable.

Last edited by Rich Farr; 11-09-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Rich Farr is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 02:04 PM
  #30  
mhatton222
CF Senior Member
 
mhatton222's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 435
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Default

I change my own one per year with Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. (costs me about $35.00) It comes out of the Mobil 1 bottle looking like honey. After a year it is black but after 1/2 mile??

Also depends on what oil your dealer is using. I watched an oil change video on Youtube for a Jeep Wrangler (my DD) and the guy used Royal Purple oil and it came out of the bottle black as night. I would not use Royal Purple myself after that video for sure.
mhatton222 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 04:03 PM
  #31  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 7,000
Thanked 682 Times in 560 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mhatton222 View Post
I change my own one per year with Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. (costs me about $35.00) It comes out of the Mobil 1 bottle looking like honey. After a year it is black but after 1/2 mile??

Also depends on what oil your dealer is using. I watched an oil change video on Youtube for a Jeep Wrangler (my DD) and the guy used Royal Purple oil and it came out of the bottle black as night. I would not use Royal Purple myself after that video for sure.
IIRC, Harley Davidson branded oil was also pretty black right out of the bottle. It did seem a bit odd, but I started using synthetics after they became popular for no reason other than they are superior lubricants.
Bruze is online now  
Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 PM
  #32  
dr_gallup
CF Senior Member
 
dr_gallup's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: SC
Posts: 1,328
Thanked 121 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rich Farr View Post
I very much appreciate the comments. My conclusion is that the old oil was not fully drained and quickly mixed with the new oil. My Cadillac CTS and Corvette oil changes were the same afternoon. My son took the Cadillac in and drove about 10 miles before we had a chance to compare the oil from both cars by wiping clean dipsticks onto paper towels. The synthetic from the CTS barely showed any color at all. The Corvette was a medium brown. When I have checked the oil immediately after a change with the Corvette it always looked like the oil in the CTS.

I am 66 and used to do all my own auto repair. As I am still working and have a business to run, I no longer do my own auto maintenance. Until yesterday I never concerned myself about the cost of oil changes as the bills were always reasonable.
Curious if you have a GS coupe with M6 trans? If so then you have a dry sump engine with 10.5 quarts of oil and a large air-to-oil cooler. If they did not get the oil cooler drained then that would be a fair amount of old oil still in the system. Also the large quantity of oil would account for some of the high cost.
dr_gallup is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 05:24 PM
  #33  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 7,000
Thanked 682 Times in 560 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
Curious if you have a GS coupe with M6 trans? If so then you have a dry sump engine with 10.5 quarts of oil and a large air-to-oil cooler. If they did not get the oil cooler drained then that would be a fair amount of old oil still in the system. Also the large quantity of oil would account for some of the high cost.
In post #7 he said it's a base.
Bruze is online now  
Old 11-09-2018, 06:22 PM
  #34  
windyC6
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,318
Thanked 344 Times in 295 Posts
Default

On our regular car/truck I call oil starting to get dirty when I start having to look a little harder to read the dip stick through it. When you can't read it anymore it's dirty enough to be changed but may have a few more miles on it. I change the vette oil every 2 years (bout 5-7-K total miles) whether it needs it or not and you can still read the stick pretty well........
windyC6 is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 12:28 AM
  #35  
Jstan2014
CF Senior Member
 
Jstan2014's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Round Rock Texas
Posts: 1,861
Thanked 184 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Jstan2014 is online now  
Old 11-11-2018, 06:06 AM
  #36  
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Don-Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2011
Location: Tonawanda New York
Posts: 11,568
Thanked 260 Times in 219 Posts
Default

If you had the oil changed and oil still looks dirty, your engine is probably filled with sludge from poor maintenance. IMO
Don-Vette is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: