C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy question about coupe top creak/pop

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
Is this some kind of "kit" that you purchased somewhere?
no, it's just some "0" rings and grease
The following users liked this post:
Rich Mickol (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 12:17 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
Mine started creaking again after getting front tires. I suppose jacking the car was the culprit.

I took the roof off and both posts on the right side (?) (front and back) were slightly loose. I tightened them both about 1/4 turn with 12mm long socket. I lubed the contact points with Vaseline (some folks refer to it as "dielectric" grease). The "O" rings were still on. I think the "E" clips were as well (best I could see). I checked it all since I had the top off (and it is possible the tire store took the top off when they put on the tires).

This fixed most of the creaking (90%) but still not perfect as it was before the tire change. I suspect that the other two posts might need to be torqued a little more.
If you think "Dielectric grease and vaseline are the same then you should buy that expensive GM tube of dielectric stuff and keep it in your bedroom..
Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
If you think "Dielectric grease and vaseline are the same then you should buy that expensive GM tube of dielectric stuff and keep it in your bedroom..
If you think Vaseline should be kept in the bedroom, you're crazy.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:31 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I kinda addressed that in the second paragraph.
Yep kinda.....Where did you come up that moisture has any affect on them.?

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 11-15-2018 at 12:33 AM. Reason: correct
Old 11-15-2018, 12:38 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owc6
WTF....I'm I crazy......I put it on my feet with white socks on in the winter...You need some medical training....
Old 11-15-2018, 12:39 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Old 11-15-2018, 12:45 AM
owc6
Team Owner

WTF....I'm I crazy......I put it on my feet with white socks on in the winter...You need some medical training....
Ok, let me rephrase, socks should be kept out of the bedroom.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:55 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Ok, let me rephrase, socks should be kept out of the bedroom.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yep kinda.....Where did you come up that moisture has any affect on them.?
Primarily from my manufacturing/engineering background dealing with material specifications. For a more in-depth explanation google "nylon water absorption" or go to https://www.unitika.co.jp/plastics/e...nylon6/04.html that has some graphs for visual aids.
Cherokee Nation (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Lots of different things to use have been tossed around. I went with the GM lube and 303 rubber seal protectant (w/built in foam applicator). Stopped the racket.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:14 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by saplumr
Lots of different things to use have been tossed around. I went with the GM lube and 303 rubber seal protectant (w/built in foam applicator). Stopped the racket.
Even axle grease will work....For how long???....BTW: where did you get the 303 rubber protectant?....Thanks
Old 11-16-2018, 04:07 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Even axle grease will work....For how long???....BTW: where did you get the 303 rubber protectant?....Thanks
Amazon
Cherokee Nation (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:28 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

The 07 coupe I owned creaked like crazy when I bought it with 20k miles on it. I used a little dielectric grease on the seals, front metal pin receptacles, rollers, latches, and tightened the rear down a little. I had the top on and off several times over the next 2 years and it never made a peep again.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:03 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BadAV
The 07 coupe I owned creaked like crazy when I bought it with 20k miles on it. I used a little dielectric grease on the seals, front metal pin receptacles, rollers, latches, and tightened the rear down a little. I had the top on and off several times over the next 2 years and it never made a peep again.
That is the best fix...The tech at the dealer adjusted all three latches and not even a small pop in years...Sure is nice to drive with that top not popping and cracking sh#t.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:18 AM
owc6
Team Owner

That is the best fix...The tech at the dealer adjusted all three latches and not even a small pop in years...Sure is nice to drive with that top not popping and cracking sh#t.
Do you take it off often?

The take away (that I'm seeing) from this is that those who regularly remove and replace the top have more of an issue than those who never take the top off, which is why I suspect the POs never took the top off. I certainly never saw them with the top off, and they never talked about that in all our discussions over the years.

One would think that top off (for them) and top down (for us) would have come up if they did.

Maybe, I should make a poll? Not quite sure how to word it so as to get the answer to whether removing the top regularly makes it more prone to creaks and pops than lubing it up (or not) and never removing it.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:40 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

The take away (that I'm seeing) from this is that those who regularly remove and replace the top have more of an issue than those who never take the top off, which is why I suspect the POs never took the top off. I certainly never saw them with the top off, and they never talked about that in all our discussions over the years.

One would think that top off (for them) and top down (for us) would have come up if they did.

Maybe, I should make a poll? Not quite sure how to word it so as to get the answer to whether removing the top regularly makes it more prone to creaks and pops than lubing it up (or not) and never removing it.
No, I have never driven it with the top off......But I agree with you about removing the top often could cause a problem.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

For a poll to be worthwhile, you'd need to ask too many questions because of the amount of variables. Cool weather vs warm vs hot, lubed vs dry, # of pops per drive, top removal %, humidity changes between pops, ect.
Just for reference, I took off the top about a half dozen times in the first year. It was only off once since then except to lube. Yesterday the temps were 78 to 57 while the humidity ranged from 15 to 61% and the top popped once. Compare that to temps of 110 to 88 and a humidity range of 10 to 18% 6 mos ago, where the top hadn't popped for several months before or after. We had 129 days of 100 degrees or more this year, so the humidity was low for a long time and you know I drive my car daily all year long. Without this type of detailed info, a poll won't provide a clear picture.

I don't bother doing a lube for 1 or 2 pops a month during the cool (below 75 degree) weather, but will if it pops 2-3 times weekly and I'm reaching that point for the first time in a few years.
My suggestion is that you follow one or more of the suggestions that were offered here and just enjoy driving the car. If the pops still occur and it bothers you, try a different suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To Lazy question about coupe top creak/pop

Old 11-17-2018, 04:40 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

for the purpose of lubing the top? yeah.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

I tried a coating of dielectric grease on my top this weekend and while I think it helped, I am still getting some creaking. How do you adjust the three latches?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
I tried a coating of dielectric grease on my top this weekend and while I think it helped, I am still getting some creaking. How do you adjust the three latches?
Take a deep 12mm socket and tighten up all the pins and fasteners on all 4 corners. Put a blanket under the top so that you don't scratch the paint when you put it on a bench. If you have an '08 or older, get the "e" clips and shim up the rollers. Don't forget the "o" rings on the pins and grease the attachments as well.

In my experience, tightening the pins and installing "e" clips are the two most important steps. But there's no harm to use the "o"rings and a little silicone spray, grease or Vaseline.

Last edited by LowRyter; 11-19-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Lazy question about coupe top creak/pop