C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cow Magnets

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:40 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
thank God! I thought it was a chuck cow comment.
NO NO.... if it were a CoW MAGNET, it would have flashing lights....neon....and playing dance music......
We don't make anything like that.... Thankfully.....

Old 11-14-2018, 03:25 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
NO NO.... if it were a CoW MAGNET, it would have flashing lights....neon....and playing dance music......
We don't make anything like that.... Thankfully.....

Last edited by Don-Vette; 11-14-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:20 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I don't know anyone that tore their engines down to check....Do you?
Thanks for making the point.....
Old 11-14-2018, 10:11 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Catch cans are not a bad idea. I have a higher mileage LS2 (145k+ miles) and I noticed a whistling sound coming from the engine over 4k RPM. As it turned out, the throttle body had lots of oil deposits on it that was causing the whistle. After cleaning the crude off of it, it was nice and quiet. This was done about a year ago as well. A catch can would certainly help prevent as much crap getting back into the throttle body.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:06 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

In the 80's when I was in my 20's I had a Vette that had a chic magnet and it worked great! I guess now they must have cow magnets, because now I attract a lot of cows.

Last edited by WhiteDevil828; 11-14-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Catch cans are not a bad idea. I have a higher mileage LS2 (145k+ miles) and I noticed a whistling sound coming from the engine over 4k RPM. As it turned out, the throttle body had lots of oil deposits on it that was causing the whistle. After cleaning the crude off of it, it was nice and quiet. This was done about a year ago as well. A catch can would certainly help prevent as much crap getting back into the throttle body.
This is the reason people install catch cans; to prevent this. Carbon and oil build up can cause problems, despite what people here say. Will a little bit of oil grenade your engine? Not likely. Will it contribute? Possibly.
This is a good read:
https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...at-is-blow-by/

Short answer: Yes.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:57 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by TucoTom
Google Cow Magnet for the best explanation.
My reference pertains to the magnets use in the 70's gas crisis.
The theory was to places two "Cow magnets" along the fuel line and miraculously obtain better gas mileage.
Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
And the people from where you're from actually believed this obvious nonsense? They must have been enjoying some of the other things that were prevalent in the 70's while waiting in line for gas.
There have been all manner of ridiculous gas saving "technologies" promoted in magazines and on the internet. Every time the price of gas ticks up the scammers come out of the woodwork. I was working at the Mack Trucks Engine Lab in the late 70's during the second oil embargo. There was a big trucking company owner who called up one of our VP's and insisted that we test this device called THE MOLECULATOR that was claimed to align all the fuel molecules flowing through it. Somehow this was supposed to improve combustion, increase power, reduce temperatures and improve fuel economy. If we didn't test it he threatened to never buy another Mack Truck. So one of our engineers was assigned to test it. THE MOLECULATOR was nothing more than a pretty piece of engine turned aluminum with a pipe thread inlet and outlet and a hole down the middle, cost about 50 cents to make and sold for $300. You were supposed to run the fuel supply line through it into the high pressure jerk pump. Once it was installed you had to hit it with a brass hammer to "align" it. Of course, it did exactly nothing but we ribbed the guy who tested it to no end. He didn't install it right, he didn't hit it hard enough, his hammer was the wrong type of brass. The irony of it all was after we told the trucking company that it was a hoax and he told the "manufacture" that he wasn't going to buy thousands of them, the next month the ads started claiming "As Tested by Mack Trucks"! Technically that was correct, we did test it, they didn't mention that it failed to do anything.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
It may be designed into the system, but that doesn't mean it is good for the motor to ingest oil; it is simply a solution to pass emissions and not vent the oil vapor into the atmosphere (because burning it in the combustion chamber and having it blow out of the exhaust is that much better, right?). As an automotive engineer once stated (I don't recall if it was here on these forums, or others), the only reason manufacturers do not install a catch can from the factory is because consumers are too lazy to check/empty them and just expect to put gas in their vehicles and drive off these days.
Now, will such a small amount of oil ingestion/burning be the death of your motor? No, probably not.
I was told by an engine builder that a catch-can does keep your piston tops and combustion chamber cleaner, and not having oil vapors mixed into the intake air does help with a more even burn, and thus more power, but the difference is negligible.
Just do your research and make an informed decision.
WOOOOAAA !! Are we suggesting that the mina-scule amount of oil that "MAY" be in your intake will build up on the top of the pistons ??.....Please help us Mr' Wizard...
Old 11-14-2018, 06:03 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by windyC6
WOOOOAAA !! Are we suggesting that the miniscule* amount of oil that "MAY" be in your intake will build up on the top of the pistons ??.....Please help us Mr' Wizard...
How insightful and helpful.

Overlooking the childish sarcasm, yes, burned oil residue will contribute to build up on pistons and intake valves. I prefer to have clean air mixed with my petrol when it ignites, not an air/oil-vapor mix. The research is there to prove catch can functionality and results of oil vapor ingestion, should you chose to do the work and look it up. Or carry on with know-it-all-ism, or do what you want with your car, your motor, and your blow-by.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Thanks for making the point.....
Old 11-15-2018, 12:58 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by R_W

Overlooking the childish sarcasm, yes, burned oil residue will contribute to build up on pistons and intake valves. I prefer to have clean air mixed with my petrol when it ignites, not an air/oil-vapor mix. The research is there to prove catch can functionality and results of oil vapor ingestion, should you chose to do the work and look it up. Or carry on with know-it-all-ism, or do what you want with your car, your motor, and your blow-by.
Right on R-W: In the 70s and 80s myself and my friends removed the EGR valve as we was told that it would run better....I don't remember if it did or not.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 AM
TucoTom
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder if I put a Cow Magnet in line with the Catch Can input..........
Old 11-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CATCH CANS: (sorry Fats )

From 9/05/2018 on this thread:

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
If there was any doubt that the catch can catches oil, then mine captured just over 3 oz in about 8000 miles of what I would consider to be normal driving. Sure, there were some extended runs at 80 or so, and some WOT passes on 2 lane roads, but I have to admit at being a bit surprised at the amount. The sump on the can was very easy to remove and replace.
Originally Posted by Bruze
Okay, so 3 fluid oz. is equivalent to 18 tsp. in 8,000 miles, or 1.8 tsp. per 800 miles, or .18 tsp. per 80 miles. Take a 1/4 tsp. (.25) measuring spoon from the kitchen, and imagine a bit less than that (.18) of oil going into your intake system to be burned, spread out over 80 miles.

This matters?

EDITED TO ADD: Using a standard dropper, about 98 drops fit into a teaspoon. Round it to 100, making it 18 drops per .18 tsp.

So 18 drops is being burned per 80 miles. That would be about .22 drops per mile, round that to 1/4 drop of oil per mile, divided into 8 cylinders, so if my math is right we end up with .03 drops per cylinder per mile.

======================================== =====================================

And by the way, BLACK WHEELS and STICK SHIFTS SUCK COW ***!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W

WOW....well hold on the skippy.....You consider my post childish sarcasm....thats too bad. What do you say to all the people that have 125-K - 150-K+ miles on their car and have absolutely no issues and have no catch can ? Seems to me like all that build up would have boosted the compression ratio up to about 17-18 to 1......LOL. You think you're providing some great service to your engine with a catch can, then so-be-it.....as you mention it's your motor....and your clean piston tops. For me...i'll scrap the catch can and never even think about having to worry about the build up on the tops of my pistons causing zero clearance thus bending all the valves........
Old 11-15-2018, 11:47 AM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, that's some interesting math there, Bruze!
Out of curiousity, I applied it to my truck (which seems to have more blow-by than my 'Vette, but then again, my 'Vette only sees track duty these days, and my truck is my daily driver).
I empty the can of about 3 - 6 oz every 5000 miles with each oil change.
So 3oz - 6oz = 18tsp - 36tsp. 1tsp = 4.92892ml, so that's 88.7206ml - 177.44112ml per 5000 miles (or 1800 - 3600 "drops").
That equates out to .0178ml - .0355ml per mile (or .36 - .72 drops per mile!!!), which averages .0267ml / .5 drops per mile!
Scary stuff. And that is on a stock '10 Silverado w/6.2L L9H (LS3)...

Last edited by R_W; 11-15-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Intake on the LS2 with 63k was oily no real puddles but oily, back of the valves had a little oil build up, and top of the port had a good amount of oily goop that I scraped off. I'm going to build a catch can and try it, why put up with excessive oil in the intake, reduced air flow from oil on valves, reduced port flow from it sticking to the walls of the port, and reduced octane from the oil vapor mix with premium fuel! This pic is the scraping from one port roof right where it meets the intake.
The following users liked this post:
R_W (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:56 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Check out SpinMonster in the archives. He did a lot of top end work on his C-6's and had opportunity to R&R the heads on a cars with and without catch cans in about the 20k mile range IIR correctly. There was a noticeable difference in the piston tops and the valves between canned and non-canned motors, the canned motors were much cleaner.

Since oil attracts dirt and as it dehydrates will from sludge, I want to minimize the build up inside my engine in addition to helping keep the pistons and valves cleaner. I like hpde-days, so the added stresses on the engine systems won't be quite as bad without the CC. Looking at Spin's pictures - if they are still available, is what sold me on the idea, not to mention the oil in can that I've drained over the miles, was not ingested into the motor.

Last edited by mikeCsix; 11-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
R_W (11-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Cow Magnets

Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
hrottle body and looked inside, there were pools of oil that had been blown into the intake to be "recycled" through the combustion chambers thanks to the PCV system. After sopping up the oil and adding catch cans to both the Silverado and Corvette, there has never been another instance of pooled oil in the intake manifold on top of the motor.
My experience is similar; when I replaced my intake manifold with a ported one, there was oil dripping all over. I installed a catch can and catch an ounce or two at every oil change.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Check out SpinMonster in the archives. He did a lot of top end work on his C-6's and had opportunity to R&R the heads on a cars with and without catch cans in about the 20k mile range IIR correctly. There was a noticeable difference in the piston tops and the valves between canned and non-canned motors, the canned motors were much cleaner.

Since oil attracts dirt and as it dehydrates will from sludge, I want to minimize the build up inside my engine in addition to helping keep the pistons and valves cleaner. I like hpde-days, so the added stresses on the engine systems won't be quite as bad without the CC. Looking at Spin's pictures - if they are still available, is what sold me on the idea, not to mention the oil in can that I've drained over the miles, was not ingested into the motor.
Thank you: That's why i installed one on my 08 about six months after i got it new.Some of the high end cars come from the factory with one installed ...Read about it in Motor Trend mag......Common sense!
Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 AM
Cormac87
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cow magnets are a strong magnet you get the cow to swallow. The idea is to prevent “hardware’ disease. If a farmer leaves endless pieces of barb wire, wire, etc. on the ground and never picks up a cow might accidentally ingest. Without a magnet it travels to and through the 4 sectioned stomach eventually causing an issue. As the stomach churns it can force the sharp object through the stomach lining and easily into the heart with the expected results, With a magnet, the magnet drops to the bottom of the first stomach and “grabs” any metal in the first section where it can be the least damage thus preserving the cow. It works, but a better alternative is to simple keep your place clean and pic up after yourself and those before you.
I assume the magnets would grab any loose metal in a an automobile much like magnetic oil drain plug.

Quick Reply: Cow Magnets