C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centennial Edition question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
Gee if there were only 13 base coupes built that came with chrome wheels then that surely sounds like I have 1 of 13. Haters continue to hate. Move along.
I really really doubt that your car is worth more than a regular vette. It may be unique or 1 of 1 but cars today don't hold value or go up like the days of old. I wish you luck in your research. Its always fun see what kind of stuff you find out about it.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by RichKiss
I really really doubt that your car is worth more than a regular vette. It may be unique or 1 of 1 but cars today don't hold value or go up like the days of old. I wish you luck in your research. Its always fun see what kind of stuff you find out about it.
Thats not... entirely true. There are most definitely modern cars going up in value or holding value. A lot of Japanese imports are worth what they were new in the 00s today, even with a crap ton of miles or questionable pasts. BMW has the 1M that goes for insane money, the Pontiac g8 GXP, LOTS of porsche models, the list goes on.

While I agree that being a 1 of x doesnt add any value anymore to most buyers, that's not to say that it wont in 15 or 20 years, or that being a CE doesnt add value. People like the blacked out look, and many will pay more for it. I wouldnt bet my 401k on the car, but I think it's silly to think it will (or has) see the same price decline as a random silver or red c6.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:11 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Didn’t buy it for its rarity. Bought it to drive and enjoy. And I do. Way too new to really worry about rarity but in the end there probably isn’t a twin anywhere on the planet, still a nice conversation point.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:27 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Thats not... entirely true. There are most definitely modern cars going up in value or holding value. A lot of Japanese imports are worth what they were new in the 00s today, even with a crap ton of miles or questionable pasts. BMW has the 1M that goes for insane money, the Pontiac g8 GXP, LOTS of porsche models, the list goes on.

While I agree that being a 1 of x doesnt add any value anymore to most buyers, that's not to say that it wont in 15 or 20 years, or that being a CE doesnt add value. People like the blacked out look, and many will pay more for it. I wouldnt bet my 401k on the car, but I think it's silly to think it will (or has) see the same price decline as a random silver or red c6.
I agree that it's not true in all cases. Problem with todays cars are they are mass produced and the younger generation can give 2 ***** less about cars today. They care about technology. Once something new comes out they are done with the old because its old tech. My kids think my car is junk because it doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth. They don't care about the history or looks anymore.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:51 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Almost all of the CE's I've priced over the last year or more were at least a couple thou more than their siblings. It's not the rarity, which is marginal, but the package which is appealing. No, they won't go up in value. The CE package was about $5K extra, and there is some retained value, which I don't think will completely go away.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Almost all of the CE's I've priced over the last year or more were at least a couple thou more than their siblings. It's not the rarity, which is marginal, but the package which is appealing. No, they won't go up in value. The CE package was about $5K extra, and there is some retained value, which I don't think will completely go away.
It's just like everything in the world....anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:25 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
It's just like everything in the world....anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Absolutely correct...
Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by RichKiss
I agree that it's not true in all cases. Problem with todays cars are they are mass produced and the younger generation can give 2 ***** less about cars today. They care about technology. Once something new comes out they are done with the old because its old tech. My kids think my car is junk because it doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth. They don't care about the history or looks anymore.
I would argue that it's not true in many cases. Myself and many car loving friends are in that generation that supposedly doesnt care about cars. Are there a large number of people in this generation with no appreciation for cars? Sire, but it's always been that way. You could convince me there are more this go around, but that falls on overall poor parenting and not teaching the love of cars.

Anyways, I do love how every time the CE gets brought up, the thread gets overrun with people saying how they're not worth anything more and suxk. If you dont own a CE, the shot do you care? Unless you just WANT one, and are hoping they come down in price to where the other c6 are to be able to afford or justify one?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:32 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

A lot of sensitive nannies on this thread.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I found in my shopping, the CE brought a slight premium over an otherwise equally equipped 2012....at least in the Grand Sport trim in which I was specifically shopping for. It certainly wasn't an earth-shattering disparity, but they seemed to command a couple of thousand more than their brethren with equal mileage.

At the end of the day, some people like them and are willing to pay a bit more for them, and some will find them to be no better (or sometimes worse) than another 2012 model in a different color. Worse yet...the damn thing (usually) has black wheels for goodness sake.

Whatever the case...CE or not, black wheels or not, stripes or not, stock or not, there are no wrong or right answers. Enjoy your car whichever direction you head with the stripes. There are no ugly C6 Corvettes.

C7's...............that's a different story.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Back to the original question -- stripes for sure!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:41 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

Yeah, put the stripes back on as that is what the car came with from the factory .....and you seem concerned about how this car was ordered from the factory.
Also, the Centennials look great with their stripe package.

I'm usually not a fan of stripes but really like how GM designed both the '12 Centennial's and the '13 60th's.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:20 AM
farmington
Safety Car

OK, to add to the stripe question. For owners of cars with clear roofs, does yours have the stripe on the roof? Saw a post somewhere and they stated that their car had a clear roof with stripes on it.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by farmington
OK, to add to the stripe question. For owners of cars with clear roofs, does yours have the stripe on the roof? Saw a post somewhere and they stated that their car had a clear roof with stripes on it.
My stripes are on the solid top, not the clear top, and my car was a dual roof option car.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Wondering if clear top only cars (like mine) came with stripes on the roof.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:52 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
My stripes are on the solid top, not the clear top, and my car was a dual roof option car.
Interestingly enough, I just bought the complete 4LT interior out of a wrecked 2012 GS CE and the glass roof had the stripes on it as well.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 12-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Mark333
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2012 GS has the clear top with the stripes.

Get notified of new replies

To Centennial Edition question

Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Glad I found this out before I ordered my stripes. Had thought the top didn’t have stripes. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 AM
ccryder
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Centennial car = stripes! I would definitely put them back on!
Nice car to own, and I always loved this C6 Centennial optioned MY, regardless of the model level.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:23 AM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I really want one! I am not a fan of black wheels, but on the CE, with the red stripe on the rim, I think they look really, really bad ***! I like the subtle difference in the stripes! I was also not aware that some came with a two top option.

Quick Reply: Centennial Edition question