C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New stereo/head unit recommendations and questions

Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 AM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New stereo/head unit recommendations and questions

My car is completely stock. I'm considering a few upgrades and first on the list is a new head unit, so I thought I would get some suggestions from those of you who have already done so. Here are the things I would like it to have:
  • Bluetooth connectivity to the phone
  • Blu-Ray player
  • < $1000
  • Apple CarPlay
Things that would be nice to have, but not required:
  • USB port
What should I expect to pay to have a head unit installed?

Thanks for any tips and suggestions
Old 11-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Go to Crutchfield.com. Load in your car and it will give you options where you can compare receivers. That will help you narrow it down with all the choices.
The following users liked this post:
BlackMamba89 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 12:01 PM
jna10
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crutchfields may also be able to provide a list of qualified installers in your area. For best resolution try to select a unit with a capactive touchscreen.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:27 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Crutchfield has one on sale now for 800 + 79 in install gear. Top of the line Kenwood.

I simply can't help my curiosity, what on earth is the blu-ray player for?
marinablu67 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM
SnakeQ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

The Crutchfield tool that matches cars to aftermarket head units is not always accurate. I recently replaced the stock nav head unit with a Pioneer 8400. The tool said it would not fit. It fit nicely and the unit is especially nice because of the two camera ports.
Tim Harleson (06-01-2019)
Old 11-26-2018, 03:31 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Any double din head unit should fit. If it has a CD slot, most likely it is designed to play DVD also. Not sure what models, if any, offer blu-ray. Most stick with Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer when shopping for a head unit. I have a Pioneer, but I would recommend looking at Kenwood. In your price range you should be able to get a higher end head unit. I would look for something with a capacitive touch screen and stay away from the cheaper resistive touch screens. Capacitive screen is similar to what is on your cell phones. USB, bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, DVD, etc. are all pretty common features you will find in almost all head units except for the cheap entry level units.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I just got a quote last week from a local stereo shop, Pioneer AVH-2400 with Apple Car Play, the Bose interface module (whatever that is) and a backup camera was gonna be $950. More than my “Christmas present to myself” budget allowed this year so gonna put it off until spring....
Old 11-26-2018, 08:51 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Boostedsvt
I just got a quote last week from a local stereo shop, Pioneer AVH-2400 with Apple Car Play, the Bose interface module (whatever that is) and a backup camera was gonna be $950. More than my “Christmas present to myself” budget allowed this year so gonna put it off until spring....
Wow, that is way too much money for that head unit. You could probably do it all yourself for about half that price. It's not that difficult to do. Or try BestBuy when they are running their free install promo. You still have to pay for the install gear but should be a lot less than the price you were quoted.

I ran through some of the same issues with my local shop when I was being too lazy to do my speakers and amp myself. I got so fed up with their B.S. pricing and the lack of confidence they were giving me in their knowledge and ability to do it right, that I ended up doing all of it myself after all.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:55 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Do-it-yourself thread if anyone is interested. Done by former forum audio guy.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
The following 2 users liked this post by TorchRedFred:
BlackMamba89 (11-27-2018), Tim Harleson (06-01-2019)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

This is the thread I used years ago. Still good info that should answer most removal questions.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:38 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

kenwood ddx 9904 refurbished for $350 found on ebay
Old 11-27-2018, 03:13 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by boonie c4
Or currently $399 brand new through a seller on Amazon. Either way, a steal for that head unit IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9904S-Receiver-CarPlay/dp/B073HD1KJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543349558&sr=8-1&keywords=kenwood+9904s https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9904S-Receiver-CarPlay/dp/B073HD1KJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543349558&sr=8-1&keywords=kenwood+9904s
Old 11-27-2018, 05:32 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Or currently $399 brand new through a seller on Amazon. Either way, a steal for that head unit IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Excel...=kenwood+9904s
Excellent deal.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 PM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Go to Crutchfield.com. Load in your car and it will give you options where you can compare receivers. That will help you narrow it down with all the choices.
Thanks! Appreciate it!

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I simply can't help my curiosity, what on earth is the blu-ray player for?
I plan on keeping the C6 for a long time (until it breaks and there are no more parts available for me to fix it), so I figured if I could get a BD player over DVD, then might as well. But yeah, on a 7" screen, from 2-3' away, your eyes are unlikely to be able to tell the difference between DVD and BD quality.

Do-it-yourself thread if anyone is interested. Done by former forum audio guy.

Thanks! Awesome info. I'm worried it's going to be quite a bit more challenging than that thread makes it seem, but I'm an electrical engineer, so I kind of want to try my hand at doing the install myself for fun/pride, lol. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew and end up having to tow the car to get fixed and then pay the install fee anyways

Originally Posted by boonie c4
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Excel...=kenwood+9904s
Thanks a lot, I ended up going with this. I really don't need anything super fancy- this is nice while not breaking the bank and seems like it will do everything that I need it to.

I bought the kit that Crutchfield recommends based on my inputs, so hopefully it has everything that I need...
Old 11-27-2018, 11:39 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlackMamba89
Thanks! Awesome info. I'm worried it's going to be quite a bit more challenging than that thread makes it seem, but I'm an electrical engineer, so I kind of want to try my hand at doing the install myself for fun/pride, lol. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew and end up having to tow the car to get fixed and then pay the install fee anyways
There is zero chance of that. Most of the wiring is done between the head unit and the interface before you even touch your car. Once you get that done, it's mostly just plug and play once you start the install.

Here is a video going over the wires on your Kenwood and what they are for. These guys have a lot of helpful videos.

Also, just for reference sake, here is all the things I purchased for my install. (includes the install thread again)

Copied and pasted from one of my previous posts:

Here is all the stuff I bought for my install. The Pac Audio harness/interface works with and/or without Bose systems. The installation gear is the same regardless of what brand head unit you buy. In my case I went with the Pioneer 8200nex. I got the head unit and all the installation gear from Amazon.

1- Pac Audio RP5-GM11 wiring harness with steering wheel controls (RP4-GM11 is also compatible and an alternative to the RP5)
2- Metra 95-3304 double din face plate
3- Sirius XM SXV300v1 tuner (optional if you want Sirius XM) and Sirius XM 10ft antenna ext. cable (if u want to re-use factory antenna)
4- Pyle PCNM38FRV back up camera (was only $17 but works great)
5- A pack of crimp style cap connectors 22/18 gauge and a crimp plier (since I didn't have one)

You can re-use the existing XM antenna with the cable mentioned but I just want to mention that my SiriusXm reception still stinks.

Do it yourself thread with pictures done by former forum audio vendor:

Update: I have since cancelled my SiriusXm subscription because of reception problems in my Vette. I now use the SiriusXm app through my phone and Apple CarPlay. Works much better. My suggestion is skip the SiriusXm tuner and antenna and go with the app through your phone instead if you prefer to have SiriusXm. (*** Data charges may apply if you don't have an unlimited phone plan)
BlackMamba89 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 12:25 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Where did you mount your XM antenna? I mounted mine in the place where the front center speaker use to be (under the grill). Works great.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 11-28-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:05 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Where did you mount your XM antenna? I mounted mine in the place where the front center speaker use to be (under the grill). Works great.
First I tried re-using the factory antenna. Next I tried running the antenna to the rear bumper behind the taillights based on recommendation in another thread. Both produced similar subpar results for me.

Get notified of new replies

To New stereo/head unit recommendations and questions

Old 11-28-2018, 04:45 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I was in your shoes, holding on to my Vette for as long as possible, so that meant upgrading my head unit: with all the new technologies (particularly Apple CarPlay and Android Auto), I just could not take it anymore and had to upgrade. I researched Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine at everyone's recommendation but wanted something that looked and felt as stock as possible... very few of those satisfied that criteria for me.

I just installed the Sony XAV-AX200. Excellent unit so far. Got it because:
- Matte finish looks much more stock than glossy black
- Apple CarPlay, Android Auto compatible
- Extremely easy to use interface
- Has an actual volume **** instead of tiny buttons
- Steering wheel controls still work
- Plays CDs and DVDs (sorry, no Bluerays)
- Sirius/XM ready
- Has THREE camera inputs. I set up front and rear.
- Sound quality is a good deal better than stock units, even with the Bose speakers
- Didn't break bank at $499... other units cost hundreds more

I also agree with what a lot of folks are saying: buy through Crutchfield. They say it won't fit your Corvette but not to worry - it does. Make sure you buy their "Ready Harness" for easier installation, and the PAC RP5-GM11 adapter. Best of luck.

EDIT: Ah, I see you got a Kenwood. Awesome! Enjoy.

Last edited by vara411; 11-28-2018 at 05:07 PM.
BlackMamba89 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:39 AM
endus
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 98 Posts

If you buy it from Crutchfield you can pay them 20 bucks to mate the radio harness to the factory harness adapter for you. I'm pretty good with 12 volt electrical but I was feeling lazy when I ordered my HU and went for it. Install could not have been easier. The disassembly of the dash is a real pain in the ***, but not hard.

If you're an electrical engineer you can 100% do it.

Last edited by endus; 11-29-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 AM
kperez
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I recommend the Kenwood DDX 9703s, it meets all your requirements. I also recommend buying it at best buy, while it may not be cheaper they give yyou free professional installation when you buy the head unit through them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New stereo/head unit recommendations and questions