C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tire came off

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:51 PM
jackjohnson_218
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

I hope they will replace the rocket panel too and not just try to bondo it back to shape. Front door edge may need work too.

Last edited by jackjohnson_218; 12-02-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 350 Posts

I would ask them to void the sale or buy it back for your total price, including taxes, etc.
Mention how bad the publicity of a law suit would be for them.
Talk to a personal injury lawyer--IF NEEDED--to get their attention.
Look at it this way. If another driver, because of negligence (drunk, distracted on the phone, etc.) had caused this damage, their insurance company would likely pay for all repairs, rental car, etc. and kick in $5K-$10 for personal injury, suffering, and general hardship.
Give them the choice on which route they want to go.

If you do have them fix the car, go over it with a fine toothed comb and take it to another reputable shop to check it.

Last edited by Sayfoo; 12-02-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:42 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Or, the mcgard lug failed, the other wheel lugs broke from the force, and the wheel flew off. Nothing negligent about that for the dealership.

Like I said, hard to prove anything, and it's better off to approach it in a friendly way.
Dude, you either own the dealership in question, are the mechanic who screwed up, or are just an...arguing for the sake of arguing.

People like you are the reason dealerships get away with murder. They certainly are freaking liable and they have liability insurance to cover for crap like this.

In my youth I worked at Sears Automotive as a sales rep. We replaced a set of tires on a relatively brand new loaded Suburban (maybe 2 years old at the time) and the tire installer decided to take the thing for a joy ride. He didn't make it but 50 feet from the service bay and all 4 rims/tires came off. He hadn't put any of the lug nuts on. The guy was always a moron...but that's what happens when you only want to pay minimum wage.

Anyway...the tech was fired on the spot and Sears paid for all repairs performed by the repair shop of the customer's choice. She had it towed to the Chevy dealership down the street.

The OP has a case for having the dealer pay for all the repairs.

Please, if you have no clue what you're talking about...then keep it to yourself.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:01 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mrBob2005
The dealer is fixing the car with new fender and new rotors and front wheel. I only put one lock nut on each wheel. The others 3 wheels are fine, someone took a break forget to tighten the nuts I believe. I am driving a new Cadillac CTS as a loner. ha Dealer admits fault an their insurance is taking the hit. I will keep everyone up to date when things get finished. I want to see the Vette on a lift before I accept the work and have the service manger drive it with me in the car. Then I will drive it while he is in it too. So far they are being nice, we will see.
I'm also a little skeptical that they would make a claim for something this small. However, if they do make a claim and the VIN is reported on that claim, then at some future time it could show up on a CarFax report (or similar history report) and you could see some diminished resale value. That's something you should be aware of, and some time before any statute of limitation runs out for a diminished value claim, you should run reports from CarFax and their competitors and make sure this doesn't come up on the report.

BTW, one clue that they aren't making an insurance claim is that you're driving around in their inventory as a loaner. If they were making an insurance claim, you'd be in a rental car, not new dealer inventory. One negotiating point you have is that they're taking a hit for every mile you drive in their "new" car and every day you have it.
Originally Posted by 919cw313
Why would they ever do that? Ridiculous.

If he's over the car already, it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to have them take the car back and refund 100% of his money.
That's what I'd aim for.

If they have a similar '07 or '08 on the lot and want an even swap, I'd consider that as well. Before accepting it, take it to another reputable dealership or reputable shop for a "pre purchase inspection," and make sure it doesn't have issues.

I also wouldn't let the folks who couldn't tighten lug nuts replace and repair all those parts and "fix" it again. God knows what you'll get back, or what will fall apart after the next repair.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 12-02-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:03 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Definitely get a lawyer. The dealer may step up and fix it but the real answer is have them void the sale, return your money and move on to another car. But they might not do that so the lawyer makes most sense.

As for the car being SOLD as-is, sure I can see that might absolve them, they'd easily refuse to step up and you'd have no recourse. But because the work was done AFTER the sale, the as-is clause means nothing and the dealer is clearly liable for this.

Also, you can't blame a 3rd party locking lug nut because the 4 other OEM lug nuts are easily enough to hold the wheel on if the locking lug nut or 5th OEM lug nut is not even there. Plenty of cars have only 4 lugs. One lug nut does not make a failure. They failed to properly tighten them so that should be end of it. Question is if they'll take the car back or fix it.

Guess we all now have to take a torque wrench with us every time a service guy takes off a wheel now.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:11 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kevinkar
Guess we all now have to take a torque wrench with us every time a service guy takes off a wheel now.

Good luck.
Doesn't everybody already do that?

I do
Old 12-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X

I do
What's a service guy?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Bowtie Jim
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
If it's not their lugs, they're not totally liable. They're not liable if they put the lugs on right, but the lugs failed through no fault of their own. It would be tough to prove liability.
What color is the sky in your world?
This a complete no brainier. The wheel falls off after the dealer had the wheel off the car and then put it back on the car . How can this be anyone's fault but the doofus that allegedly tightened the lug nuts? If they were tighted properly we wouldn't be talking about this.
I would tell the dealer to refund the sale of the car or lawyer up.

Last edited by Bowtie Jim; 12-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Zealot
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

I think I'd prefer a voided sale myself, but repairing it isn't totally unreasonable. Be very sure that you are satisfied with the repair though and don't be afraid to be picky.

Z
Old 12-02-2018, 07:57 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X

I do
I will NOW.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
It took just 13 posts for the "get a lawyer" mentality to come up....How about 1st seeing if the dealership will step up & repair the car first? Give them a chance to do the right thing
Exactly! Sue happy screwed up world we live in. Get a lawyer involved and then see how screwed up a repair can get. Laywer is an option ONLY if the dealer tells you to pound sand and will not accept responsibility.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 12-02-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I agree with the majority...play nice with the dealer and ask for a full refund.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:36 AM
mrBob2005
Heel & Toe

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE: Dealership insurance company called me Friday morning. They are paying to get the Vette fixed to my liking and paying me compensation too. Dealer took blame for not Tighten the lug nuts. More to come in two weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrBob2005:
Jstan2014 (12-12-2018), Vet Interested (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:05 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

UPDATE: Dealership insurance company called me Friday morning. They are paying to get the Vette fixed to my liking and paying me compensation too. Dealer took blame for not Tighten the lug nuts. More to come in two weeks.
Awesome! That's what should have happened.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:13 AM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Since the insurance company is footing the bill for repairs, this will possibly show up on carfax as an accident, or "damage". If you are getting cash compensation, first thing to ask is the various factors they used in coming up with a figure. Don't sound angry or argumentative...just ask they question. Among the factors mentioned should be "diminished value" you will suffer when you sell it. An '05 is not going to lose as much value due to damage as, say, a '13, but there will still be loss. I would not be greedy, but would certainly ask that DV be added to the figure if it is not already mentioned.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

I agree with the others about the car fax. I would walk from most deals with a blemish on a car fax. I would want out of the car also. Really sucks!!
Old 12-09-2018, 01:57 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The mentality here hasn't changed in years. Could someone please tell me what is in this for an attorney? Nobody injured, so no litigation for a % of the injury limits of liability. GM has attorneys on staff - probably dozens or more of them. To them just another file to work. To whomever hires one to fight GM's attorneys, keep your checkbook handy, then your credit card, And, no, they are under no obligation to buy the car back. Likely bought at auction with a sketchy paper trail.

STOOOPID..... work with the dealer to your satisfaction.
The following users liked this post:
JJ1956 (12-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Front tire came off

Old 12-09-2018, 02:21 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Who said anything about suing GM?

This is an issue between a dealership/service department and a buyer of a 12 to 14 year old used car. It has exactly nothing to do with GM.

However, @mrBob2005, you should be aware at least that when this is handled through insurance, it probably (almost certainly) will show on a CarFax or similar vehicle history report. Also, it will look much worse on the those reports than it actually was. Generally, how "severe" the accident/damage was is expressed as a percentage of the book value of the car. When you're dealing with a 2005 model, it doesn't take much go get over 50% or more of the value of the car, qualifying as a "major/extreme accident" or "major/extreme damage" in the vehicle history. If you plan to keep it forever, or sell it by the pound when you're done with it, this might not matter to you. If you plan to sell it or trade it in a few years and move on to a newer model, this could be an issue.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pure zen
Quote by Mr Bob: " Do you thing the front end is messed up??"

I do,,,where are you located? Wouldn't want that dealer service dept. working on my car. That tire went for a long ride... You bought the car last week,,,I'd ask the dealer to
buy the car back at your purchase price, and go shopping for another Vette to buy. JMO
Correct because that is never going to drive straight again.

Have them buy buy it back at full price and you look for another vette
Old 12-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Those that were trigger happy and said get a lawyer now realize they just wasted $$$$.....

Quick Reply: Front tire came off