C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopping door panel creak without removing panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Default Stopping door panel creak without removing panel

The upper section of the passenger side door panel on my '06 really creaks when going over bumps or as the car body flexes. A trim shop tried to put some foam tape in the dividing line between the top section and lower section. It helped for about a day. Has anyone had success in stopping door panel creak without removing the panel? I emailed the service director where I usually take my Corvette for service, and he seemed to be reluctant to taking the panel of a 12-year-old car for fear of creating additional problems.

I'm pretty much a klutz when it comes to doing this type of work.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:37 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Since you don't really know what is causing the "Creek" you are shooting in the dark as to how to fix it. You can take it to another automotive upholstery shop and ask them to look at it and estimate the cost of the fix. They will most likely need to remove the panel and either replace the attachment pins and/or shim or pad the area where the "Creek" is originating. May cost a little bit but they can most likely find and correct the issue. for very little money.

Last edited by cmonkey713; 12-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sunnyvale Dave (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Maybe you can find a forum member close by who can remove it or help you remove it to check it out.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 AM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
The upper section of the passenger side door panel on my '06 really creaks when going over bumps or as the car body flexes. A trim shop tried to put some foam tape in the dividing line between the top section and lower section. It helped for about a day. Has anyone had success in stopping door panel creak without removing the panel? I emailed the service director where I usually take my Corvette for service, and he seemed to be reluctant to taking the panel of a 12-year-old car for fear of creating additional problems.

I'm pretty much a klutz when it comes to doing this type of work.

Thanks.
I've fixed similar squeaks by squirting a little WD40 in behind the panels where they contact the door frame. No down side, - give it a try .... and report back. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Door creaks can be caused by the plastic fasteners slipping in and out of the retainers that hold the panel to the door. The plastic retainers lose their ability to hold the fasteners and will tend to creak when loose. I had this issue with a creak just above the passenger door arm rest. Every time someone would apply a little pressure on the arm rest the door would creak. So, I removed the paned and tested each retainer and found the one nearest to the arm rest slipping. I replaced it and all is silent. Another cause can be the metal clips that hold the top of the door panel onto the door. A little dielectric grease between the clips can silent them. There is also a wire harness that snaps in the middle of the door. When removing the panel it will unsnap, just make sure you snap it back in because if you don't you will have another rattle. Spraying lubricant aimlessly is not a solution, removing the panel carefully and finding the issue is.

Removing the door panel is easy, look at some online videos. However, before you start buy a few plastic fasteners and retainers before doing so. This way you can replace what is needed and if one breaks because you tried forcing the door panel in you have them. Take you time reinstalling and use a flashlight between the door and panel making sure the fasteners line up properly with the retainers and everything will just snap in nicely.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-01-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:00 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like the problem I have. I pulled my door panels to access the mirrors and now I have occasional popping sounds in the door. I believe the fasteners used to hold the panel to the door are the culprit; they are good for only so many removals/reinstalls. If I had planned ahead would have ordered new fasteners first.
Sunnyvale Dave (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

I agree with Mike's LS3 above.
Remove the panel.
Find the true source noting those top metal clips are notorious for causing rattles.
Have spare plastic retainers on hand

Yet, if OP is sure it is the seam on the door panel where the top portion joins the lower side portion,
without removing the panel, I have about some co-member insert welting between the panels.
Maybe that will work?

WD40, silicon spray, grease may work yet I would be hesitant to possibly stain my panels with these lubes.

Remove the panel is my vote.
Good luck.
Sunnyvale Dave (12-09-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:01 AM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

"WD40, silicon spray, grease may work yet I would be hesitant to possibly stain my panels with these lubes."

WD40 won't stain. I've had success trying it on squeaky door panels. It's worth a 'shot'. Ha! Just don't get it on the inner glass felt as it will smear your glass as the window moves up & down.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

The trim guy said he believed the problem was caused by the window in my vert rattling against the weatherstripping. He cleaned and lubricated the weatherstripping. So far so good. I have not been conscientious about lubricating the weatherstripping because I felt using the dielectric grease from a tube was a PITA. It looks like there are products out now that come in an applicator bottle that makes things a lot easier.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:21 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
The trim guy said he believed the problem was caused by the window in my vert rattling against the weatherstripping. He cleaned and lubricated the weatherstripping. So far so good. I have not been conscientious about lubricating the weatherstripping because I felt using the dielectric grease from a tube was a PITA. It looks like there are products out now that come in an applicator bottle that makes things a lot easier.
A little Amour All or 303 will stop window seal squeaks.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 PM
MannyS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I replaced all of the plastic retainers today on the driver’s door and 90% of the creaks went away. I had previously taken off the door panel several times to deal with a speaker issue and I inherited door panel squeaks near the back side of the door panel.

I had not considered replacing the pins until I read this post. A multitude of sprays and elixirs did nothing to minimize the creaks.

Last edited by MannyS; 12-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Sunnyvale Dave (12-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Stopping door panel creak without removing panel

Quick Reply: Stopping door panel creak without removing panel