C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof ideas... Please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Roof ideas... Please chime in

I want to try something different for my roof. I’m in the beginning stages of deciding what to try. I’ve got a carbon fiber wing from C7 Carbon and am going to continue that theme as the budget allows. The Carbon fiber roofs are pretty pricey at $2k plus, the tinted glass roof is another idea and the last idea would be a roof-wrap. I worry that the wrap if done in carbon fiber will look cheap, not really matching the wing and other items I end up doing. I don’t want to do the halo right now, I want to try just something with the roof first. Any ideas or suggestions? Pics would be great!!
Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,430 Likes on 2,795 Posts

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by FAUEE
If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Agreed. Anyone here have a carbon fiber roof? How’s it hold up? What type of extra care would it need?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 AM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I just had mine wrapped in carbon fiber wrap. It looks just fine. When I get tired of it, I put the glass top back on.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:36 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Since you asked, I think you need to trade your Vette in on a Civic. Big-*** wing and carbon fiber roof just scream rice. The price of C6's is getting to low now.
The following users liked this post:
449er (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Since you asked, I think you need to trade your Vette in on a Civic. Big-*** wing and carbon fiber roof just scream rice. The price of C6's is getting to low now.
Man, that sure sucks that the ZR1 that has a carbon fiber roof and bigger wing is rice. It is pretty much a Civic after all.
jbc1995fb (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by doomi
Man, that sure sucks that the ZR1 that has a carbon fiber roof and bigger wing is rice. It is pretty much a Civic after all.
Who in their right mind would possibly want one of those? Pure rice..... LOL
Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Is the C7 ZR1 a C6? NOPE.

When people put big wings on their cars, it is usually aftermarket, or comes from some different make or model car. Neither needs to be put on a C6 corvette in my opinion, which was asked by the way.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:12 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

When people put big wings on their cars, it is usually aftermarket, or comes from some different make or model car. Neither needs to be put on a C6 corvette in my opinion, which was asked by the way.
You do know the C6 ZR1 has the same features, right? Plus those pesky ricer carbon fiber side skirts and front splitter.

I'm not mad, just pointing out the irony in your comment.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:58 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

The wing is a product from a company called C7 Carbon, it’s not a C7 wing. It was designed for my C6. I was asking for opinions on the roof and I definitely respect your opinion as it’s yours and you’re entitled to it. The wing I love and wouldn’t change it for anything. So far it’s the coolest thing I’ve done.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:15 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Carbon fiber I have found to be a very expensive option. This is why I opted for the gloss black instead. Since you went down that road, I would highly recommend either a tinted roof or a real CF roof. You are right, the CF fiber wrap does not look real IMHO.

I did the rear ZR1 wing, the front ZR1 splitter, and the side skirts in black. I am doing the Roof and halo next in gloss black too. The wheels are C7 Z06 repros and they compliment the yellow well IMO.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:31 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettezman
Carbon fiber I have found to be a very expensive option. This is why I opted for the gloss black instead. Since you went down that road, I would highly recommend either a tinted roof or a real CF roof. You are right, the CF fiber wrap does not look real IMHO.

I did the rear ZR1 wing, the front ZR1 splitter, and the side skirts in black. I am doing the Roof and halo next in gloss black too. The wheels are C7 Z06 repros and they compliment the yellow well IMO.
Wow! That looks great! Love the widebody rear. I think I want that too😍
Old 12-08-2018, 08:19 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Boostedsvt

Wow! That looks great! Love the widebody rear. I think I want that too😍
make the decision on the wide body rear before you buy the side skirts. They don't make a difference in front but they do in the rear. I bought the side skirts that fit a Z06 since my rears were widened. My fronts are not.
I bought the wide body rear kit for $1000 out of a wrecked car on ebay.
paint and install was about 1500.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettezman
make the decision on the wide body rear before you buy the side skirts. They don't make a difference in front but they do in the rear. I bought the side skirts that fit a Z06 since my rears were widened. My fronts are not.
I bought the wide body rear kit for $1000 out of a wrecked car on ebay.
paint and install was about 1500.
Yeah, I noticed the difference on C7 Carbon’s website for the side skirts. I think the side skirts would only look good with the wide body. Yours looks great!
corvettezman (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,773 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Yes what he has is a rear spoiler not a “wing” & it looks great on the car (I have the same one painted body-color). If you’re going to do the top also do the halo or it won’t look right. The wrap will look good if you get material with the same weave pattern as your spoiler & it’s put on correctly. IMO there’s zero point in paying $2k for a carbon fiber roof, but it’s your $.

i would recommend picking up a glass top ($500) and wrapping the halo black. Then if you decide to do splitter/skirts do them in carbon fiber to match your rear spoiler. The carbon fiber should be accents not major components.

Last edited by JABCAT; 12-08-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:10 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

You do know the C6 ZR1 has the same features, right? Plus those pesky ricer carbon fiber side skirts and front splitter.

I'm not mad, just pointing out the irony in your comment.
I guess I never saw the big wing on the C6 ZR1, sorry. Only the smaller ZR1 wing some people add to their C6. That one I even like.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

You should be able to find a place that can wrap your top with a vinyl that will closely match your spoiler and other CF parts you plan on adding; this would be your cheapest option with the added benefit that you could remove it if you don't like it or get tired of it. Another option you could check into is hydro dipping; don't know your location or if it's available in your area. Hydro dipping would match your other CF parts and the cost should be cheaper then buying a CF top. Of course, the best option would be to buy a CF top.

Get notified of new replies

To Roof ideas... Please chime in

Quick Reply: Roof ideas... Please chime in