C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:26 PM
jwilhelm13
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Traction Control Issues?

Hello Everybody,

I just purchased a 2006 standard, with auto and wide body conversion last week. I've driven it only a handful of times, but each time it seems like the rear tires break loose far too easy. I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal, perhaps it is. The car is mostly stock, other than a CAI and a tune. I live in SoCal, but it's been pretty cold, so perhaps that's part of it, along with the 325's in the back. I do have a manual C5 and it take much more effort to break the tires loose, so I'm just wondering if there's something going on, or am I just not used to this car. BTW, the traction control is enabled at all time right now.

Is there a do it yourself way to test the traction control system to insure it's functioning properly?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
1968swbbigblock (12-07-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

easy way to test is to just try it both ways with traction control turned in the on or off position.you will then easily see the difference
Old 12-05-2018, 12:29 PM
sonik_fury
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

My guess is cold tires. Summer performance tires are crap below about 40 degrees.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
jwilhelm13
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I can't believe I didn't think to try the traction on/traction off test. I not too worried because I thought the car would hook up fine on a nice warm road, but right now the car is a little scary to drive. I'm fairly new to owning a corvette so wasn't sure if there's a common problem with the traction control.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:50 PM
ki-speed
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

How old are the tires? What's that date code on the tire?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:52 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Also depends on age of tires, tread wear, and brand of tires. My 10yr old tires (soon to be replaced) have plenty of tread left, but spin for days bc they're old.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:06 PM
jwilhelm13
Intermediate

You guys may be on to something, treadwise the tires are fine, but I'll definitely check the date this evening.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:26 PM
jwilhelm13
Intermediate

Tires show 4411, so that we're talking about seven year old tires!! So does this mean I get to do all the burnouts I want this spring before replacing them for the summer ......or do I need to get these off ASAP?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

You'll probably be fine if you don't have weather cracking, but best to move on. Make a smokeshow and then replace 'em. That's what I'm about to do.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:45 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I've wondered about the TC on the C6 myself. My car has the original tires on, it's a 13. You can pretty much ignite them at will and I have never seen the car react to Tire spin. No I haven't tried to smoke the tires but they surely break loose enough that my C5 would have cut the ignition and the engine would fall flat. I don't know what percentage of slip it takes to engage the TC but it's definitely set higher or differently than the C5.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:14 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilhelm13
Hello Everybody,

I just purchased a 2006 standard, with auto and wide body conversion last week. I've driven it only a handful of times, but each time it seems like the rear tires break loose far too easy. I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal, perhaps it is. The car is mostly stock, other than a CAI and a tune. I live in SoCal, but it's been pretty cold, so perhaps that's part of it, along with the 325's in the back. I do have a manual C5 and it take much more effort to break the tires loose, so I'm just wondering if there's something going on, or am I just not used to this car. BTW, the traction control is enabled at all time right now.

Is there a do it yourself way to test the traction control system to insure it's functioning properly?

Thanks
Read your manual 4-6.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I've wondered about the TC on the C6 myself. My car has the original tires on, it's a 13. You can pretty much ignite them at will and I have never seen the car react to Tire spin. No I haven't tried to smoke the tires but they surely break loose enough that my C5 would have cut the ignition and the engine would fall flat. I don't know what percentage of slip it takes to engage the TC but it's definitely set higher or differently than the C5.
In a straight line I can light them off and both spin, no throttle cut, etc. Very different than the active handling engaging. That chops the throttle.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 905 Posts

What do you know about the "tune"? A tuner can disable TC in "torque Management" in the tune. I know BC I've done it.

That said, there is always a slight break away before TC kicks in, but a lot of new drivers are taken off guard and quit before that happens. Do the test suggested above and if there is no difference with TC on or off, then suspect the tune next.

This is not the same ECM as yours, but a part picture of what's available to the tuner. These are the factory settings, but I can disable a couple of these fields and there will be no TC, no lights, no nothing.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 12-06-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:45 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
What do you know about the "tune"? A tuner can disable TC in "torque Management" in the tune. I know BC I've done it.

That said, there is always a slight break away before TC kicks in, but a lot of new drivers are taken off guard and quit before that happens. Do the test suggested above and if there is no difference with TC on or off, then suspect the tune next.

This is not the same ECM as yours, but a part picture of what's available to the tuner. These are the factory settings, but I can disable a couple of these fields and there will be no TC, no lights, no nothing.

I know mine hasn't been re-tuned. And every C6 I've driven or ridden in acts the same. I've never put my car in a slide to test the attitude sensors and mine does have active handling. I'm not sure if all C6s have that or not. If it's controlled by sensing when the wheel slip exceeds a certain percentage (which is how I suspect it works), then I'm surprised mine hasn't engaged yet. But if that % needs to be high unless the car attitude is headed sideways, then that would explain it for me anyway because I've never come near 'losing it'.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:41 AM
jwilhelm13
Intermediate

Once again thanks for all the responses, I will certainly reach out to the tuner along with some testing once we warm up.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Control Issues?

Quick Reply: Traction Control Issues?