C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up car

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:28 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

If you want to make your floor jack(s) infinitely safer place a 2x4 cut to the proper length under the head of the raised jack, then relieve the pressure just until the 2x4 is contacted. This is what I do if I am off my lift and doing something quickly with floor jacks. Once you measure/cut the 2x4 (one for each floor jack), just store those with the jack and they'll be ready for any use. Add jack stands if you're going to be under the car, but this will hold the weight of a Corvette if the jack itself fails.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 12-05-2018 at 10:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GRCTampa (12-08-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by martinf55
Why don't you just drive up ramps without using the jack?
For some reason, the ramps dont hold on my garage floor and always slide forward when I've attempted this...
Old 12-06-2018, 10:55 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
For some reason, the ramps dont hold on my garage floor and always slide forward when I've attempted this...
Yea...been there. An extra foot comes in handy there if you can find someone who trust you while getting it started on the ramp....LOL. One of those thingys that you put under a rug to keep it from sliding will sometimes help if you put it on the first part of the ramp. Regardless.....keep this in mind if you get the ramps working. I back the car onto the ramps....that way they won't be in the way when trying to get under the car.......
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM
martinf55
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your lower spoiler is pushing the ramp away. There is not enough of an angle for the car to go up the ramp. Try to put a 2x10 piece in front of ramp so it gives you more height.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 AM
Tombovette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

sky divers, hang gliders, planes crashing, old people simply falling to the ground.

We pucker up from time to time. Oh Wait

Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I bought 4 scissor jacks at the junk yard that came out of SUVs. 5 bucks each at Pull A Part yard. You can use them with pucks or on the approved jacking points in the owners manual. Once lifted, add jackstands for safety.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:44 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
You may want to do some research on those cheap Rhino Ramps. Plenty of reports in forums of them collapsing. You get what you pay for and there is a reason the are cheap
Race Ramps appear to be very well built and I have not been able to find any reported failures. Quality costs. My head is worth the extra money.
I originally bought the Rhino Ramps - but brought them back without using them because of the potential for failure noted in the forum - the chance is probably small, but I didn't want the worry. Two part race ramps arrived yesterday - and I used them this morning to change the oil in my wife's lexus ... a little pricey but clearly sturdy and very light - and the 2 parts makes it EZ to reach the oil pan from the side. This forum is great ... happy holidays to all.
The following users liked this post:
HBsurfer (12-14-2018)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Mehrlovin
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have already purchased the Rhino ramps and there were two questions I had.

1) The ramps state they are only up 9 inch wide tires. If it's centered properly and chocked, is it safe to still use these ramps? It appears others use them on trucks with larger tires.
2) If you add a pair of jack stands, plus leave the jack in place as mentioned earlier, that gives you 3 points of failure (ramp, jack, jack stands) is that good enough?

Anyone ever remove the wheels and place them under the car as a final point of failure?

Any floorjack recommendations would also be appreciated.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...912/10157442-P
Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Mehrlovin
I have already purchased the Rhino ramps and there were two questions I had.

1) The ramps state they are only up 9 inch wide tires. If it's centered properly and chocked, is it safe to still use these ramps? It appears others use them on trucks with larger tires.
2) If you add a pair of jack stands, plus leave the jack in place as mentioned earlier, that gives you 3 points of failure (ramp, jack, jack stands) is that good enough?

Anyone ever remove the wheels and place them under the car as a final point of failure?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...912/10157442-P
2) I'm the most paranoid person on earth (gravity is a bitch) and two safety methods beyond the jack is good enough for me.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I use Rhino ramps with my Vette, with no problems. I also use j-stands, and leave the jack in a safe "contact" position. Rhino advises against wide tires to cover their butts...some idiot is going to put his vehicle with 12" tires on the ramps, but not equalize the overlap. He will leave 6'' hanging off one side, and figure, "gud'nuff". The vehicle will fall off the side of the ramps, and crush his little (fill in the blank). l The ramp does not "know" if your tires are wider than 9", and nothing bad will happen as long as you equalize the small overhang, and use additional safety devises wisely.

I would not advise using Rhino Ramps on the rear of a Top Fuel dragster, but for most other apps, no problem (again, with additional safety devices in place).
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 PM
CWIC
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

To those who need pictures to see failed Rhino Ramps simply look at the
Amazon Reviews under 'Customer Images' Amazon Reviews under 'Customer Images'
. There are enough pictures of broken, split, crushed and other failed Rhino Ramps to convince me to avoid them.
I bought some Race Ramps when they were on sale, a very nice product.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:03 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by CWIC
To those who need pictures to see failed Rhino Ramps simply look at the Amazon Reviews under 'Customer Images'. There are enough pictures of broken, split, crushed and other failed Rhino Ramps to convince me to avoid them.
I bought some Race Ramps when they were on sale, a very nice product.
cwic, if you do some really deep research, you will likely be able to find pics of crushed Race Ramps, as well, because there is no limit to the stupidity of people. Having said that, I am sure Race Ramps are a better product than Rhino Ramps. But, used correctly, and with adequate secondary support (which ALL ramps and lifts should be used with), I have no doubt there will be no problems with Rhino's.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 PM
linkedge540
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Just changed out the exhaust on my 07 model and one low profile jack to get it up on 4 jack stands and no worries.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:29 AM
CWIC
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
cwic, if you do some really deep research, you will likely be able to find pics of crushed Race Ramps, as well, because there is no limit to the stupidity of people.
I can't disagree with that, there are a lot of very determined idiots.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:47 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I use Race Ramps when I change the oil. I jamb them tightly under the front tires, then I pull up slowly onto them. No sliding at all.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I started to make ramps one time as a 2 piece unit, with a disconnect for the ramp part. About halfway into it, I decided ramps in the garage are not the best choice for low Vettes. I do use the front part after I jack up the car. If I need the rear up too, then I put jackstands on the back end.
Made my own pucks from aluminum bar stock to fit a large floor jack or a small one or a bottle jack, plus slotted for jackstands.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:07 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I use the Race Ramps from Reverse Logic. I believe they are 12" wide.

They will slide if they are not wedged in under the tires, but..... I use them in conjunction with a 4' plank off the lip in my garage as a starting point to keep the nose of the Vette away from my shelves. So, feom the lip, I have a 4' plank and rhen my Race Ramps so they can't slide at all and they are perfectly positioned when I want rhe car to stop at the top of the Race Ramps.

I use ESCO 10498 Jack Stands under the front control arms as a safety in addition to the Race Ramps.

I use the Arcan 2T XL as my rear lift along with planks of wood under the wheels. This jack is 2.75" low, and has a long arm and raises 24" up. 25" if you use a hockey puck under the jacking points.

Honestly, I need another set of Esco 10498 Jack Stands. They are awesome!! Have a rubber topping and well built.

Race Ramps and Esco 10498 Jack Stands from Fred at Reverse Logic.

Quick Reply: Jacking up car