C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM fuel pump letter is a joke BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:33 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

OP
Take your car to a dealer that wants your business, they will fix it.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Southsling
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so I'm outside the 10 year limit on the fuel pump replacement, Does anybody know a reliable non dealer in South Orange County California that can handle changing a fuel pump on a 2008 automatic?
I usually do all my own repairs but watching on-line video's, it looks like it would be easier on a rack, that you can stand under for better leverage.
The local dealer service adviser had that blank stare, when asked if they had ever done this repair before. Very scary!!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Southsling
Ok so I'm outside the 10 year limit on the fuel pump replacement, Does anybody know a reliable non dealer in South Orange County California that can handle changing a fuel pump on a 2008 automatic?
I usually do all my own repairs but watching on-line video's, it looks like it would be easier on a rack, that you can stand under for better leverage.
The local dealer service adviser had that blank stare, when asked if they had ever done this repair before. Very scary!!
I'd advise you to find a shop or dealer that has done this repair before. It's an involved and expensive job because you have to drop the entire rear cradle to get the drivers side tank out of a car with an automatic transmission. There are reports of a couple folks who have done it without dropping the cradle, but a dealer will do it by the book and drop the cradle. If you can find a speed shop that works on Corvettes you might be able to get them to do it without dropping the cradle to save some $$. I'd look for a shop that has installed the upgraded fuel pump for superchargers since they probably have experience doing this job.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:59 PM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
FYI, I can put you into direct contact with the lead NHTSA investigator if you want to contact him. I worked directly with NHTSA for over year on this investigation. The Corvette is only one of many GM models that have had this problem. Attached is the GM bulletin that was later expanded to include the Corvette. There is NOTHING in it that references the electrical connector.

CONDITION
Some 2006 model year Pontiac Pursuit, 2006-2007 model year Saturn ION, 2006-2009 model
year Chevrolet Cobalt, 2007-2009 model year Chevrolet Equinox, Pontiac G5, and Torrent, and
2008-2009 model year Chevrolet Uplander and Pontiac Montana SV6 vehicles may have a
condition in which the plastic supply or return port on the fuel pump module may crack. If either
of these ports develops a crack, fuel will leak from the area. The customer may notice a fuel odor
while the vehicle is being driven or after it is parked. If the crack becomes large enough, fuel may
be observed dripping onto the ground and vehicle performance may be affected.
thank you I am going to a second dealer Friday morning and will see how that goes. I appreciate the help from everyone. this is very frustrating. on a funny note the dealer I scheduled with for Friday has contacted me from sales and wants to do an appraisal while I am there trying to get me to buy something else. sales must be slow.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,707 Likes on 2,996 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This repair is a MAJOR fix, with a automatic car, basically the whole back end of the car needs to be disassembled to be able to get the room to drop the tanks, most dealers are getting 2k + for this repair
Old 12-07-2018, 01:20 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Didn't get the memo!!

I guess I don't count. I didn't get the memo on the fuel leak. Mine is a "purchased new" 13 GS auto.

I appreciate all the info on this thread and wish the OP the best..
Old 12-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Southsling
Cruising

So if you have a basic econo car like the Cobalt your cover for life, ("replace the fuel pump module regardless of the vehicle's age or mileage") but for a high end car like the Corvette or Cadillac you only get 10 years...Really?? I think something is wrong here.. I have a 2008 Vette that only has 20,000 miles on it, and it's not covered because it is out of the 10 year window by 5 months. Plus i never received the warning letter.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:01 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,707 Likes on 2,996 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Southsling, you are correct, This should be a recall for all C6 model years, its a freakin safety issue
Old 12-07-2018, 09:30 PM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ontime
I took my 2013 GS to my local Chevrolet dealer due to the dreaded fuel smell. After checking it out they found it leaking at the pump. Classic scenario between 1/2-3/4 full and raw fuel puddle on top of tank. Should be no contest it fits the letter we all received with the 10year 120 thousand mile coverage for this issue. NOTTTTTT The tech writes it up and in his opinion this doesn't match the bulletin. They then go to the area rep and ask him for assistance and they offer to let me get the repair that is in the bulletin for just $750.00. What a bargain. Then they also told me to call Chevrolet direct for assistance as that usually gets approval. WRONG The customer assistance rep agreed that what I was saying sounded like it was as described in the letter. She then put me on hold and called my local dealer. Comes back on the phone and said the tech wrote it as not fitting the scenario and that I should take the deal they offered as the area rep was doing a good will offer and I should be thankful for that. we had some more conversation and she said I could take it to another dealer for an additional look at it and see what they would write it up for. This has not gone well and I am going to retrieve my car and just drive it and see what happens. Pretty sad when the repair my dealer claims is required is the same fix we are supposed to be getting AT NO COST to us. I will just leave it parked outdoors now as I don't want it in my attached garage. I will keep it below half a tank. Sad to say a 14k mile vehicle has this issue.
someone should write a book on this and title it "unsafe on any day"
I took all of your advice and went to a different Chevrolet dealer this morning. They called this afternoon and it is being covered under the GM program and will be ready Tuesday.They had to order the parts. It was exactly what the bulletin showed for cracks in the fuel module. Register Chevrolet in Brooksville, Florida should be ashamed of themselves for asking me to pay for a covered repair. Thank you all for your comments and advice it was your help that kept me focused and out of the car showroom. I really haven't found anything that impresses me enough to drop my 2013 GS.
The following users liked this post:
89talon (12-10-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:29 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not south Orange Co., but American Heritage Perf. in Harbor City outside of Long Beach got a good review by BigVette427 this year. Sez they specialize in Corvettes and do good work on them. I've read of them before, too. Give them a call and ask.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 AM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

I took all of your advice and went to a different Chevrolet dealer this morning. They called this afternoon and it is being covered under the GM program and will be ready Tuesday.They had to order the parts. It was exactly what the bulletin showed for cracks in the fuel module. Register Chevrolet in Brooksville, Florida should be ashamed of themselves for asking me to pay for a covered repair. Thank you all for your comments and advice it was your help that kept me focused and out of the car showroom. I really haven't found anything that impresses me enough to drop my 2013 GS.
Glad to see this and that the 2nd dealer did as they should. Let us know who they are, too!
Also, as one member posted it wouldn't be covered as your case was in the system as a denial, good to see that this wasn't the case.

Will definitely steer clear of Register in Brooksville for any auto needs - you should post online reviews of them where ever possible.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:09 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Glad to hear it. Once the car is done, and you have it back, I'd suggest calling the first dealership back and inform them how messed up their tech is in his diagnoses. He needs to know he is wrong so he doesn't try to do the same thing to someone else.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:03 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

By the way, I'd STRONGLY recommend having the passenger side fuel sending unit replaced now while it is apart. I did not do mine and I really wish I had, because it failed about a year later, and now I'm looking at having to do it all over again.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
I guess I don't count. I didn't get the memo on the fuel leak. Mine is a "purchased new" 13 GS auto.

I'm the same. I'll have to go back through my Corvette correspondence and see if I missed something somewhere. I definitely see this as a major recall issue and wonder why NTSB have not been notified?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:38 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bigredwing
I'm the same. I'll have to go back through my Corvette correspondence and see if I missed something somewhere. I definitely see this as a major recall issue and wonder why NTSB have not been notified?
NTSB was notified back in 2014 about the issue. GM did a voluntary coverage adjustment back in 2016. Read the bulletin. https://www.xlr-net.com/wp-content/u...Bulletin-1.pdf

Last edited by CSixDude; 12-08-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Bigredwing (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Where are you in south Orange County? Capistrano, San Clemente? West Coast Corvette in Anaheim does C6 repair work.
WestCoastCorvette (12-10-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 PM
TFFTBR
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad they got it taken care of. Unfortunately, since Brooksville is a relatively small town there isn't a lot of competition and you don't always get the best employees. It also says a lot about a service manager when he doesn't question his technician basically writing a cause that won't cover a safety condition. Fuel coming from an electrical connector would raise some serious red flags with me....electricity flows through there, not fuel that. It also doesn't make sense when a dealer will lose a warranty repair by being greedy trying to make it customer pay. I work for a dealership in service and parts and we will do whatever we can to get a repair covered by warranty so there is guaranteed payment and to help build a relationship with the customer. Luckily, you're not THAT far away from other Chevrolet dealerships for future needs.
ontime (12-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To GM fuel pump letter is a joke BEWARE

Old 12-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Southsling
Cruising

Originally Posted by AORoads
Not south Orange Co., but American Heritage Perf. in Harbor City outside of Long Beach got a good review by BigVette427 this year. Sez they specialize in Corvettes and do good work on them. I've read of them before, too. Give them a call and ask.

Cool thanks.. I actually lived in Harbor City many moons ago. I will check them out.
I may also check out Corvette Mike's in Orange, little closer to where I live.
Still hoping GM will cover this repair...Even though the car is a little over the 10 year limit.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:34 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
This repair is a MAJOR fix, with a automatic car, basically the whole back end of the car needs to be disassembled to be able to get the room to drop the tanks, most dealers are getting 2k + for this repair
449er: It's not a MAJOR fix only 7.5 labor time by the dealer book,but it can be done in 5 hours if the tech has done it before.....(Short Cuts).
Old 12-10-2018, 01:37 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra

...Plus i never received the warning letter.
Originally Posted by Bigredwing
Register your car at mychevrolet dot com and you can see all warranties, special coverages, recalls, etc. for your particular car. They don't spam too excessively, and you might even get extra discount certificates every once in a while for a new car.
Bigredwing (12-10-2018)

Quick Reply: GM fuel pump letter is a joke BEWARE