A stupid question. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A stupid question.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 AM
  #1  
marinablu67
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
marinablu67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 528
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default A stupid question.

[COLOR=left=#222222]With no steering lock or manual transmission lock, how do you stop somebody from towing a C6 06>13 Corvette?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=left=#222222]I don't know what's going on with the stuff in the beginning and of my post?[/COLOR]

Last edited by marinablu67; 12-09-2018 at 09:36 AM.
marinablu67 is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM
  #2  
BLEKVET
CF Senior Member
 
BLEKVET's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: NAW-LINS
Posts: 1,592
Thanked 141 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Towing or stealing ? When parking a manual transmission car, one should always apply the parking brake and place the shifter in gear. This is to prevent free rolling down a hill or street. Not necessarily to prevent towing or theft.
BLEKVET is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BLEKVET For This Useful Post:
marinablu67 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:56 AM
  #3  
C6 Snowboarder
CF Senior Member
 
C6 Snowboarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Lib City Lib State
Posts: 5,797
Thanked 163 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Dollies have been around for years to tow a car with locked up tranny and steering wheel... dollies go on the back tires and the front end is lifted and it is bye bye..
C6 Snowboarder is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to C6 Snowboarder For This Useful Post:
marinablu67 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:04 PM
  #4  
RichKiss
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Mason OH
Posts: 468
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Locks are only for honest people. If someone wants something bad enough they will get it. My philosophy, if you want it bad enough then take it. Thats why its insured.
RichKiss is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to RichKiss For This Useful Post:
marinablu67 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:18 PM
  #5  
torquetube
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: West coast CA
Posts: 3,857
Thanked 157 Times in 137 Posts
Default

A parking brake or pawl won't stop any tow truck. Most cars are automatics, all automatics have parking pawls, and every tow truck can drag them away with ease.

Personally I think steering locks are insane. A spring-loaded boobytrap whose function is to jam my steering? No thanks. A certain number fail every year. I've experienced worn lock mechanisms where you could feel the column starting to catch on the lock. *Shudder*.

Steering locks are the result of pressure by insurance companies on the DOT. GM had to get special permission to delete it. I'm glad they did.
torquetube is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to torquetube For This Useful Post:
marinablu67 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:06 PM
  #6  
GMJim
CF Senior Member
 
GMJim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Make sure you are insured!

GMJim is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GMJim For This Useful Post:
marinablu67 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:58 PM
  #7  
marinablu67
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
marinablu67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 528
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BLEKVET View Post
Towing or stealing ? When parking a manual transmission car, one should always apply the parking brake and place the shifter in gear. This is to prevent free rolling down a hill or street. Not necessarily to prevent towing or theft.
Thanks for the reply. Towing and stealing!
When I park my car I always put the car in gear, and the parking brake on! I have a convertible, and the top is mostly down when I park, unless there is a threat of rain, so it would takes very little time to take the car out of gear and the parking brake off. This is what got me thinking about a thief with a tow truck. It would only be a matter of minutes, and the car would be on its way to a chop shop!
marinablu67 is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 02:42 PM
  #8  
GMJim
CF Senior Member
 
GMJim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
Make sure you are insured!

https://youtu.be/-XFv8u8Y2jk

You'll notice that the C5 being towed away has it's front wheels straight ahead. When I park my car I always turn my steering to the left or right. Anything to make the car less easy to take away. Given enough time they'll get it if they want it.
GMJim is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GMJim For This Useful Post:
marinablu67 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 03:07 PM
  #9  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 7,209
Thanked 723 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marinablu67 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Towing and stealing!
When I park my car I always put the car in gear, and the parking brake on! I have a convertible, and the top is mostly down when I park, unless there is a threat of rain, so it would takes very little time to take the car out of gear and the parking brake off. This is what got me thinking about a thief with a tow truck. It would only be a matter of minutes, and the car would be on its way to a chop shop!
Can you move the shift lever without the engine running, or at least having the fob on hand?

At any rate, the odds of your car being stolen by a tow truck I think would be tiny. Getting into an accident or having a heart attack would be more probable.
Bruze is online now  
Old 12-09-2018, 05:51 PM
  #10  
marinablu67
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
marinablu67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 528
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
Can you move the shift lever without the engine running, or at least having the fob on hand?

At any rate, the odds of your car being stolen by a tow truck I think would be tiny. Getting into an accident or having a heart attack would be more probable.
I can shift without the engine running, but don't know about not having the fob, seeing that it's always in my pocket. I'll have to try it. The other 2 things you mention, I try not to think about.

marinablu67 is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:38 PM
  #11  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 14,781
Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,591 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marinablu67 View Post
I can shift without the engine running, but don't know about not having the fob, seeing that it's always in my pocket. I'll have to try it. The other 2 things you mention, I try not to think about.
If it's a manual tranny, no fob needed. The shifter can be moved, and the parking brake released. The trunk can be opened, too, but that will at least set off the alarm.
owc6 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to owc6 For This Useful Post:
marinablu67 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 PM
  #12  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 7,209
Thanked 723 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
If it's a manual tranny, no fob needed. The shifter can be moved, and the parking brake released. The trunk can be opened, too, but that will at least set off the alarm.
Good evening, Mrs. Ow; I hope this day finds you well.

Two points:

When my car is parked in the barn, the fob is about 100' away in the house and on the other side of 3 walls -- so I assume it would not be active. Yet I pop the trunk sometimes with the dash button, and no alarm goes off. Should it? Or is that dependent on personal settings in the DIC?

What odds do you give Marina on getting his car stolen, having an accident, or having a heart attack?

Bruze is online now  
Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 PM
  #13  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 14,781
Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,591 Posts
Default

I'm doing well, here with the first snowfall of the winter. Drove the '08 in the snow today. How are you faring?

If the car is locked, the alarm should sound if the trunk/hatch is opened with either the dash button or the key in rear slot.

Having the fob near should make no difference.
owc6 is online now  
Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 PM
  #14  
Bruze
CF Senior Member
 
Bruze's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Finger Lakes, NYS
Posts: 7,209
Thanked 723 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
I'm doing well, here with the first snowfall of the winter. Drove the '08 in the snow today. How are you faring?

If the car is locked, the alarm should sound if the trunk/hatch is opened with either the dash button or the key in rear slot.

Having the fob near should make no difference.
Ok here, thanks.

Untangling this: Marina said he normally parked his car with the top down, so I made the unconscious assumption that he did not bother locking the doors. My car is not locked either when in the barn (or anywhere else except in civilization) so that never even entered my mind. So . . . if one has the top off/down and locks the doors, and somebody leans in and presses the hatch button, the alarm will go off . . . ?

Also: If the car is locked the alarm will not go off if one uses the button by the license plate (at least mine doesn't) but it will if you use the hatch key?
Bruze is online now  
Old 12-09-2018, 10:39 PM
  #15  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 14,781
Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,591 Posts
Default

If you don't have the fob with you, you can't open the trunk/hatch with the button in the back whether the car is locked or not. When you press the button in the rear, the car checks to see if a recognized fob is there and, if so, it will allow it to open, if not, it just ignores it.

​​​​​​ So the alarm won't go off when pressing the button no matter what.
owc6 is online now  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:06 PM
  #16  
marinablu67
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
marinablu67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 528
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

When I park the car with the top down, it's usually for short periods of time. I never even tried to lock the doors and set the alarm with the top down, does that work?

I was just curious, because all of a sudden after having the car for a little over a year, became aware that the car didn't have any apparent theft deterrent.

Last edited by marinablu67; 12-09-2018 at 11:08 PM.
marinablu67 is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:44 PM
  #17  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 14,781
Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,591 Posts
Default

The car has zero theft deterrent if left unlocked (in respect to the OP and towing or tampering). With it locked, it does have some, mainly due to the alarm sounding off if someone opens the trunk or door. It still can be towed w/o setting off any alarms.

There are still no proven incidents when a C6 or C7 has been driven off w/o a recognized fob.
owc6 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to owc6 For This Useful Post:
marinablu67 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 AM
  #18  
marinablu67
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
marinablu67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 528
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
The car has zero theft deterrent if left unlocked (in respect to the OP and towing or tampering). With it locked, it does have some, mainly due to the alarm sounding off if someone opens the trunk or door. It still can be towed w/o setting off any alarms.

There are still no proven incidents when a C6 or C7 has been driven off w/o a recognized fob.
Thanks Lisa!
So what your saying is you can lock the doors and set the alarm with the top and windows down?

marinablu67 is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:22 AM
  #19  
dlcain
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Posts: 44
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Does anyone pay attention to alarms going off anymore?
dlcain is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:50 AM
  #20  
marinablu67
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
marinablu67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 528
Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dlcain View Post
Does anyone pay attention to alarms going off anymore?
It depends on what neck of the woods you parked your car in!
marinablu67 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A stupid question.


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: