C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Permanent 2005 Column Lock Resolution from GM

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
I am going to try to call a couple dealers in the Cincy area today and see if they know anything about this TSB and/or can quote a price to install. I will post what I find out about this too.
I have a friend who lives in the Cincy area and have asked him for a recommendation on where to go.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:05 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.

I am going to try to call a couple dealers in the Cincy area today and see if they know anything about this TSB and/or can quote a price to install. I will post what I find out about this too.
My friend recommends McClusky Chevrolet; the Corvette tech is Danny Popp...
Old 12-18-2018, 09:27 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by LJD51
My friend recommends McClusky Chevrolet; the Corvette tech is Danny Popp...
Thanks, I know about him but apparently he is only working part time and hard to get. McCluskey has another tech, Larry Mallot and I left him a voicemail. I also left a voicemail at Bachman in Louisville who is the largest volume dealer in KY and also where I bought my vette. I got a live body at Jake Sweeney but she could find no open issues on my vehicle (from my VIN), I explained that this is not a recall and she understood that. She said she would look into it and get back to me. I will post what I find out, hopefully later today.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, I know about him but apparently he is only working part time and hard to get. McCluskey has another tech, Larry Mallot and I left him a voicemail. I also left a voicemail at Bachman in Louisville who is the largest volume dealer in KY and also where I bought my vette. I got a live body at Jake Sweeney but she could find no open issues on my vehicle (from my VIN), I explained that this is not a recall and she understood that. She said she would look into it and get back to me. I will post what I find out, hopefully later today.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:50 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Dropped the car off this morning. The service writer said he was going to file it as a warranty issue since they saw the "Service Column Lock" message.

[Update]: Got a call from the service adviser. On the last line of the TSB it is noted that this TSB is not covered under any type of warranty. My cost would be around $450 total. Parts cost for this repair is about $21.

I told him I can't quite swing the repair right now. With my wife's car just being repaired due to a mice getting into her car (that was super fun) and the holidays this is low on the priority list. Hopefully I can work something out the with the dealer down the road but Mark Wilson at Henna Chevrolet in Austin has been excellent to deal with and if anyone in the area needs something done I would highly recommend them.

Last edited by jaredtxrx; 12-18-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Dropped the car off this morning. The service writer said he was going to file it as a warranty issue since they saw the "Service Column Lock" message.

[Update]: Got a call from the service adviser. On the last line of the TSB it is noted that this TSB is not covered under any type of warranty. My cost would be around $450 total. Parts cost for this repair is about $21.

I told him I can't quite swing the repair right now. With my wife's car just being repaired due to a mice getting into her car (that was super fun) and the holidays this is low on the priority list. Hopefully I can work something out the with the dealer down the road but Mark Wilson at Henna Chevrolet in Austin has been excellent to deal with and if anyone in the area needs something done I would highly recommend them.
I would get it done as soon as you can now that you know what it will cost....let us know when you get it done and video the new start up..
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...

Last edited by LJD51; 12-18-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

So I did get prices from 3 different Chevy dealers today.
Bachman in Louisville, KY quoted $377.62 parts and labor
McCluskey in Cincy, OH quoted $400ish parts and labor
Sweeney in Cincy, OH quoted $456 if they did a diagnostic check along with the TSB or $341 if they just did the TSB, parts and labor. (told them I wouldn't need the scan)
I am not having any issues with my car so no plans to do this anytime soon.
I saw a earlier post quoting $600 for this so hopefully this will help us to know what the price should really be.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:19 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Sweeney in Cincy, OH quoted $456 if they did a diagnostic check along with the TSB or $341 if they just did the TSB, parts and labor. (told them I wouldn't need the scan)
I saw a earlier post quoting $600 for this so hopefully this will help us to know what the price should really be.
Make sure every dealer knows the key step in the process is to flash the BCM; here is the video explaining the process and what the flash to the BCM does...
Facebook Post
The following users liked this post:
cadyshac (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:10 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Or you could just get a bypass module for $69.00 , then the car won't need $400.00 to $600.00 worth of work. My module has been installed for almost 4 years and works just fine.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-19-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:24 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WW7
Or you could just get a bypass module for $69.00 , then the car won't need $400.00 to $600.00 worth of work. My module has been installed for almost 4 years and works just fine.....WW
I had two of the original bypasses (designed by Victor when he worked) from CCH and both failed within 18 months. It's each owners choice, but if GM has issued a TSB to permanently bypass the column lock, I would invest the $$$ to have it done.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:42 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I have the bypass in my car, its been in for about 3 years now with no issues till now, all of a sudden the SCL message will not stay off I can push the reset an it will go off but come right back on 5 mins later. The car runs fine with it on but its very annoying when im trying to read other car gauges like oil temp, coolant temp, oil pressure.
I took it to the dealer about a week ago they told me $700 to fix it and said nothing about the fix described in the video.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:55 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the bypass done for several years now and no problem. I would like to see the "have to park in reverse" thing go away. Best way to drain the battery on an 05.
The following 2 users liked this post by mophead:
BMF_C6 (02-28-2019), navarrelivin (04-20-2021)
Old 12-19-2018, 06:00 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I remember the last time GM issued a fix for column lock....
Old 12-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist

I’ll have to give Criswell a call. It is an hour+ drive to get there from my house. I’ve been to several GBurg Vette Club car shows there.

Last edited by Jon05vette; 12-19-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-19-2018, 10:43 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
I have the bypass in my car, its been in for about 3 years now with no issues till now, all of a sudden the SCL message will not stay off I can push the reset an it will go off but come right back on 5 mins later. The car runs fine with it on but its very annoying when im trying to read other car gauges like oil temp, coolant temp, oil pressure.
I took it to the dealer about a week ago they told me $700 to fix it and said nothing about the fix described in the video.
so I had the same issue. I purchased another OEM SCLM from one of the discount suppliers. For around $125 and had my solder experts at my company inspect the new SCLM. IT HAD SOME COLD SOLDER joints (pretty common for those modules) on the main connector that they repaired. I installed the new SCLM using the old bypass module and the “Check Column Lock” on the DIC has not returned.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:37 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
Go back and see the Service Manager and have him look up TSB (#18-NA-346, issued Nov 14, 2018) in their system; he should be able to pull it up.
The following users liked this post:
COMMANDER2OOO (12-20-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you contact Criswell Chevrolet? They are the largest Corvette dealer in Greater DC area (I used to live in NOVA).
they finally got back to me today. They were unaware of the TSB and had to investigate it. They were actually glad to see GM had a real fix for the 2005. The person I talked to did not think the fix they came up with for the C5 was not very reliable.
They are quoting the same $600 price as the dealership near me is quoting. $145 if I onlY want the bcm reflashed (thought I would ask).

They told old me they had several Certified Corvette techs and can incorporate the mod in about 4 hours same day.
I think I trust this dealershp a little more than some of my smaller locals and will have to work a date with them pending the weather.

Get notified of new replies

To Permanent 2005 Column Lock Resolution from GM

Old 12-21-2018, 10:29 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Go back and see the Service Manager and have him look up TSB (#18-NA-346, issued Nov 14, 2018) in their system; he should be able to pull it up.
just another thing to check..... i started getting the “check column lock” on the DIC more often the last 4-5 months after not seeing it for about two years after I installed the bypass module. When I had my headers installed last month, the tech told me the battery connections at the starter were loose. That could definately cause a voltage drop that could cause the “check column lock” to come up on the DIC. I have heard battery connections loosening at the starter is a common issue with the C6. I think I’ll be checking those connection each time a change the oil now. ��. Column lock or not, loose connections at the starter can not be good in general.

Last edited by Jon05vette; 12-21-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by Jon05vette:
89talon (01-02-2019), sallen619 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:44 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I had the same experience, i installed the bypass and was good for two years, then i started receiving the SCLM and it would go away when i reset it, and then come back, the car started ok for awhile then i started having the no start issue. I ended up buying a new Module and a new bypass, i installed them both and so far everything has been good
Old 12-23-2018, 04:42 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
I had the same experience, i installed the bypass and was good for two years, then i started receiving the SCLM and it would go away when i reset it, and then come back, the car started ok for awhile then i started having the no start issue. I ended up buying a new Module and a new bypass, i installed them both and so far everything has been good
The module was replaced 8 times and I put two of the bypasses in; still had failures...one failure of the OEM module was 47 days after the 12 month warranty expired, so there was another $700 out the door...I gave up on the bypass since it failed twice.

JMHO, if GM issued the fix in a TSB, I would have the fix done and then, if it failed again, it should be on GM's dime to fix it again.

Quick Reply: Permanent 2005 Column Lock Resolution from GM