C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** C6 GS mod list **

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:14 AM
d-mob
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** C6 GS mod list **

Hi everyone,Im a new member here so please forgive me if I may sound as a Newbie. im planning a mod list to improve performance and daily drivability of a 2011 C6 GS Auto.
my plan for the car is to not keep it as a daily driver, but a car that I can enjoy from time to time and on occasions can take to work with no issues in driveability.
so far this is my mod list:
Dewitts Aluminum radiotor (I havn't decided which one yet).
Elite Engineering oil catch can & Tunnel brace to reduce the heat coming to the interior from the Transmission.
160 thermostat
engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler (don't know which brand to get or whether I need them)
vararam CAI
1/7 8 LT headers (havn't decided between TSP or KOOKs or Henson, mainly because I heard that TSP Headers are really tight)
Stock Catback with M2W switch
finally a Cam Package from TSP.

so far that's what I have in mind, I would really appreciatte your feedback and suggestions regarding the above mods and your comments are always appreciatted.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:34 AM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Welcome and that is a nice list. Since the car is an auto, be very careful with your cam selection as it will determine whether or not you will need to upgrade your stall converter. Nothing is more miserable than driving a car that has too big of a cam for its converter.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

Nice list and welcome. Personally, based on your description of intended use, I would skip the radiator and put that money into a B&B Fusion exhaust to go with those headers and cam. That not only completes the logical additions, you will pick up power and significant aesthetics for your driving enjoyment.

As as for the cam, just as Red stated, you may need a stall converter depending on the specs you choose. Also, be aware that earlier maintenance of springs may be necessary. Example, a max-effort cam will need new springs every 20-25K miles.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:03 AM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 150 Posts

"Tunnel brace to reduce the heat coming to the interior from the Transmission."

If you are serious about reducing heat, you'll need to do more than replace the tunnel brace/plate. I chose to fully insulate the tunnel above and below the plate. Others have opted to apply insulation to the interior. Both approaches are effective.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 AM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by d-mob
Hi everyone,Im a new member here so please forgive me if I may sound as a Newbie. im planning a mod list to improve performance and daily drivability of a 2011 C6 GS Auto.
my plan for the car is to not keep it as a daily driver, but a car that I can enjoy from time to time and on occasions can take to work with no issues in driveability.
Elite Engineering oil catch can & Tunnel brace to reduce the heat coming to the interior from the Transmission.
160 thermostat
engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler (don't know which brand to get or whether I need them)
vararam CAI
1/7 8 LT headers (havn't decided between TSP or KOOKs or Henson, mainly because I heard that TSP Headers are really tight)

so far that's what I have in mind, I would really appreciatte your feedback and suggestions regarding the above mods and your comments are always appreciatted.

Well, my opinion will likely be met with some opposition but here goes... Going from what you stated will be your use of your car, I can tell you from experience LEAVE IT ALONE! Wheels sure, paint get what you like. Interior mods knock yourself out. But unless you want a problematic temperamental car, leave it as it was built. It will last you for many years.

Mark
Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 AM
d-mob
6th Gear

Thank you all for your replies, I truly appreciate it.

what brands would you use for the mod list I posted above?and is it true that the TSP Headers are a really tight fit or should I go with hinson Headers?
would love to hear your feedback.

thanks
Old 12-15-2018, 09:38 AM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Sounds good so far...let's see a pic of the car if you got one.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:01 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

IMO no need for the radiator unless you are trying to solve a problem of over heating due to something like a blower... you arent...

160 thermostat... again, mostly useless... Ive never personally seen anything from all the claims that lower temp thermostats do anything.

As far as an EOC and TOC, you already have a TOC being an auto... As far as an EOC, are your oil temps running way hot? My guess is no or you dont know...

Im partial to Halltech CAI's.

I ran TSP's in my 07 Z06... they hang LOW to the ground, I drug them a decent amount. Besides that they were good bang for the buck and fit was good. Hinsons are mild steel with a coating unless something has changed. I would skip them based on that. In my 11 GS I will most likely be running American Racing or maybe Kooks...and definitely ceramic coated.

I wont talk you out of doing a cam, but just realize that anything that will give you decent gains will become a pain in the *** to drive and require more parts than you want to throw at it(as was said above a proper stall converter).

Im planning on going to a centri blower from A&A on my 11 GS and leaving the rest mostly stock except for headers... I may also go to a Dewitts(with EOC and TOC) as well as a D3/Prospeed fan setup to help control temps down here in Texas once you block the front with an intercooler.
The following users liked this post:
h8snow (12-18-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:34 AM
d-mob
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rjacobs
IMO no need for the radiator unless you are trying to solve a problem of over heating due to something like a blower... you arent...

160 thermostat... again, mostly useless... Ive never personally seen anything from all the claims that lower temp thermostats do anything.

As far as an EOC and TOC, you already have a TOC being an auto... As far as an EOC, are your oil temps running way hot? My guess is no or you dont know...

Im partial to Halltech CAI's.

I ran TSP's in my 07 Z06... they hang LOW to the ground, I drug them a decent amount. Besides that they were good bang for the buck and fit was good. Hinsons are mild steel with a coating unless something has changed. I would skip them based on that. In my 11 GS I will most likely be running American Racing or maybe Kooks...and definitely ceramic coated.

I wont talk you out of doing a cam, but just realize that anything that will give you decent gains will become a pain in the *** to drive and require more parts than you want to throw at it(as was said above a proper stall converter).

Im planning on going to a centri blower from A&A on my 11 GS and leaving the rest mostly stock except for headers... I may also go to a Dewitts(with EOC and TOC) as well as a D3/Prospeed fan setup to help control temps down here in Texas once you block the front with an intercooler.
That's a nice build you're planning brother, regarding the EOC, the radiator & thermostat I was just gonna install them for the peace of mind because the weather in UAE is really hot here, but regarding the headers I might get the Kooks, LG or even ARH Long tubes ceramic coated ofcourse, the Cam Package should be a tough one cause if I go to big of a cam I will need a stall converter as some members here have said.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,958 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would recommend a set of long tubes with full flow cats and x pipe through to Corsa Sports. Then I would use a Halltech CIA with the Bee Hive and then get it tuned. You should be somewhere north of 400 rwhp and 400 torque. That is a lot of power and you can save the trouble on the cam and other stuff. I have a Snow Meth injection on mine also for when I really run it hard in the 1/2 miles.

Works for me. If you want to really get crazy just put a Procharger on it...... 550 rwhp will get your attention.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:04 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,130 Posts

160 thermostat
vararam CAI

FWIW, I also have an '11 GS A6 with the DeWitts 32-1139105A rad and Elite catch can. I didn't go for the optional 2-fan system, simply because that requires some custom wiring and can be added after the fact if needed. I thought about getting the DeWitts that had the optional EOC and blocking off those ports in the event that I didn't like the oil temps and wanted to add an oil cooler, but I didn't. Most everything else is stock. As has been stated by a few folks above, the 160 stat won't do much for you particularly if you are stuck in traffic, other than give you a few minutes of reserve cooling before the fan ramps up to 90% and you are in the +220F range. To my mind, the folks who designed the LS3 and specified the optimal operating temperature have my vote as to what stat should be in the car, and with the DeWitts rad there's no problem keeping the operating temps between 221 - 223 F even when stuck (read stopped) in traffic with an outside ambient of 108 F. Coolant temps are controlled by the fan programming, and not the stat under these circumstances, although it is possible to modify how soon and by how much the fan comes on with a 'tune'. If you are traveling above 45 mph (or so), then the fan shouldn't be coming on at all, and at highway speeds, I find that I'm pretty much running at stat temp regardless of ambient up to 108F, having driven across the Texas panhandle (keeping up with traffic where the speed limit was 80), and on across the desert into Barstow in the summer. Engine oil temps were below coolant temps pretty much all the time, and transmission fluid temps were even lower, IIRC. Can't say what happens past 108 F, not having experienced it. As far as the catch can is concerned, it does capture oil before it pools in the intake manifold. Whether or not you need the can is controversial on this forum for sure, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I did some research on it, and also had a lengthy conversation about the cans with a club member, who also happens to have around 40 years experience as a GM mechanic, and has worked on LS3's. He relayed a story wherein the first time he removed the intake, he held it up against his chest vertically, and oil poured out of it, ruining his work shirt. The Elite can is quite easy to install, especially using their bracket and mounting kit.

Insulating the tunnel might help keeping heat out of the console - things get quite warm in there after a few hours of driving, but nothing I had in there melted or got ruined, including on old I-pod Shuttle, which works just fine plugged into the USB port. With the air running, the cabin is very comfortable, and I didn't notice any unusually hot surfaces, but things do get warm. With the roof off, there was enough air flow in and around the cabin so that the heat really didn't build up. Our bags sitting in the hatch got warm for sure after driving for 6 or 8 hours, but not ridiculously hot. However, if you are going to drop the exhaust for the mods you have in mind, then by all means insulate the tunnel at the same time.

I got the vette as a touring and cruising machine, and not as a daily driver. I've got 2 other boring cars to do that. I've had it since October of last year, and put over 12000 miles on it touring and cruising, even though it can't be driven pretty much from mid Nov to mid Apr where I live. It's seen the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, and if my health holds and pigs don't learn to fly, I'm planning right now to drive the Dixie Highway this late spring / early summer from Sault St Marie to Miami, on to Key West, and then follow Route 1 (mostly) up to Fort Kent ME before heading back home. Enjoy your GS, they are great cars.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

That's a nice build you're planning brother, regarding the EOC, the radiator & thermostat I was just gonna install them for the peace of mind because the weather in UAE is really hot here, but regarding the headers I might get the Kooks, LG or even ARH Long tubes ceramic coated ofcourse, the Cam Package should be a tough one cause if I go to big of a cam I will need a stall converter as some members here have said.
A thermostat wont cool your car any, it just makes it come up to temperature slower. If you're that worried about temps, the radiator and a higher performance water pump would be on my list. The thermostat will do nothing for you. The engine oil cooler likely wont fo much unless you're on a track. It will only cool better if you're moving, at which point your coolant is doing most of the cooling of the oil. The EOC is for situations like racing where you are moving but also creating a lot of heat at high rpms all the time.

Long story short, you're better off spending that money on routinely having the sand cleaned out of the factory coolers. The car was designed to cool itself in your temperatures. Even if outside temps were 120F, that's still VERY cool air compared to your coolant and oil.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 AM
d-mob
6th Gear

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
FWIW, I also have an '11 GS A6 with the DeWitts 32-1139105A rad and Elite catch can. I didn't go for the optional 2-fan system, simply because that requires some custom wiring and can be added after the fact if needed. I thought about getting the DeWitts that had the optional EOC and blocking off those ports in the event that I didn't like the oil temps and wanted to add an oil cooler, but I didn't. Most everything else is stock. As has been stated by a few folks above, the 160 stat won't do much for you particularly if you are stuck in traffic, other than give you a few minutes of reserve cooling before the fan ramps up to 90% and you are in the +220F range. To my mind, the folks who designed the LS3 and specified the optimal operating temperature have my vote as to what stat should be in the car, and with the DeWitts rad there's no problem keeping the operating temps between 221 - 223 F even when stuck (read stopped) in traffic with an outside ambient of 108 F. Coolant temps are controlled by the fan programming, and not the stat under these circumstances, although it is possible to modify how soon and by how much the fan comes on with a 'tune'. If you are traveling above 45 mph (or so), then the fan shouldn't be coming on at all, and at highway speeds, I find that I'm pretty much running at stat temp regardless of ambient up to 108F, having driven across the Texas panhandle (keeping up with traffic where the speed limit was 80), and on across the desert into Barstow in the summer. Engine oil temps were below coolant temps pretty much all the time, and transmission fluid temps were even lower, IIRC. Can't say what happens past 108 F, not having experienced it. As far as the catch can is concerned, it does capture oil before it pools in the intake manifold. Whether or not you need the can is controversial on this forum for sure, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I did some research on it, and also had a lengthy conversation about the cans with a club member, who also happens to have around 40 years experience as a GM mechanic, and has worked on LS3's. He relayed a story wherein the first time he removed the intake, he held it up against his chest vertically, and oil poured out of it, ruining his work shirt. The Elite can is quite easy to install, especially using their bracket and mounting kit.

Insulating the tunnel might help keeping heat out of the console - things get quite warm in there after a few hours of driving, but nothing I had in there melted or got ruined, including on old I-pod Shuttle, which works just fine plugged into the USB port. With the air running, the cabin is very comfortable, and I didn't notice any unusually hot surfaces, but things do get warm. With the roof off, there was enough air flow in and around the cabin so that the heat really didn't build up. Our bags sitting in the hatch got warm for sure after driving for 6 or 8 hours, but not ridiculously hot. However, if you are going to drop the exhaust for the mods you have in mind, then by all means insulate the tunnel at the same time.

I got the vette as a touring and cruising machine, and not as a daily driver. I've got 2 other boring cars to do that. I've had it since October of last year, and put over 12000 miles on it touring and cruising, even though it can't be driven pretty much from mid Nov to mid Apr where I live. It's seen the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, and if my health holds and pigs don't learn to fly, I'm planning right now to drive the Dixie Highway this late spring / early summer from Sault St Marie to Miami, on to Key West, and then follow Route 1 (mostly) up to Fort Kent ME before heading back home. Enjoy your GS, they are great cars.
Thank you brother for sharing your experience and info.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:49 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thermostats control the minimum temperatures and airflow controls the maximum temps. It's just that simple. The stock fan lacks the ability to cool even a lightly modded C6 in stop 'n go traffic with 90 F ambiant temps, however you can cruise at 50 mph all day in 115 F heat with no fan and coolant temps will never exceed the t-stat by 15 F.

In Phoenix, I monitor the coolant temps most of the year. When I see it going 230 F+, the AC goes off, the windows down, and the heater on full blast until I can get out of the slow speed congestion to gain radiator airflow. My body can take the heat a lot longer than my car.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 12-18-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:51 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Thermostats control the minimum temperatures and airflow controls the maximum temps. It's just that simple. The stock fan lacks the ability to cool even a lightly modded C6 in stop 'n go traffic with 90 F ambiant temps, however you can cruise at 50 mph all day in 115 F heat with no fan and coolant temps will never exceed the t-stat by 15 F.

In Phoenix, I monitor the coolant temps most of the year. When I see it going 230 F+, the AC goes off, the windows down, and the heater on full blast until I can get out of the slow speed congestion to gain radiator airflow. My body can take the heat a lot longer than my car.

Great point here. Might want to look into higher output fans first and foremost.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:03 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEV AGAIN

Well, my opinion will likely be met with some opposition but here goes... Going from what you stated will be your use of your car, I can tell you from experience LEAVE IT ALONE! Wheels sure, paint get what you like. Interior mods knock yourself out. But unless you want a problematic temperamental car, leave it as it was built. It will last you for many years.

Mark
I would generally agree with this.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:22 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 194 Posts

I would leave the car alone. Spend money on maintenance and tires. In my opinion adding after market junk just messes up the car and will deprecate the resale value.

Get notified of new replies

To ** C6 GS mod list **

Quick Reply: ** C6 GS mod list **