C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Warranty recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:25 PM
LiLi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Warranty recommendations

Hello C6 Family. I recently just purchased my first Vette. 2013 3LT Coupe. I am looking for many things but one is purchasing an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty. 1) Are there any recommendations 2) Is it worth it
Old 12-29-2018, 04:15 PM
ken breaux
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Email Dennis Fichtner <dfichtner@dennymenholt.com> he offers the GMPP warranties at great rates
Old 12-29-2018, 04:19 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

we got a GMEPP for my wifes 12 GS when she got it with 16K miles on it...$0 deductible....used it once so far and had no issues bought it through a local dealer....no matter what anyone tells you they are all supposed to price them the same, call around and see for yourself...we checked with several dealerships and they were all the same price

not sure where you are in Florida but we had her repairs done at Powertech Performance who is authorized to do GM warranty and extended GMEPP repairs
Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Is it worth it??

It is a service plan and not a warranty.
Service plan companies take in more money from selling them than they pay out in repair reimbursements. Else they wouldn't do it.
You have to decide your tolerance for risk. It is basically an insurance plan and you would decide if you buy the insurance or self-insure.
The responses you get on here will likely be from those who did well with them. Those who didn't use it or were paid back less than what their premium was are less likely to respond.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:59 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LiLi
1) Are there any recommendations 2) Is it worth it
1. I wouldn’t consider any warranty other than gmepp.

2. Probably not, unless you’re one of the few who will put real miles on the car. Even then I think it would be a tough ROI.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:09 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Is it worth it??

It is a service plan and not a warranty.
Service plan companies take in more money from selling them than they pay out in repair reimbursements. Else they wouldn't do it.
You have to decide your tolerance for risk. It is basically an insurance plan and you would decide if you buy the insurance or self-insure.
The responses you get on here will likely be from those who did well with them. Those who didn't use it or were paid back less than what their premium was are less likely to respond.
Originally Posted by 919cw313

1. I wouldn’t consider any warranty other than gmepp.

2. Probably not, unless you’re one of the few who will put real miles on the car. Even then I think it would be a tough ROI.

I dunno...its bumper to bumper the first claim paid for over $800 worth of parts and labor was 1/3 of the cost of the warranty.....my buddy owns the shop that did the work said ALLY was great to work with....he could have done it for us for less than what the warranty company paid but that would have been out of our pocket getting, ready to submit 1 or 2 more things before the term is up

FWIW I bought the extended on my 07Z06 when I got it new and never used it only issues I had were covered by recall or TSB so in that case it was a waste of money but I knew I would own the car far past the 3/36 factory...I still have it now over 100K....and FWIW the GM wheel and tire coverage is complete ****...

so there is an example of both good and bad.....the main reason we bought it for her 12 is we didn't know the cars history otherwise like in the case of my 07 we probably wouldn't have spent the money

Last edited by pewter99; 12-29-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:31 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The real benefit of a GMEPP is peace of mind. As previously stated, many second and third owners of a vehicle do not know with 100% certainty of a vehicle's past. When a dealer tells you that "he personally knows the previous owner and they babied this car" that dealer is likely full of **** and just trying to make a sale. Take it for what it is worth... They are not going to come out of the pocket and pay for any repairs you may encounter down the road, no matter how well they know the previous owner. I got my GMEPP from Rich Willhoff at Abel Chevrolet. He is one of the few dealers who can still sell them in the state of CA. Reason being, it is looked at as an insurance policy and you must obtain an insurance license in CA in order to sell them here. Most dealerships will not do that, so they stopped selling them in CA. A lot of people use Dennis Fichtner, and he seems like a good dealer to go with, too. But, he does not offer them in CA. So, I sought out Rich and bought one through him. They both quoted pretty much the same price for my particular vehicle, so it is more of a personal preference who you go with. These are pretty much the numbers I was quoted:

Policy Length/Miles $0 Deductible $100 Deductible

36 month / 24k miles $1,685 $1,510
48 month / 32k miles $2,140 $1,965
60 month / 40k miles $2,450 $2,275
72 month / 72k miles $3,995 $3,550
Old 12-29-2018, 09:35 PM
DezVette
Pro

Oh, I forgot to mention that if you get a GMEPP you must have all services, including oil changes, done at a shop who will record mileage and oil used in the computer so it can be tracked with the car. You cannot perform your own oil changes. Just in case that matters to you.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by DezVette
The real benefit of a GMEPP is peace of mind. As previously stated, many second and third owners of a vehicle do not know with 100% certainty of a vehicle's past. When a dealer tells you that "he personally knows the previous owner and they babied this car" that dealer is likely full of **** and just trying to make a sale. Take it for what it is worth... They are not going to come out of the pocket and pay for any repairs you may encounter down the road, no matter how well they know the previous owner. I got my GMEPP from Rich Willhoff at Abel Chevrolet. He is one of the few dealers who can still sell them in the state of CA. Reason being, it is looked at as an insurance policy and you must obtain an insurance license in CA in order to sell them here. Most dealerships will not do that, so they stopped selling them in CA. A lot of people use Dennis Fichtner, and he seems like a good dealer to go with, too. But, he does not offer them in CA. So, I sought out Rich and bought one through him. They both quoted pretty much the same price for my particular vehicle, so it is more of a personal preference who you go with. These are pretty much the numbers I was quoted:

Policy Length/Miles $0 Deductible $100 Deductible

36 month / 24k miles $1,685 $1,510
48 month / 32k miles $2,140 $1,965
60 month / 40k miles $2,450 $2,275
72 month / 72k miles $3,995 $3,550
Oh, I forgot to mention that if you get a GMEPP you must have all services, including oil changes, done at a shop who will record mileage and oil used in the computer so it can be tracked with the car. You cannot perform your own oil changes. Just in case that matters to you.
yep thats what we paid for my wifes plan....I had not read anything about the oil change policy you stated nor have I heard anyone say that
Old 12-30-2018, 12:38 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

That would seem to counter the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. At least in theory, they must show that your inferior parts/maintenance caused/contributed to the failure.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:50 AM
DezVette
Pro

Just going by what Rich told me:

This warranty is an exclusionary warranty so everything is covered with the exceptions of those items listed in exclusions. I have attached a copy of the actual GMEPP contract if you want to read through and check it out. This is about as comprehensive as you can get with an extended warranty. Maintenance repairs have to be performed as recommended in the owners manual and done at a shop. Most extended warranties, including this one, require a shop performs maintenance and records the date, VIN, mileage and specific part number of the oil and filter used. You can not do your own oil changes and they will typically ask for proof of maintenance records if there is a failure.
iPad will not let me upload a screen grab of the contract...

Last edited by DezVette; 12-30-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:26 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,795 Likes on 4,232 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I bought a 7yr/100k MaxCare service plan for my wife’s ‘16 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited because there are some well known engine issues with the Jeep & I knew we would keep it well after the factory warranty expired plus we got it for only $1200. My ‘12 GS was a GM Certified Pre-owned & had some coverage left when I bought it. It also has 2 or 3 10/120k supplemental coverages on the clutch & other components from GM & I knew I would be adding several modifications so spending $3-4K on an extended service plan didn’t make sense on this car.

I would first check if your new Vette has any extended coverages already attached. Register your car on Chevy.com & it will tell you. Also ask your local GM dealer for a vehicle service history report which will tell you what coverages it has & what warranty work has already been done. I have not seen many, if any, major problems talked about with the C6 so decide if spending that extra on the service plan is worth it or if you should just put $ away in an interest-bearing account in case something ever goes wrong.

Last edited by JABCAT; 12-30-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Hello C6 Family. I recently just purchased my first Vette. 2013 3LT Coupe. I am looking for many things but one is purchasing an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty. 1) Are there any recommendations 2) Is it worth it
I generally stay away from add-on warranties, whether for TV's, washing machines or cars.....just a way for the manufacturer to make extra revenue. That plus the fact that the C6's have been pretty reliable & where there have been issues, GM has issued TSB's/recalls or OEM warranty extensions to cover the issues (i.e. low beam headlight failures; master cylinder failures; etc). That said, I did buy a GMPP plan from Fitchner when I bought my '05 new. Reasoning was first year of the model change & many new mechanical & electronics. Turned out never had to use it. If you're the nervous type & want a "security blanket" then go for it.....otherwise spend the money on some mods to get yourself instant gratification!
Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I don't buy extended warranties on anything. If the product is so bad that the short term warranty isn't long enough to cover the expected failure, I buy a better product or plan to buy another one as needed. If a product outlives the built in warranty, then you either didn't use it much or you got your money's worth out of it for the time of use.
Manufacturing defects usually show up in the fairly early use. It's why GM has a 3/36 B2B warranty to cover the small stuff, since the major stuff has proven to last far longer than the 60/100K, which is a confidence builder promoting the initial sale. Obviously, the warranty is built into the price.

Treat extended warranties like any other type of insurance. If the financial risk is beyond your capability to contend with a major loss, then the cost has value. A worst case total engine failure cost is less than $10K, so if your fear level of that extremely unlikely event happening and causing you major stress, then spend the $4K for 7 years peace of mind.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you can't afford some average repair costs, you shouldn't be driving a Vette.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:32 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Put the Money you would spend on the Contract into a Mutual Fund... draw out of it when you need it... in 36 months take what you have left and go on a prepaid vacation somewhere. These are too reliable to waste $$ on a warranty.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ken breaux
Email Dennis Fichtner <dfichtner@dennymenholt.com> he offers the GMPP warranties at great rates
I am on my third warranty that I purchased from Dennis. All have been positive experiences.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:24 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre34

I am on my third warranty that I purchased from Dennis. All have been positive experiences.
This ^^^^^^. I ran through two GMEPP from Dennis and would have done a third but couldn’t qualify due to exceeding the 10 year limit. Mine paid for themselves with repairs incurred since purchase.

Last edited by dpigguy; 12-30-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Warranty recommendations

Old 12-30-2018, 08:41 PM
Buck Henry
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

They would not sell extended warranties if they did not make money off of them (i.e.. the majority of buyers never use them). I personally never buy extended warranties for anything! Put that money in the bank and then buy yourself something nice when the warranty you did not purchase expires. .
Old 12-30-2018, 09:31 PM
Jbeautexas
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Simply curious, why do you want to buy a warranty on your Vette? The LS2/3 are pretty reliable motors. An LS7, I’d get it...

My dd is a Suburban I purchased with high miles, drive 27-30k a year, bought a warranty on that truck, but passes on my 06’ Vette.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I don't buy extended warranties on anything. If the product is so bad that the short term warranty isn't long enough to cover the expected failure, I buy a better product or plan to buy another one as needed. If a product outlives the built in warranty, then you either didn't use it much or you got your money's worth out of it for the time of use.
Manufacturing defects usually show up in the fairly early use. It's why GM has a 3/36 B2B warranty to cover the small stuff, since the major stuff has proven to last far longer than the 60/100K, which is a confidence builder promoting the initial sale. Obviously, the warranty is built into the price.

Treat extended warranties like any other type of insurance. If the financial risk is beyond your capability to contend with a major loss, then the cost has value. A worst case total engine failure cost is less than $10K, so if your fear level of that extremely unlikely event happening and causing you major stress, then spend the $4K for 7 years peace of mind.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you can't afford some average repair costs, you shouldn't be driving a Vette.
Generally, I agree w. you and the above. But today, you could have a $2K repair one year and then a $4K repair the next. I don't think that makes a car completely unreliable and subject to being sold for another car---it's a fact of the complexity of what's in the car. Like "bikevette's" edifferential in his newer C7 model which was over $5300. The C6 might not have as complex a differential, but it's got a digital dash and an auto trans both of which aren't cheap to fix or replace major parts of them..

If the above is true for GMEPP "extended warranty" that is a bit odd. And it would mean that it's a major departure from the prior plan, GMPP. Plus, a departure from GM's own, CPO (certified pre-owned) and most other car companies' CPO programs. In other words, it's definitely not the norm which may make it less than useful or worth the extra money. So, to the OP even IF you can get a GMEPP I would read carefully the fine print of what is required of you.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Warranty recommendations