C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GS Electronic lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:44 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 GS Electronic lock issue

First off I'd like to introduce myself. My names Garrett and I just recently purchased my first corvette which was a 2011 jetstream blue grand sport. I purchased the car on Monday and never had this issue until after I left the dealer. Dealer does not cover any issues once I left due to no warranty.

About 70% of the time when I go to get out of the car the driver door doesnt want to open using the electronic lock so I have to use the one in the floor to open it. Also have a issue when I close the door the window does not index up like it should and this happens on both doors. And sometimes if it does go up it does not go into the lip as it should once again this is both doors.

My question is what causes this issue and what is the solution?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:42 AM
taguid
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

You can re-index windows by holding window buttons up for about 10 seconds. Not sure about other problem.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

The door might not be opening 'because' of the window indexing not being right. Post back.

Congrats on the new GS. In for pics.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:39 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

If you do end up needing any of the door lock hardware, check with Gene Culley (Forum Vendor Cultrag Performance, sells GM parts).

http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/
Old 01-03-2019, 12:47 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

To re-index the windows, first close the door then the window. Then hold the window close/raise for 3-5 seconds. Hopefully that fixes your window issue at least.

About the door issue, make sure the door is not locked when trying to open it. I have a manual transmission, and with the auto locks sometimes the doors would be locked when the car was running. The first few times it threw me for a loop until I realized under certain conditions the doors were locked and I had to press unlock to open the doors with the door button. If you have an auto or some other issue, then this is of no help.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
To re-index the windows, first close the door then the window. Then hold the window close/raise for 3-5 seconds. Hopefully that fixes your window issue at least.

About the door issue, make sure the door is not locked when trying to open it. I have a manual transmission, and with the auto locks sometimes the doors would be locked when the car was running. The first few times it threw me for a loop until I realized under certain conditions the doors were locked and I had to press unlock to open the doors with the door button. If you have an auto or some other issue, then this is of no help.
I will try to re-index the windows today after work and double check that lock issue like you have. This is my first vette and first Chevy so it is throwing me for a loop!
The following users liked this post:
GS60th#47 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:32 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

There's also threads on the forum where guys show how to remove the door latch and do a clean/re-lube on that to get them working like new again. Search that out if you're still having trouble with the door opening. (or post back, somebody will link it up for you).
Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred

I also have a 2011 M6 GS and I always back up into parking spots. I always open my door to look behind when parking. I always have to first unlock the door then the electronic lock will work to open the door.

It is a bit annoying but like TorchRedFred stated, this could be your issue also.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

So I re-indexed the windows and it worked for like half dozen opens and then it started again. I need to find the thread about how to clean the electronic switches like mentioned above and try that this weekend.

Also the passenger side sometimes doesnt slide into the groove on the roof it goes outside of it which is odd lol.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
I also have a 2011 M6 GS and I always back up into parking spots. I always open my door to look behind when parking.
Not to hijack the thread, but Spaceme you need a back up camera. I also back into parking spots and one of the reasons I changed my head unit was to be able to easily add a backup camera. Backing into spots couldn't be easier now. The Corvette is difficult to see behind.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:12 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Garrett Brooks
I need to find the thread about how to clean the electronic switches like mentioned above and try that this weekend.
Most of the threads I have seen about cleaning the door button pertain to the outside handle. Hopefully you get it resolved, good luck!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Try a battery reset
disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it off for several minutes
reattach, reindex windows and see if that fixes it
Old 01-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
Try a battery reset
disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it off for several minutes
reattach, reindex windows and see if that fixes it
I will try this. It was working great for about 3 days then yesterday when I went to the store it happened 3 times in a row lol.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Still have the issue and actually has gotten worse. took the car out last night the door wouldnt open from the inside using electronic lock, once I got out I closed the door and a few minutes later went to get in and the electronic lock on the outside didnt work. So at this point I'm stumped without tearing the door apart and cluelessly looking at the parts.

Great way to start ownership of my first corvette good job Chevy lol
Old 01-14-2019, 09:37 PM
BigBoo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. Sucks dealership didn't offer some kind of warranty. I bought my 2011 GS in May and the dealership gave me a 6 month 6,000 mile warranty. Allowed me to get map lights and passenger window working as well as reprogramming keys to #1 & #2 free of charge.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigBoo
Wow. Sucks dealership didn't offer some kind of warranty. I bought my 2011 GS in May and the dealership gave me a 6 month 6,000 mile warranty. Allowed me to get map lights and passenger window working as well as reprogramming keys to #1 & #2 free of charge.
They dont offer any warranty at all said car was as is. Traded in a perfectly good Paxton 5.0 for a car with minor issues lol.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

They dont offer any warranty at all said car was as is. Traded in a perfectly good Paxton 5.0 for a car with minor issues lol.
I would guess that none of the problems you have are huge, and are probably easily fixed once you get the problem(s) defined. Hang in here a while and I'm sure they'll get it ironed out in a day or two.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 GS Electronic lock issue

Old 01-14-2019, 11:44 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Still have the issue and actually has gotten worse. took the car out last night the door wouldnt open from the inside using electronic lock, once I got out I closed the door and a few minutes later went to get in and the electronic lock on the outside didnt work. So at this point I'm stumped without tearing the door apart and cluelessly looking at the parts.

Great way to start ownership of my first corvette good job Chevy lol
The first thing to do is get your manual go out to you vette and set all the options like passive door locking and unlocking...Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Garrett Brooks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
The first thing to do is get your manual go out to you vette and set all the options like passive door locking and unlocking...Good Luck.
I will try this but I assume the previous owner did already.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I will try this but I assume the previous owner did already.

Thanks!
Well Garrett....The other owner might of set them to his liking??

Quick Reply: 2011 GS Electronic lock issue