C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do kids still love seeing corvettes?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 AM
Spaceme1117
CF Senior Member

Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts

Yes, kids love Corvettes. (Not the 20 to 30 year-old entitled “kids” of today)

Last year at Christmas, I let my brother take his 14-yr old son (my nephew) for a drive in my 02 Z06 and he was blown away.

This year he just sat in and started the engine of my new-to-me 2011 Grand Sport. He loved it. He had just gotten his Learners Permit and I offered him to learn to drive a manual in my Corvette with his Dad’s permission and guidance. He didn’t want to as he was quite intimidated by the prospect.

Got to admit, I am still somewhat intimidated by the car.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:00 AM
SlothX311
CF Senior Member

Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Yes, kids love Corvettes. (Not the 20 to 30 year-old entitled “kids” of today)
Don't speak for all of us. I love my C6
Old 01-03-2019, 09:06 AM
SlothX311
CF Senior Member

I think kids do still enjoy seeing an American sports car and have respect for it. Not too long ago I was driving the car and came up to a stoplight in the center of our town. A group of teenage boys over on the sidewalk gave the thumbs up and were yelling for me to rev it. Seeing a younger generation have an appreciation for (combustion engine) cars is a promising thing! Let's not give up on the next wave of technokids just yet.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Spaceme1117
CF Senior Member

Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311 View Post
Don't speak for all of us. I love my C6
Didn’t mean all 20 - 30 year olds. Just the entitled, millienial crowd. You know, the sort of people you would see in one of those cringe-inducing Chevy “real people” commercials.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:12 AM
449er
CF Senior Member

Liked 285 Times in 245 Posts

At our local car cruises, we have a fellow Corvette owner who buys toy Corvettes off of Ebay & hands them out to the kids when they come over to look at his car...It's great looking at their faces when he hands them a toy Corvette! Save the wave
Old 01-03-2019, 09:21 AM
BlindSpot
CF Senior Member

Liked 467 Times in 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post

Didn’t mean all 20 - 30 year olds. Just the entitled, millienial crowd. You know, the sort of people you would see in one of those cringe-inducing Chevy “real people” commercials.
On a tangent here, but those Chevy commercials are the absolute dumbest commercials ever done. Makes me cringe to see such low gene pool people in action. "DUH...hey.....those are our cars".

Only thing worse is all the nauseating pharma commercials. Nothing is worse (even the Chevy commercial) than hearing - "could cause diarrhea, vomiting, depression, thoughts of suicide, frequent unexpected bowel movements, headaches and chest pains".....during dinner.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 01-03-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:24 AM
SlothX311
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 449er View Post
Save the wave
Some of the younger guys (and gals) don't even wave back! If you're driving a Vette, I thought it was a rule!? It's in the owner's manual!

Last edited by SlothX311; 01-03-2019 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post: SlothX311
449er (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Liked 775 Times in 636 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311 View Post
I think kids do still enjoy seeing an American sports car and have respect for it. Not too long ago I was driving the car and came up to a stoplight in the center of our town. A group of teenage boys over on the sidewalk gave the thumbs up and were yelling for me to rev it. Seeing a younger generation have an appreciation for (combustion engine) cars is a promising thing! Let's not give up on the next wave of technokids just yet.
I agree that's a good thing, but unfortunately the EPA tyrants in Washington will outlaw IC engines -- despite common sense or what consumers may prefer. It's another reason I'm glad I'm old.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Jstan2014
CF Senior Member

Liked 253 Times in 220 Posts

I’ll try to be brief. Some kids do, some kids don’t. As mentioned above some couldn’t care less about getting a drivers license much less owning a car. We had to PUSH our eldest to get his permit. Imagine that?

The OP wanted good stories about our Corvettes. I just finished about 10 weeks of P.T. On day one the “kid” (young man in his early twenties, I’d guess) working with me, asked if that was my Grand Sport parked out front. I was blown away that he recognized a 2012 Corvette and more impressed that he knew what type of Corvette it was.
That question led to 10 weeks of “car talk” and Corvette talk between excerises. It made the time go by faster and easier.

And yes, on occasion I too see the youngsters in the back seat of their mom’s SUV gazing my direction checking out the Corvette. I can’t help but think one day they’ll carry on the tradition. Great thread, BigEC6.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:40 AM
oldcanuck

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

When I got my Vette I went to my oldest grandson's house as it was his 11th birthday. When I got there I phoned my daughter and asked if he could meet me outside. He ran out the front door towards me screaming, "holy crap Grandpa got a Corvette!!"
Priceless.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:47 PM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

Liked 224 Times in 184 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Do kids still love seeing corvettes?
I'd say yea, around here anyway. The main street through town gets a lot of foot traffic from the 3 local schools and I often see kids who are all-sorts of excited when I drive mine by. I'll occasionally drop a gear or two and make a little noise, and I double clutch and rev-match all downshifts so the sound of that w/ls7 and exhaust open gets a lot of attention too, even when just driving normal city speeds. I get the "light em up" signal all the time, and I'll occasionally snap the throttle 1/4 second or so which will just light the tires right up. They just love that.

I was outside at work here one day and a couple kids went up the sidewalk on scooters. Saw my car and asked about it, they were probably 7 or 8. I let them sit in mine. I'm not sure they'd have been happier if I'd handed em each a 20.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 01-03-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 PM
TxLefty
CF Senior Member

Liked 60 Times in 51 Posts

In my experience they do.

Was visiting a friend and when we came out to run an errand a little girl (6 maybe) was walking repeatedly around the car. Her dad was watching and said she loved the car. I asked if she'd like to sit in it and she did and obviously loved the experience.

A 12 year old boy was having a birthday party at the Texas Mile and I'd been the car at the starting line when lunch break was called. His mom had a videographer recording the party. They took some footage in front of the car with starting line banners, etc. I asked his mom if she thought he'd like to have some footage with him in the car, she said "yes" and he got the opportunity. He was obviously pumped up about it.

Both kids were excited about the car. My grandchildren love riding in it. So far, so good.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Jimmy W1
CF Senior Member

Liked 37 Times in 34 Posts

Not from what I've seen. Most of 'em like those little Asian cars with oversized mufflers that sound like a bumble bee.

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 01-03-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Triple88a
CF Senior Member

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
That was then. Now is kids saying "That motherf##ing a**hole doesn't deserve to have a car like that. It's not fair! I am entitled to have what he has and the government should give it to me."
My experience with younger kids has been overall positive.. thumbs up nice car type of deal. My negative experience has been with more middle age people asking how I have a vette and how I should be grateful for having rich parents in that demeaning lecturing voice... I'm 30 years old... father passed away almost 5 years ago with 500 bucks in his account that didnt even have enough to cover his credit cards much less the funeral and my mother works a average wage job.. They get rather offended when you tell them to get an education and learn to save.
The following users liked this post: Triple88a
BlackMamba89 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:02 PM
ErrrrCar205
CF Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I know at least two kids that do. My daughter's 18 months old now and has started pointing at my car ('96 coupe) with a big smile and saying "yah!" every time we take her out of her car seat next to it (which is, like, daily). One day when my wife and I came home separately I went out to the garage to greet them, and my wife had set my daughter down next to it for a closer look - and she was petting it gently on the quarter panel! I covered the 'vette up a few weeks ago and now she looks over, seems disappointed, and says something more like "...dah?" Where'd the car go, dad?

A few weeks after I bought the car this fall I was driving home at an out-of-the-ordinary time, 8:30 or 9:00 AM (I'd taken her to a transmission shop for a diagnosis before work). Near the end of our street there was a kid waiting with his mom, I guess for some kind of school pickup or something. He was maybe 7 or 8 years old. When he turned and saw my car his arm shot out and pointed right at me and I think his jaw about hit the driveway. I could almost hear him saying whoooooooaaa. Gave him a big wave as I cruised by and was laughing my butt off because I was pretty sure I'd just seen what I looked like when I was his age....made my whole day. Definitely my favorite Corvette experience so far.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:51 PM
iw172
CF Senior Member

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Liked 60 Times in 52 Posts

my Grandson from a few yrs back. now that he’s older, even more...
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 PM
449er
CF Senior Member

Liked 285 Times in 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1 View Post
Not from what I've seen. Most of 'em like those little Asian cars with oversized mufflers that sound like a bumble bee.

They would be called rice & "fart cans" Lol
Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 PM
huntfarm
CF Member

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Kids and Corvettes

Our most recent experience was on a mystery cruise in West Central Indiana. As our line of Corvettes passed an Amish farm, four young boys, in their black and white clothes, stood along the road, waving! Cool! You can't make this stuff up.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:03 PM
BigEC6
CF Member

Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er View Post
At our local car cruises, we have a fellow Corvette owner who buys toy Corvettes off of Ebay & hands them out to the kids when they come over to look at his car...It's great looking at their faces when he hands them a toy Corvette! Save the wave
That's a great idea!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:07 PM
BigEC6
CF Member

Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstan2014 View Post
I’ll try to be brief. Some kids do, some kids don’t. As mentioned above some couldn’t care less about getting a drivers license much less owning a car. We had to PUSH our eldest to get his permit. Imagine that?

The OP wanted good stories about our Corvettes. I just finished about 10 weeks of P.T. On day one the “kid” (young man in his early twenties, I’d guess) working with me, asked if that was my Grand Sport parked out front. I was blown away that he recognized a 2012 Corvette and more impressed that he knew what type of Corvette it was.
That question led to 10 weeks of “car talk” and Corvette talk between excerises. It made the time go by faster and easier.

And yes, on occasion I too see the youngsters in the back seat of their mom’s SUV gazing my direction checking out the Corvette. I can’t help but think one day they’ll carry on the tradition. Great thread, BigEC6.
Thanks for the story. Maybe there is still hope yet!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do kids still love seeing corvettes?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: