C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating/Anodizing Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM
Megatronss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating/Anodizing Exhaust

I’m going to powdercoat my stock z rims (currently chrome) gold, and want my exhaust to match....I’ve seen conflicting info on needing to anodize or powdercoat....would assume powdercoating would need to be high temp powder.

Anyone know of someone that has matched exhaust and wheels? Curious for the best route. Not sure how many high temp options there are other than black or maybe grey...or if I can anodize the wheels to just match the stainless for the exhaust.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Megatronss

Any thoughts?
GOLD.... really? Have YOU thought this out? I’ve seen my share of gold rims and it was one tooooo many. And who will benefit having gold exhaust. MY thoughts.... do something else with the money burning a hole in your pocket.
The following users liked this post:
Andysherman (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Megatronss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your opinion on something I didn’t ask for. Do whatever you want with your car, this one is mine. If it doesn’t look good I’ll change it. Or maybe I should just do what you think looks good!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:12 PM
kevinjm
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Any reason you have to have this powder coated? Is it to match the finish on your wheels?

I painted my exhaust black using engine enamel paint (
see amazon link see amazon link
), which is high temp paint. It's inexpensive and pretty easy to do.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:21 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Thanks for your opinion on something I didn’t ask for. Do whatever you want with your car, this one is mine. If it doesn’t look good I’ll change it. Or maybe I should just do what you think looks good!
Well said. Your car and your money do as you please. I am thinking of doing my rims only I don't want them black, so I am going to try the DipYourCar wheel kit in either the Hyper Graphic or the Graphic Metallizer. Good luck with your project. The exhaust is the part that will be an issue. You will most likely have to cut the tips off and have them rewelded. Nor sure how that will effect the powder coating. I would look into getting a rattler can og hi-temp gold for the exhaust. Check out YouTube.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Daddy Freeman
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I’m going to powdercoat my stock z rims (currently chrome) gold, and want my exhaust to match....I’ve seen conflicting info on needing to anodize or powdercoat....would assume powdercoating would need to be high temp powder.

Anyone know of someone that has matched exhaust and wheels? Curious for the best route. Not sure how many high temp options there are other than black or maybe grey...or if I can anodize the wheels to just match the stainless for the exhaust.

Any thoughts?
I would google search local powder coaters and get their opinion. I believe there is a good chance that it can happen.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:13 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Old 01-04-2019, 01:46 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

OP it’s your car your vision. This is a friends car and man the gold works here.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:55 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

For now I plastidipped mine. It’s been 5 months and looks great.
I really need to figure out if I’m gonna powder coat my tips too Lolol.
This thread will help.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette

GOLD.... really? Have YOU thought this out? I’ve seen my share of gold rims and it was one tooooo many. And who will benefit having gold exhaust. MY thoughts.... do something else with the money burning a hole in your pocket.
Ok, ignore the color and look at the question. Can you help the guy or not?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:19 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ptroxx
For now I plastidipped mine. It’s been 5 months and looks great.
I really need to figure out if I’m gonna powder coat my tips too Lolol.
This thread will help.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but are you referring to already plastidipping your wheels?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Any thoughts?
You asked for any thoughts and you got them. Just because you didn't get an answer you liked doesn't mean that wasn't exactly what you asked for.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:49 PM
jbripps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever you use for the mufflers, make sure it's hi-temp....I had my mufflers painted black on another car, and apparently the paint was not very hi-temp. They smelled for about 6 weeks when driving, and even smoked a bit, until the paint eventually was gone. So, HI-TEMP for sure! Have fun.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:01 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

The tips are SS and should powdercoat with normal PC process.

You don't need hi-temp anything on the tips. They don't get that hot. One poster here (and I know of at least two others) plasti-dipped the tips. If plasti-dip holds under the small amount of heat, then anything else will hold up too commensurate with the appropriate prep.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 01-04-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:03 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Any thoughts?
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
You asked for any thoughts and you got them. Just because you didn't get an answer you liked doesn't mean that wasn't exactly what you asked for.
He is not asking for thoughts on the color. He is asking if anyone has any thoughts on the best route to accomplish what he is trying to do, powder coat or anodize
Old 01-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BWF07
He is not asking for thoughts on the color. He is asking if anyone has any thoughts on the best route to accomplish what he is trying to do, powder coat or anodize
No. He asked for "any thoughts" he did not limit it to colors, or products, or methods. If someone came in and gave an opinion of hydrodipping it would have been deemed "acceptable" even if it was wrong for the exhaust choice. Or even if someone said it can't be done.

People need to be more discerning with their words. Adults should be ready for answers to questions they asked, even if it's not what they want to hear.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:11 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Girls, girls.....please....focus!

Get notified of new replies

To Powdercoating/Anodizing Exhaust

Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Here you go, my buddy Glen accomplished exactly what you asked by using real gold plating. I will leave my personal opinions out of it since you didn't ask for plating as an option. Does this follow what you consider an acceptable thought?

https://www.stancenation.com/2014/02...g-honda-s2000/
Old 01-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

If you are talking about coloring just the stainless tips, I would suggest a semi transparent powdercoat instead of trying to anodize stainless. The tips won't get hot enough to damage the powdercoat. Yes, anodizing stainless can be done, but the results are rather fragile, the colors fade quickly, and there are only a handful of shops that can do it properly.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,714 Likes on 2,999 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You can get your exhaust ceramic coated with many colors, Jet Hot offers many different options & other coaters do too

Quick Reply: Powdercoating/Anodizing Exhaust