C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating/Anodizing Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Megatronss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
Here you go, my buddy Glen accomplished exactly what you asked by using real gold plating. I will leave my personal opinions out of it since you didn't ask for plating as an option. Does this follow what you consider an acceptable thought?

https://www.stancenation.com/2014/02...g-honda-s2000/
I hadn’t considered gold plating, that is an interesting idea.....thanks. You just couldn’t resist the last comment though could you , giving an alternative idea is a lot different than trying to bash the taste in style. But I do appreciate the suggestion, might look into that!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Megatronss
Advanced

A lot of helpful suggestions, thanks! It would just be the tips, and yes I am trying to match the same color gold on the wheels.

Hadn’t considered a colored ceramic coating as well, definitely interesting. The car is coated in 6 layers of Ceramic Pro but I didn’t know they had colors. Interesting!

Will talk to some powdercoaters as well, I don’t think I was specific enough about the ‘exhaust’ just being the tips with the one I talked to.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Megatronss
Advanced

Originally Posted by ptroxx
OP it’s your car your vision. This is a friends car and man the gold works here.

I think that looks awesome. I’m thinking a little
bit lighter gold but that does look sweet. Thinking candy red calipers behind them also afterwards.

I’m just trying to avoid making the car looks the same as a lot of others. Black on black, black on chrome. It looks great but I am just looking for something different. Here’s the car as it is now

Old 01-05-2019, 04:17 AM
TucoTom
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

That's a pretty corvette as it sits......
Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 AM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

FYI powdercoating can be done on any type of metal, however anodizing is for aluminum only.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRCLONE
FYI powdercoating can be done on any type of metal, however anodizing is for aluminum only.
Nope, you can anodize nearly every metal it just works best on Aluminum.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 PM
ZRCLONE
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
Nope, you can anodize nearly every metal it just works best on Aluminum.
Not to get into a pissing contest here but anodized aluminum parts are not the same as anodizing any other material.
Show me a stainless steel part anodized the same as an aluminum part and I stand corrected!
Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 PM
ProCycle
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts

+1
I've seen aluminum and titanium anodized. Never stainless. I can't imagine how the chemistry would work in trying to anodize stainless steel.
There are various types of acid dipping that could impart a gold-ish color to stainless parts but they would not match the wheels.
Last I checked high temperature powder coating had very limited color choices. To really get the wheels and exhaust tips matched the wheels would probably have to have the same high temp powder. That would not only be very expensive but the process would likely harm the heat treatment of the wheels leaving them soft. I agree that gold plating the exhaust tips is probably the best option.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:44 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

I don't mind this.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:58 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Megatronss
Hadn’t considered a colored ceramic coating as well, definitely interesting. The car is coated in 6 layers of Ceramic Pro but I didn’t know they had colors. Interesting!
NOT the same product AT ALL.

Cerakote is used a lot in the gun industry. Almost any color you can imagine too.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating/Anodizing Exhaust