C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm jumping in

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default I think I'm jumping in

I've been stalking this board for a while asking questions about pretty much everything C6 related. I've received some really good advice, and some that was a little opinionated. It's all been fun. I have a deal made on a 2013 black on black 2LT. It wasn't my first color choice because of the difficulty of keeping it clean, but I'm also good with the way it looks when it IS clean. I have done all of the negotiation online, and if it doesn't sell before I get there Saturday, I will check it out and probably buy a Vette. I'm kind of getting excited about it. I had a buddy that lives in the area give me his opinion after a test drive, and he likes it. I had my first Vette in high school, and worked my butt off to make payments. It was blue, and I kind of wanted the Jetstream Blue Metallic just to be nostalgic. I've probably tried to close 10 deals, but none worked out to my satisfaction, or they sold because I was being too stubborn. This may work. Black will work! I hope it checks out.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:47 PM
stevesvette
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Good luck, keep us posted, and post pics!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

This is just my opinion and nothing more. Get what you want because you will regret it down the road.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with RichKiss... if JSB is what you really want, believe me, you'll find it if you keep looking, although "settling" on a nice 2LT that's black isn't really a bad thing... black is a bitch to keep clean & shiny, which as most of do, like them to be ALL of the time! Good luck whichever route you take, and by all means post pics!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:18 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good luck in your search & don't be scared of a black car, I have one & wouldn't want any other color, once you go black, you never go back
Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I agree with the others. Buy the car you want, even if it means expanding your area or price range.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Trust me, I've expanded my area to anything within about a ten hour drive. Black on Black looks bad ***, I think, and I don't mind keeping it looking good. When I look at some of the blacks on here, I drool. My first choice was a Centennial GS, but the low mileage car I was looking for was above what I could pay off before retirement or pulling some small investments, which was my ultimate goal. I'm only doing a 24 month note on this. Black was not my first choice, but it certainly is not because it doesn't look sweet! My only regret may be getting rid of a sweet Camaro 2SS that I love and has only been owned by me. Can't afford to have both!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Understood... I had to sell my two-year old Polaris Ranger in order to swing buying my Z51. But the only thing you'll probably miss from the SS is a back seat... it's a WHOLE different experience!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:28 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Black is definitely harder to take care of but when its done right looks amazing. I'm pretty sure all my neighbors think I'm crazy or something because I do spend a lot of time wiping it down....
Old 01-09-2019, 04:33 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

I spent 5 months looking and ended up driving 4 hours away to get my C6 Z. Im glad I waited because the one closer one turned out to be beat to **** and was basically falling apart. I agree with the others and you should wait till you find the car you want, plus the ride back is way better.

Last edited by EviLS7; 01-09-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:51 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelstin
Trust me, I've expanded my area to anything within about a ten hour drive. Black on Black looks bad ***, I think, and I don't mind keeping it looking good. When I look at some of the blacks on here, I drool. My first choice was a Centennial GS, but the low mileage car I was looking for was above what I could pay off before retirement or pulling some small investments, which was my ultimate goal. I'm only doing a 24 month note on this. Black was not my first choice, but it certainly is not because it doesn't look sweet! My only regret may be getting rid of a sweet Camaro 2SS that I love and has only been owned by me. Can't afford to have both!
I also didnt want to spend the money for a Centennial GS. I bought a cyber gray z51 car. Still wanted the centennial gs. Ended up trading for a black gs. Still wanted the centennial gs. Traded that car, then two cars later I finally got the centennial gs. Point being, if I had just bought the car I wanted in the first place, I would have saved a LOT of money. I liked the other cars, but was never really fully happy with them. This car fully satisfies my corvette desire.

Point is, just get the car you want, and bite the bullet the first time. If you dont it just costs you more in the long run.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Looked for 6 months for my car and originally didn’t want black but when I saw my base Centennial it was all over. Where do I sign ?
Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Tooth Doctor
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts

Good luck! Hope you can make a deal you're happy with!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelstin
The dilemma of color choices on a used car, FWIW:

When I was looking for a C6, I really only wanted black or blue, with black interior. I did NOT want a bright red Vette, as they are everywhere.

I test drove an '09 Crystal Red Metallic/black interior at a nearby dealer, slept on it a couple of days, called back but it was gone. The color was okay, but as time went on it did grow on me. So a few weeks later I saw a Monterey Red '07 (basically the same as CRM) at a local dealer with a cashmere interior which I did NOT want. But I went to look at it anyway, took it for a ride and bought it.

I was still not really sold on the exterior and VERY dubious of a white interior. But I had been Vette hunting for months and was really getting tired of it. After owning the car for a few weeks I was liking it more and more. And the white interior just gives me more incentive to keep it clean than black would.

And now, almost five years later, no regrets -- if I was to do it over again this color combo would be my first choice.

What's not to like?

Attachment 48346819

Attachment 48348620
Old 01-09-2019, 07:43 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think that you should hold out and get the exact car that you want.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 PM
2nd chance
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Keep looking

Top goes down an price goes up an when top goes up price goes down ! So don't settle, you want what you want an when you find it you know it !
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Some inspiration for you. Black isn't to bad if it's an occasional driver. If a daily driver I'd find another color . Good luck and keep us posted.

Get notified of new replies

To I think I'm jumping in

Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Jump in! You won’t regret it!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 AM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
The dilemma of color choices on a used car, FWIW:

When I was looking for a C6, I really only wanted black or blue, with black interior. I did NOT want a bright red Vette, as they are everywhere.

I test drove an '09 Crystal Red Metallic/black interior at a nearby dealer, slept on it a couple of days, called back but it was gone. The color was okay, but as time went on it did grow on me. So a few weeks later I saw a Monterey Red '07 (basically the same as CRM) at a local dealer with a cashmere interior which I did NOT want. But I went to look at it anyway, took it for a ride and bought it.

I was still not really sold on the exterior and VERY dubious of a white interior. But I had been Vette hunting for months and was really getting tired of it. After owning the car for a few weeks I was liking it more and more. And the white interior just gives me more incentive to keep it clean than black would.

And now, almost five years later, no regrets -- if I was to do it over again this color combo would be my first choice.

What's not to like?

Great write up.
Me and mine are just like you. Mine is '09 crystal red.
I was originally looking for blue or yellow.
"Settled" for the red and so glad I did.
Sometimes second choice works out.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

That color combo looks great!

Quick Reply: I think I'm jumping in