C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there or has anyone heard of a tinted paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 PM
retcav1sg
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Is there or has anyone heard of a tinted paint

protection product? I'm looking for something like XPEL/3M/Cleartastic that is tinted. I contacted the folks at Cleartastic and they only have clear products. My recent GS purchase is black and had no paint protection on all of the typical rash areas. I'm looking to put some protection on the areas but a clear product would still show the rash where a tinted product would cover them up. This would probably only work on a black car but I think it would work. I've considered using vinyl but am not sure what type of protection it would provide. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Yeah, it's called candy. Anything candy is a pearlescent or metalflake undercoat and a tinted transparent top coat. The classic color for candy you always hear is "candy apple red". Try House of Kolor.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 PM
retcav1sg
Racer

Thanks sstone...It appears all of their products are spray on, I'm looking for a paint protection film. I've been able to buff the areas with rash to the point of almost being smooth but the rash look is still present. I'm thinking the tinted film would serve the dual purpose of hiding the rash and protecting the area. Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

You are seeking a quick half *** way of repairing something that should possibly be repainted. A painter can tint primers but usually never a clear since you want the clear to be as "clear" as possible to allow light to reflect off the base color. Cheap clears have almost a yellow tint where a high end clear will be crystal clear. If repainting is not in the budget a wrap may just do the trick.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 PM
retcav1sg
Racer

CockRoach...Any shop I take it to will just about want to paint most of both sides of the car to make sure everything "blends" as it should. The rash is small, comparatively speaking, and is in the exact area where many, including me on previous cars, would put the PPF. The vinyl wrap material may be a solution. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Not sure about the tinted PPF, but I was told by my PPF installer that vinyl wraps offer very little paint protection as far as rock chips or other impact damage. I know this is coming from someone who sells PPF, but he had a fully wrapped Jeep SRT8 and put PPF on top of all the leading edges to protect his wrap and paint.

I too would be concerned about losing paint clarity with a tinted PPF. Even clear PPF does not shine as well as nicely polished paint.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:06 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Well, if you're just wanting to fix the rash, try Dr. Color Chip. It's a gel type of touchup paint that works great filling in the stone chips on my wife's audi (which is black).
Old 01-10-2019, 03:29 PM
A1958R
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my black GS I had 2 coats of ceramic done & it protects it okay. I am planning on doing XPel in their Matte look. I’m choosing the matte look because the clear never ‘pops’ as much as the stock paint with a good wax on it, the matte look removes that with a flat sort of look to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there or has anyone heard of a tinted paint

Quick Reply: Is there or has anyone heard of a tinted paint