C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Trans Am or 2012 C6 Grand Sport Corvette

Old 01-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

If it’s one or the other, my vote is for the Grand Sport. I’ve been lucky enough to keep the old and get the “newer” as well. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I had a 77 T/A that i bought new. sold it, then got a C6. No comparison. Old Technology vs New technology.
Since we wanted to do lot's of road trips, the C6 was the choice for sure. it was time to pass the T/A along to someone who wanted it more for show than to drive on trips.
So far, the C6 has logged almost 80K miles of road trips.

I did look at the newer style T/A that is custom made to look like the old 77/78 styling. Those are more collector type cars than to use for road trips.

I know what I would do in a heartbeat, but it is your decision.
good luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-11-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:10 PM
TecCrash
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelstin
I think it would be pretty special to have the corvette that was your Dads. Just sayin'. I think it's an easy decision.
I agree! That would make the decision much easier for me... although as has been said, If you have room, keep em both...
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jmadoll
I know this is a choice I will have to make but I have known a few of you over the years from this forum and other forums so your opinions mean a lot.
I have pretty much always had a Camaro or Firebird at some point in my life. I currently love my 95 Trans Am but haven't been able to drive it because it wouldn't pass emissions test and haven't had time to take it to have it checked as to why. My husband and I have put a lot of labor under the hood together. It needs a paint job but I always get compliments on it. It has 180,000 miles on it. I am considering selling my car and getting my Dad's Corvette he had. We both loved cars and spent time together on them. My sister always joked how I was the car - daughter when it came to my Dad wanting to talk about cars. My Dad's car only has 7800 miles on it and its in pristine condition. Its a great opportunity as far as what I would be able to buy the car for. I'm just having a tough time making the decision as to do I get my Dad's car which is newer and doesn't have any problems or do we sell the car and I can take some of that money and put it into the Trans Am. I could keep both but I'm trying to be practical.

Thanks your reading and giving your opinions

Jules

I had a '94 z/28 with 160k miles on it. I sold it for $4k after I purchased a base '08 with 47k miles for $22.5k three years ago.

Well worth it. The LT-1 was leaking oil, so I knew sooner or later I was going to have to put some work in it. I loved the Camaro, bought it new but I love the 'vette more. Great daily driver. I considered resto-modding the Camaro, in the end I just didn't want a project.

Good luck. Lots of C6 cream puffs for $20k. My guess there are more pampered used 'vettes than any other car.

Last edited by LowRyter; 01-11-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think we are biased here, no doubt pick the Corvette
Old 01-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

It amazes me how someone will come into a CORVETTE forum and ask what car compared to a Corvette they should buy? How many times does the Corvette forum recommend getting the other car?? I am gonna guess never!
Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a 93 Firebird and a 2010 Grand Sport......I’m gonna agree with everyone else in saying, GO WITH THE VETTE!!! The LS engines are sooooooo much better in several different ways. The optispark distributors in the old LTs are nothing but junk, expensive to replace and a real PITA to replace if you do it yourself. Ive got about $3500 worth of aftermarket suspension on the Firebird and it still cant match the ride and handling of the GS....Going from an Fbody to a Vette is a night and day difference. Plus believe it or not, its actually easier to get in and out of the Vette.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 PM
jmadoll
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!!

I decided to keep my Dad's car and sell my Trans Am. I feel really good about the decision. I am sorry if I offended anyone by asking on a Corvette site your opinions. I know you all like Corvettes but I also needed to get opinions from people who own them since I never have. I have also helped change the Optispark twice on the T/A and done my own tune up wires/plugs. I know the T/A is not comparable to the Corvette but I still love them.

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Originally Posted by jmadoll
I decided to keep my Dad's car and sell my Trans Am. I feel really good about the decision. I am sorry if I offended anyone by asking on a Corvette site your opinions. I know you all like Corvettes but I also needed to get opinions from people who own them since I never have. I have also helped change the Optispark twice on the T/A and done my own tune up wires/plugs. I know the T/A is not comparable to the Corvette but I still love them.

Thanks again!!!
You sound attached to the T/A. With as mich time and work as youve done on it, thats fair.

Real talk, it isnt worth much. Why not keep both? I have a 92 corvette i use when i dont want to drive my c6 due to crappy weather, etc. I think its a great perk of having a backup cool car that is paid for, and you can drive without caring too much zbout.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

They both have the cool factor but the Vette is far and away is in a league of its own.
The following users liked this post:
jimijam (01-11-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 Trans Am or 2012 C6 Grand Sport Corvette