C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires for spring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

I recommend the Continental Extreme Contact Sports, Michelin Pilot Super Sports (or whatever is the current equivalent). Toyo Proxes T1 Sport are also excellent.

As far as run-flats, I would not go out of my way to get run-flat tires. What you can do is make a tire repair kit to carry with you in your rear compartment. Get a tire plug kit, some extra rubber glue, a set of small and large needle nose pliers, a set of small and large vice grips, and a cigarette lighter tire inflator (and an extension for it so you can reach all 4 tires). A small fishing tackle box is good to put all of the tools in to make things compact. You can then repair and nail or small punctures and get your car going again. Any major cuts or shredding of the tire, the kit won't help you but run-flats won't either.

I learned this idea from my brother. He is an car insurance claims appraiser and in his company truck, he was always going to salvage yards. He would regularly get screws and nails in his tires. He created a repair kit and it always got him going. When he needed to get a new set of tires, when the old once came off, he usually had about 10 to 15 plugs in each tire. But he never had a failure of any of the repairs.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Buy the Michelins, you get what you pay for
The following users liked this post:
Jay VT (01-20-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SlothX311
Yeah I don't think people realize how much of an impact tires make on a car, especially a sports car. I still don't understand why the Corvette comes with factory run-flats. They're garbage.

Michelin run flat tires are far from "garbage" my friend, you need to do a little research before you post
The following users liked this post:
Steel City (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Michelin run flat tires are far from "garbage" my friend, you need to do a little research before you post
I would not call them garbage, but they fall short in terms of ride quality, noise etc. I would never use run flats nor recommend them. I agree that the Michelin’s are the superior tire as I run them also on my daily driver, but for me the small gain in performance vs the price over the Continental’s was just not worth it for my hobby car. If I had unlimited funds, then yes I would have bought the Michelin’s. Also, I don’t worry about flats either as I carry a repair kit and my insurance plan covers a tow if needed.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM
rjken1969
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you go to the Porsche site and review the approved tires for the high dollar high performance vehicles, IE Carrara GT, and the 918 Spyder, there is one approved tire: Michelin Pilot Super Sport. For the 911 GT2 RS they list Michelin PSSS, Bridgesone Potenza, and Pirelli P Zero. I haven't checked availability in the standard GS sizes but these may be worth looking into. Tires are like anything else, you get what you pay for. What is the primary use of the car? Driving in parades and standing around at car shows, or track days? It all plays into the decision.

Last edited by rjken1969; 01-17-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Depends what you want out of a tire. If you're okay with your sports car running a compromised version of what a proper sports car tire could be. I guess they're okay. For me...increased road noise, less threshold grip, less lateral G capability, and stiffer ride are not worth the "convenience" of running a few miles on a flat. I'll stick to proper sports car tires and in the rare occurrence of a flat, pull over and pay for a tow like a reasonably prepared adult.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rjken1969
If you go to the Porsche site and review the approved tires for the high dollar high performance vehicles, IE Carrara GT, and the 918 Spyder,there is one approved tire: Michelin Pilot Super Sport. For the 911 GT2 RS they list Michelin PSSS, Bridgesone Potenza, and Pirelli P Zero. I haven't checked availability in the standard GS sizes but these may be worth looking into. Tires are like anything else, you get what you pay for. What is the primary use of the car? Driving in parades and standing around at car shows, or track days? It all plays into the decision.
100% agree. I'm not trying to say that the Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S is a "one size fits all" tire. Simply saying, if you want a dual purpose road/sports car tire with very little compromises in either arena, it's the best tire to be had.

If you only putz around in your sports car, buy whatever you want I suppose.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:49 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I find that whatever tire I decide on I can just go over to Discount Tire and they'll always either beat or match the price. I currently have Michelin Super Sports on mine.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:03 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417
I'll probably get flamed for this, but some decent reviews on these from people that used them on C6 vettes - although......one bad review .

Cooper Zeon RS3-S Summer Performance Tires 325/30R19 - $166 each on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-RS3-S-.../dp/B00MXNYL5M
Those were on my car when I bought it nearly 3 years ago and I was expecting to hate them. They are actually pretty good and certainly a good value. The only complaint I've heard about them is low traction until they get warmed up (summer) and of course, no traction in the winter but that's to be expected. I've driven them in heavy rain with excellent stability, no hydroplaning. They are reasonably quiet, pretty good about not following grooves and cracks. Mine are wearing evenly. And of course the most important factor, I've seen 1.11 G on the HUD g-meter on the street. I do think mine are getting worse about not hooking up until they are fully warmed up, probably getting a bit harder as they age. I'll be putting new tires on in the spring and will probably go Continental or Michelin just because I always want the best performance, not the best price.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:24 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Those were on my car when I bought it nearly 3 years ago and I was expecting to hate them. They are actually pretty good and certainly a good value. The only complaint I've heard about them is low traction until they get warmed up (summer) and of course, no traction in the winter but that's to be expected. I've driven them in heavy rain with excellent stability, no hydroplaning. They are reasonably quiet, pretty good about not following grooves and cracks. Mine are wearing evenly. And of course the most important factor, I've seen 1.11 G on the HUD g-meter on the street. I do think mine are getting worse about not hooking up until they are fully warmed up, probably getting a bit harder as they age. I'll be putting new tires on in the spring and will probably go Continental or Michelin just because I always want the best performance, not the best price.
My experience too. Until I understood they need to warm up, had some pretty wild spin outs with little effort.

Quick Reply: New tires for spring?