C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle charger thru cig lighter

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Trickle charger thru cig lighter

I've never had a draining battery issue because my climate is normally ok even thru the winter where I at least drive it once a week, but After 4 years of owning my car I finally had a few weeks of rain followed by a couple weeks out of the country... And magically the sun came out and I was ready to pop the top in January.... Dead Battery!...(yes my current batty is fairly new about 1-1/2 y. o.) .

So it is time to invest in a trickle/maintainer.... seems like the Ctek brand is all over the inner neck, and I haven't read any bad reviews... Thoughts? And which model should I choose? Or what is a better Brand/model without braking the bank.....I know it's prob not the most efficient way to get the juice to the battery, but wanted some real world feedback.... on whether using a Cig adapter had any actual side effects with these cars...
I'm not a fan of having to unhook under hood, so I thought the Cig adapter option might be a solution.... And I don't want to get in to some wiring deal thru the grill like I've seen in the past....

Also, this battery is dead.... I'm guessing the safest way back to full life is a real battery charger,......
But if I just jump it off... How long of normal diving or idling would be adequate to get it strong enough to start a trickle charger(i'm assuming trickle charges aren't meant charge a battery from dead)

And yes I tried using the search feature with marginal results..... Hehe....

Thanks guys....
Old 01-11-2019, 02:44 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,793 Likes on 4,231 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I have the CTEK 3300 and it's worked great for over a year. My GS has the battery in the back so I use the little ring attachments that I leave on the battery terminals & just plug it in through the hatch. The hatch closes fine on the cable & I've had no issues. The battery in my wife's '16 Wrangler Unlimited just completely died in the driveway a couple days ago, I plugged the CTEK in using the lighter adapter and charged it for 2 days & it brought it back to full green on the CTEK.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

Totally agree with Jabcat, have the 3300 and love it. Plug it in right after i park in garage because right when you think you'll drive it in a few days, turns out to be a few weeks. I also wouldn't try to jump start a totally dead battery, at least not in the vette, try and charge it first. Same thing happened to my bran new ac delco battery, they swapped it for free and since then always on the charger! I don't charge thru the cigerette lighter though, quick connect at the battery.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by *Trip*
I've never had a draining battery issue because my climate is normally ok even thru the winter where I at least drive it once a week, but After 4 years of owning my car I finally had a few weeks of rain followed by a couple weeks out of the country... And magically the sun came out and I was ready to pop the top in January.... Dead Battery!...(yes my current batty is fairly new about 1-1/2 y. o.) .

So it is time to invest in a trickle/maintainer.... seems like the Ctek brand is all over the inner neck, and I haven't read any bad reviews... Thoughts? And which model should I choose? Or what is a better Brand/model without braking the bank.....I know it's prob not the most efficient way to get the juice to the battery, but wanted some real world feedback.... on whether using a Cig adapter had any actual side effects with these cars...
I'm not a fan of having to unhook under hood, so I thought the Cig adapter option might be a solution.... And I don't want to get in to some wiring deal thru the grill like I've seen in the past....

Also, this battery is dead.... I'm guessing the safest way back to full life is a real battery charger,......
But if I just jump it off... How long of normal diving or idling would be adequate to get it strong enough to start a trickle charger(i'm assuming trickle charges aren't meant charge a battery from dead)

And yes I tried using the search feature with marginal results..... Hehe....

Thanks guys....
You cannot bring a completely dead battery back to any kind of usable life. If it has been heavily discharged several times, it may not be "dead" but it will be forever weak and no amount of charging will change that. The capacity (amperage) you need for a car will never be there, except maybe momentarily -- as in "R-R-R . . . . click click click."

The magnetic snap-on grill charger thingy is the best thing since intermittent wipers, indoor plumbing, or sliced bread. Nobody believes this except those of us who have them. Ask anybody here if they regret buying one.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts

[QUOTE= The magnetic snap-on grill charger thingy is the best thing since intermittent wipers, indoor plumbing, or sliced bread. Nobody believes this except those of us who have them. Ask anybody here if they regret buying one. [/QUOTE]

I have one. My car came from the factory with it. Yes, good, no regrets having one, but I didn't get to buy it separately. It's very good, but falls just short of sliced bread.....that you cannot easily beat.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 01-11-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
I have one. My car came from the factory with it. Yes, good, no regrets having one, but I didn't get to buy it separately. It's very good, but falls just short of sliced bread.....that you cannot easily beat.
Where are you on outhouses?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:52 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bruze
Where are you on outhouses?
Brick?...or wood?.....
Old 01-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Brick?...or wood?.....
If I say "brick," then of course that will lead to describing and posting pictures of alluring females and we might get banned.

I've seen plenty of wood outhouses, but have never really seen one made of brick. You'd think there would still be a lot of them around, because they supposedly were all very well built.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:42 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

You cannot bring a completely dead battery back to any kind of usable life. If it has been heavily discharged several times, it may not be "dead" but it will be forever weak and no amount of charging will change that. The capacity (amperage) you need for a car will never be there, except maybe momentarily -- as in "R-R-R . . . . click click click."

The magnetic snap-on grill charger thingy is the best thing since intermittent wipers, indoor plumbing, or sliced bread. Nobody believes this except those of us who have them. Ask anybody here if they regret buying one.

the battery is only a little over a year old, so I'm pretty sure the battery isn't ruined from one time.... I've had allot cars in the last 40 years, and had a couple of batteries that need recharging without catastrophic results, so back to the topic...

simple question....Has anyone had any bad side effects from using a Cig lighter adapter?
I don't really want a connection dangling from my grill.... And I'm too lazy to disconnect/connect at the battery every day I drive it... some weeks I drive it 3-4 days...
Any other recommendations on brand/ model?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by *Trip*

the battery is only a little over a year old, so I'm pretty sure the battery isn't ruined from one time.... I've had allot cars in the last 40 years, and had a couple of batteries that need recharging without catastrophic results, so back to the topic...

simple question....Has anyone had any bad side effects from using a Cig lighter adapter?
I don't really want a connection dangling from my grill.... And I'm too lazy to disconnect/connect at the battery every day I drive it... some weeks I drive it 3-4 days...
Any other recommendations on brand/ model?
Ctek (my preference and recommendation) changes their models occasionally. One of their latest and a great fit for Corvette is their MXS 5.0. This same model has circuits for smaller batteries too. 3300 is one of the older models and one the factory rewraps and sells with a Corvette label on it. It works too. I use the 7002 because of some needs with a larger multi-battery system I have in one of my cars. 7002 also has a 12v feed setting. I can connect it to the battery leads and supply 12v feed to the car's systems while I have the main battery disconnected. That is pretty important with one of my cars.

I'll take a shot on the cig lighter (and expect disputes here). I don't like this connection as there is too much resistance in the circuit back to the battery. I say that too because my cars are either running or on a conditioner.....ALL THE TIME. Only exception being when I am out with the car away from home.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:50 PM
keithhogan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine is hooked to the Ctek 3300 with the cig lighter attachment which was my preferred method. No issues and it works great.
The following users liked this post:
Donzo7 (03-02-2021)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by keithhogan
Mine is hooked to the Ctek 3300 with the cig lighter attachment which was my preferred method. No issues and it works great.
Yes, I have same setup and you will like it, no problems and easy to plug in!
Donzo7 (03-02-2021)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

I have a Battery Tender Jr. it was under $25 10 years ago and it’s still working perfectly. It didn’t come with a cigarette lighter plug, but they do sell one.

Last edited by farmington; 01-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have my Deltran Battery Tender connected using the cig lighter socket.

It's always plugged in when the Vette's parked in the garage and I've been using it that way for 10+ years with no issues whatsoever.

CTEK, Deltran and Schumacher are all good brands.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I have Deltrans Battery Tender and have been using the cigarette lighter attachment for years- no problems.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:17 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I store my car from November till March & have always used a battery maintainer plugged into the cigarette lighter....works for me
Old 01-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Powelltc1
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Todds427
Yes, I have same setup and you will like it, no problems and easy to plug in!
Same! I have the ctek 3300 through the cig lighter and it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Trickle charger thru cig lighter

Old 01-12-2019, 04:19 PM
shutout
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had the Ctek 3300 with the cigarette lighter for two years and it work great.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:44 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

They just don't get it. Most will never even look it up to see what you are talking about. Best mod I have done to my car. I use it twice every day.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
They just don't get it. Most will never even look it up to see what you are talking about. Best mod I have done to my car. I use it twice every day.
I like it because if she forgets to un plug it - no damage.

I use a gold plated Banana Plug & socket in the grill - same only cheaper and unplugs if she forgets.
HBsurfer (01-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Trickle charger thru cig lighter