C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New steering wheel - getting controls to work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,795 Likes on 4,232 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default New steering wheel - getting controls to work?

Installed my new steering wheel from RFE Designs & after connecting the battery & firing the car back up, the steering wheel controls for the stereo don’t work. Am I going to have to pull out the head unit & reset the PAC harness?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM
chilangoworrior
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

I changed my steering wheel on my car and I didn't had to reset the PAC. Make sure that the cables for the steering wheel control aren't pinched and are connected
Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by chilangoworrior
I changed my steering wheel on my car and I didn't had to reset the PAC. Make sure that the cables for the steering wheel control aren't pinched and are connected
Thanks. Are there any separate cables/connectors in there besides the pink & grey airbag connectors & the white connector? Everything I disconnected from my OEM wheel was reconnected when I put in the new one.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM
Riveroger
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

First check to see if the buttons light up when the headlights are on. If that works then you need to check for power to the buttons.
The buttons need 5vdc to operate they get power from the SWC interface in your case PAC.

Last edited by Riveroger; 01-15-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by Riveroger
First check to see if the buttons light up when the headlights are on. If that works then you need to check for power to the buttons.
The buttons need 5vdc to operate they get power from the SWC interface in your case PAC.
Thanks for this suggestion. Buttons are not lighting up & I also noticed the mode, page & up/down arrows on my hud switch are also now not lighting up, but the +/- are lit? Also checked - no horn.

Last edited by JABCAT; 01-15-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Riveroger
Instructor

I would guess the problem might be with the wiring in the steering wheel. Those wires are small and look delicate.If you have your old wheel put it back on then you will know.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

I would guess the problem might be with the wiring in the steering wheel. Those wires are small and look delicate.If you have your old wheel put it back on then you will know.
Don't have the old wheel so will have to check the wiring connections. Looking at inside of the wheel, it appears my new wheel was made from an older OEM wheel as the inside of the spokes looks different than my '12 wheel & looks very similar to pics of '07 wheels I've seen when searching this. Would that cause an issue? Are the clocksprings & wires the same over the years?

Last edited by JABCAT; 01-15-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 PM
Riveroger
Instructor

If everything worked before you swapped the wheel then something is wrong with the SWC on the new wheel are the issue. I have never had the switches off of the wheel so cant help there. Look at the white plug that clips to the wheel maybe one of the pin connectors are damaged.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:30 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Figured it out - a wire harness inside the clock spring somehow got damaged when I swapped steering wheels. Will be ordering a new clock spring Thanks for your help.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (01-16-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 04:00 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Installed new clock spring, buttoned it all up and radio controls work. The mode button now lights up on the HUD switch along with the +/- but the page, and up/down arrows are still not lighting up. They work so I'm not going to stress too much about it, but may re-wire the switch at some point. The pre-wired harness I purchased when installing the HUD was pretty short and just barely allowed the harness to clip into place. I may replace the wires with longer ones so it's not such as hassle. Clock spring was pretty easy to replace, just sucks that it was $166 part.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Riveroger
Instructor

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Installed new clock spring, buttoned it all up and radio controls work. The mode button now lights up on the HUD switch along with the +/- but the page, and up/down arrows are still not lighting up. They work so I'm not going to stress too much about it, but may re-wire the switch at some point. The pre-wired harness I purchased when installing the HUD was pretty short and just barely allowed the harness to clip into place. I may replace the wires with longer ones so it's not such as hassle. Clock spring was pretty easy to replace, just sucks that it was $166 part.
Good work, I too though the clock spring was overpriced but now willing to risk a used one. Did you have remove the orange plastic piece on the new clock spring. I had a scraping noise until I removed it. Not sure what it was for.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:29 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Good work, I too though the clock spring was overpriced but now willing to risk a used one. Did you have remove the orange plastic piece on the new clock spring. I had a scraping noise until I removed it. Not sure what it was for.
yeah the orange piece was to prevent the clock spring ribbon from unwinding, needs to be snapped off after the clock spring is in place. It mentioned it in the beginning of the install instructions (which could have been written better btw).
Old 01-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Riveroger
Instructor

Originally Posted by JABCAT
yeah the orange piece was to prevent the clock spring ribbon from unwinding, needs to be snapped off after the clock spring is in place. It mentioned it in the beginning of the install instructions (which could have been written better btw).
That’s what I get for not reading instructions. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To New steering wheel - getting controls to work?

Quick Reply: New steering wheel - getting controls to work?