C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What worries me about the C6...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Default What worries me about the C6...

What worries me about the C6 and any other newer car that has so many computerized dependencies.

How the heck are we going to fix em and keep em running in 20 years. Before you say buy a new one, the same could be said for any other C1,C2, C3... etc model.
I love the C6 Grand Sport and always worry about what the heck I'm going to have to do when the car is 30 years old and something stupid fails like key fob detection, or some CPU or whatever is in this car of mine that I don't know about.

Old school has it's advantages sometimes.

Anyone else ever think about this kind of stuff?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

We are in the middle of the greatest horsepower war ever. The 60's are over and new tech kicks old school butt! Don't sweat the details, just enjoy your car.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Elijah71
What worries me about the C6 and any other newer car that has so many computerized dependencies.

How the heck are we going to fix em and keep em running in 20 years. Before you say buy a new one, the same could be said for any other C1,C2, C3... etc model.
I love the C6 Grand Sport and always worry about what the heck I'm going to have to do when the car is 30 years old and something stupid fails like key fob detection, or some CPU or whatever is in this car of mine that I don't know about.

This dilemma has been going on since the computer age has over taken our cars. Hopefully we will still be able to have issues solved years from now just as we can still have the problems solved on older models from many years passed....(usually anyway)....lOL. There is usually some kind of specialty place or thereof that can handle specialty things....but the key is what will it cost.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

I think about it (with all my cars) but don't worry about it. Corvettes are more of a hobby for me than a necessity. My last Vette was a '94 C4 which I sold in '11 and there were systems on it that were becoming obsolete. At the time I think the dual clutch was becoming hard to find. My '82CE has the same issue with several parts hard to find or non-existent for the rear hatch. All anybody can do is enjoy the car for what it is and be innovative when the part you need is made of unobtanium. The only other choices are to get out of the car hobby or sell and buy an upgrade often.

What I don't like and fret about is buying a new car in the 21st century and then having things like harmonic balancers, steering racks, fuel tank fittings and headlight covers go to crap. Other than that it's all good.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I think about it all the time, although I don't have to worry about 20 years from now.

Originally Posted by cadyshac
We are in the middle of the greatest horsepower war ever. The 60's are over and new tech kicks old school butt! Don't sweat the details, just enjoy your car.
What's that got to do with his question?

Not being able to get critical electronic components isn't just a "detail."
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruze:
BlackMamba89 (01-16-2019), TecCrash (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

You have some worthy concerns and rightfully so. With the added complexities, these cars will be more challenging to "keep running" than their ancestors.

My outlook is - it depends how popular the particular model stays over time. Aftermarket industries are amazing at what they can come up with and over come, but there has to be a market for it

Back to the original issue, technology is getting even more sophisticated and more "inaccessible" outside the control of the manufacturer. Some are driven by gov't entities that are demanding tamper proof products when emissions are involved. Some are driven by protections of intellectual property. All in all, I think the challenges will continue to rise in complexity and solutions will continue to arrive thereafter. one observation, at least GM and other manufacturers tend the "let go" of systems and secrets when the technology ages. And sometimes they sell older technologies to the aftermarket.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 01-14-2019 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SnakeQ (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree w. all the posts above esp. Blindspots. Things to note though: as the mechanical turns to electrics/computerized, one thing that HAS happened is that those things get to be more "plug-and-play" as well as replacing the whole unit vs. rebuilding. Plus, with technology, a lot of these things have become far more long-lasting. Without that, we couldn't exist with some things----remember replacing or cleaning out "fuel filters"? I do. Occasionally, we read about a fuel tank that has to be dropped down to replace a fuel filter or a fuel sending unit. But that is quite rare.

Alternators, starters, I hardly ever read about being rebuilt except by companies where that is their only business, or one of several lines that all they do is rebuild components which are then sold at NAPA or AutoZone. There are no more "distributors" to rebuild in cars less than say, 10-15 years old with new coil packs on each plug. Plug wires can and do last ten years unless someone fools with them---maybe not last at 100% capability, but pretty close. Dash components are kind of expensive to replace in the all-LED world of today, but it will get simpler I guess.

Even some of the "low-tech" stuff has changed for the better in the past 15-20 years. I'm sure you recall when all exhaust systems were steel and subject to instant corrosion and eventual replacement. Then, there was aluminized-steel exhaust, and even a smattering of stainless steel. Now, it's hard to find many cars without relatively low-grade but still long-lasting stainless steel exhaust systems. Which is a savings to owners as are the coil packs, shorter plug wires that seldom need replacing, etc.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

You must be very young if you are worried about this. When my 05 is 30 years old, I will be 95. This is something I never thought of until this thread.

Last edited by Batman75; 01-14-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:38 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 653 Likes on 472 Posts

It gets brought up all the time.

Fortunately most of the computers in the C6 are made of commodity parts and perform traditional embedded computer tasks. They don't drive trendy displays, they don't run 3rd-party software, and most important, they don't connect to the internet. Connected systems require constant, vigilant manufacturer support or else they rot and become useless.

Consider the exceptions such as the touch screen w/ nav, and look how well that thing is aging. Or analog OnStar.

I think the parts that are going to disappear first are all the elaborate C6-specific molded pieces: dashboard, interior trim, molded hoses, etc. That stuff tends to go out of production first and is hard to make yourself.

It would be nice if code and schematics were available. But between the corporate culture of secrecy on the one hand, and regulatory red-tape on the other, that's unlikely. Maybe something will happen with the Right To Repair movement.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I DO NOT plan on keeping this car or any car that will be 30 years old. When they become a money pit they are gone. Not an issue to even consider worring about as far as I am concerned.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:05 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Not at all.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
I DO NOT plan on keeping this car or any car that will be 30 years old. When they become a money pit they are gone. Not an issue to even consider worring about as far as I am concerned.
My 74 is coming up on 45 years old and still runs reliably and is not a money pit. Some of us can not afford to just dispose of our ride when it has a couple of issues. And yes, I sometimes think about all the electronics being an issue going forward. Heck even now, I am not so sold on many of the electronic features that came on my 08. I am a pretty capable mechanic, but do not look forward to chasing electrical gremlins. I do however plan on keeping my current vette for many years to come.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

There are plenty of alternatives to factory computers, particularly when it comes to cars in the "classic" category - more than 20 (25?) years old, where you no longer have to meet emissions. Holley makes a complete ECM replacement called the Dominator (It's not just a carburetor any more! ), there's also Halltech, Megasquirt, Electromotive... and those are just off the top of my head. As far as wiring goes, Summit and Jegs sell generic wiring looms now.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I dont worry about things I cant control. I figure there will be some people around fixing the stuff, as has always happened before. If not, oh well.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:20 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

No, the new tech doesn't bother me in the least. So long as it's documented.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

I haven't started worrying about my C6 yet. But it is in the back of my mind. My C5 is a different story. Some electronic parts are non-existent for my 2000. And apparently they can't be rebuilt. Used replacement parts are expensive and hard to find. (so I'm told) So far all is well but just try and sell it the day after the ECBM is not working and the steering wheel position sensor fails. Already all I hear is "Buy 2001 or newer".

So.........I do believe we are on the same path with the C6. Oh well. I still love 'em both and will worry about what I'm going to do after the headaches start..
Old 01-14-2019, 04:12 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Easy, you plug it into your laptop instead of pulling out spark plugs to diagnose wear. Basically, you had to do manual testing before on what was potentially a problem. Now, you do digitial testing. If a CPU fails, you swap the CPU. Just like I do in my home PC. I've hand built my PCs at the house for nearly 2 decades now. The same concepts will work for automotive computing.

Get notified of new replies

To What worries me about the C6...

Old 01-14-2019, 06:20 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My hope here is that the aftermarket entrepreneur market will take the lead with these parts...If there is a profit to be made, that is the American way
Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Yes I think about it, then I have another drink. If you live another 20 years, most of your life will be taken care by AI. And thats scary...
Old 01-14-2019, 06:30 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 691 Posts

I think that any of these millennials who are willing to get off momma's couch and learn to diagnose and repair automotive electronics...they will have a pretty good career ahead of them.

Quick Reply: What worries me about the C6...