C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PlastiDip Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:47 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayton Parkison
Just sprayed my friends Forgestar wheels in Superwrap. Came out really nice, powder coat like gloss finish. Takes about 10 coats with 2 coats of clearcoat.
Jesus Christ! I sure hope so after that many coats. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to do two coats of PlastiJunk and top coat it with 2-3 coats of clear? Not that "glossifier" junk, I mean real clear.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Odo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
Jesus Christ! I sure hope so after that many coats. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to do two coats of PlastiJunk and top coat it with 2-3 coats of clear? Not that "glossifier" junk, I mean real clear.
Lots of small light coats is essential for a smooth plastidip finish, you can have good coverage in 1 or 2 passes but you will see a TON of texture in the form of valleys/dips. Clearing over this won't fill in like paint, it will just make the ridges even more pronounced because it is too pliable.

Dip looks good if properly applied and lasts well if you don't leave water/chemicals on it for long and don't store it anywhere too dry or in direct sunlight. Pressure washing is possible but don't use any direct/downward pressure, also avoid any of the edges/lines as they can peel off easily with too much force. Lifetime for rims is anywhere from 3 months-5 years depending on how well you apply it.

Last edited by Odo; 01-18-2019 at 07:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimijam (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

I guess I didn't know that PlastiJunk wasn't a smooth or self-leveling finish. Makes sense I guess since it seems to collect brake dust pretty good. Or at least it appears to do so.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Odo
Advanced

Yeah the texture can make it really difficult to clean without damaging it sometimes, pulled some old pictures from when I was parking it in the sun and left it under a metal overhang that would drip rainwater on the hood so you have an idea of how it fails.

(For reference, this is about 4 months sitting in direct sunlight all day, I think it only rained once or twice and those water spots just ate off the outer layer of color/dip protection. Also that little black spot in the middle of the hood is where I got too aggro with the pressure washer on some bug guts, I just can sprayed over it to prevent moisture ruining the rest of the hood's coating since I mostly did this to protect the original clear [Yes it's easily removable, I fully spray all my fleet vehicles with good clear that I have to store outside).)

Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 PM
NeFloridaC6
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Plastidip is legit, I did the tailgate on my truck 6 months ago and it looks as good as when I did it, even over a Florida summer. I am planning on doing the whole truck, it has a crap paint job now so dipping it will be a big improvement.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Cfriskme
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BWF07
I remember when PlastiDip had just the black PlastiDip for wheels. I see they now have a lot of different kits. I am thinking of have my wheels powder coated, but before I spend the big money I was thinking about trying the PlastiDip and see which kit I like best. Has anyone tried these kits and how did you like them. I have seem reviews on their web and while they maybe real. it is possible they are just a false review to help sell their product.
I used plastidip and it worked great. Here are some pics. I live in Florida and have had no problems.

Last edited by Cfriskme; 01-20-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Trying to add pics
Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Gotta clean very well. Also if you take the wheels off the car, the area where the lugnuts screw in may come apart a bit. WHen i put my wheels back on, the lugs pulled on the material a little bit. Cant see it installed, but if you look very very close you can see its not stuck on near the lugs. Im VERY impressed with how it looks and how long it has lasted for $50 worth of materials. I used 1 can of black for each wheel, and 1 can total of clear. one can of black applied about 5-6 coats per wheel.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
Anyone know if these hold up in the heat? Like track abuse heat? Would it melt away?
I'm at the track now on lunch. My stock wheels are dipped gunmetal and fresh after a lap they are definitely soft. As long as you keep your hands off them it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I am just wondering if anybody else tried this. I could not find the color I wanted in Plastidip, so I put a few coats of Plastidip primer and then a few coats of regular spray paint followed by clear. I no longer have either vehicle, so I cannot comment on how removal would go, but the paint held up great for the 2-3 years I had them.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:48 AM
brandoncasey2002
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Dipped my xo luxury wheels

I went from Black to bronze. Super easy, and made a vid on how to do the process. Heres the Link......

Quick Reply: PlastiDip Wheels