C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 PM
BlackLS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19
Default Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights

I recently purchased Morimoto Tail Lights and I am having the following problems:
  • When I hit the brakes with the car running and in gear my Morimoto Gen 1 Headlights white DRL’s dim to about half brightness, this only happens with Morimoto Tail lights installed.
  • The instrument lights illuminate when I hit the brakes in Accessory mode.(with the engine off)
  • All 4 Morimoto tail lights flash when the left or right blinker is on.
  • These symptoms occur with any one or all of the tail lights installed.
When the tail lights are disconnected or Eagle Eyes are installed the symptoms with the headlights and instrument lights go away.

My car is an '05 with stock wiring and no aftermarket wiring harnesses are installed.

Vendor claims they are not having a problem with these lights and will charge me a restocking fee to return them if I do not have the original packaging. (which I do not).

Anyone else having similar problems? Some may have these lights installed and have not noticed.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Post the name of the vendor so I know not to purchase from them. Thanks!

Edit: Was it @VetteLights? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598502482

Last edited by jimijam; 01-16-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The following users liked this post:
ladder13 (05-23-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:24 AM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 2008 with the Morimoto red tails and the Morimoto gen 1 headlights with a Radio Flyer harness. Everything works as it should. I wonder if the 2005 has wiring issues with these lights the same way it has a problem with throttle controllers?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Is the Radio Flyer harness the plug and play in the right rear that is NOT required for the Morimoto lights ?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM
BlackLS
Racer

Originally Posted by jimijam
Post the name of the vendor so I know not to purchase from them. Thanks!

Edit: Was it @VetteLights? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598502482
No, I did not buy these from a forum vendor.

I wish I would have bought these from VetteLights, he seems to be very responsive to problems with products he sells.
wideglideleon (09-21-2020)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 AM
BlackLS
Racer

Originally Posted by PDsVettes
I have a 2008 with the Morimoto red tails and the Morimoto gen 1 headlights with a Radio Flyer harness. Everything works as it should. I wonder if the 2005 has wiring issues with these lights the same way it has a problem with throttle controllers?
I am wondering the same thing.

Anyone with an '05 have the same problem?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
Is the Radio Flyer harness the plug and play in the right rear that is NOT required for the Morimoto lights ?
If that question is for me, I don't understand what you are asking. The Radio Flyer harness is for the headlights to work as the C7 lights. See Radio Flyers website for a video of the operation. Makes the Morimoto headlights work as the should have from the beginning including flash to pass.

Last edited by PDsVettes; 01-17-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:45 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Default Harness

If that question is for me, I don't understand what you are asking. The Radio Flyer harness is for the headlights to work as the C7 lights. See Radio Flyers website for a video of the operation. Makes the Morimoto headlights work as the should have from the beginning including flash to pass.
. See Radio Flyers website for the REAR hyper flash harness for LED REAR lights. Morimotos should NOT need a front harness.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

If you want the Morimoto headlights to function correctly, get this. I have the Morimoto tails on my 2008 and they do not hyperflash.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:12 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Default Lights

If you want the Morimoto headlights to function correctly, get this. I have the Morimoto tails on my 2008 and they do not hyperflash.
. For what you pay for them they should work without the addition of a harness.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:21 PM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

agreed ^^^^
im reading same disappointments on the duramax forum with their fog lights. i know most people gonto complain but when its multiple build threads... gotta wonder
Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

agreed ^^^^
im reading same disappointments on the duramax forum with their fog lights. i know most people complain first but when its multiple build threads... gotta wonder
Old 01-17-2019, 04:58 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

You are absolutely correct. But they don't. I got my RF harness during the black friday sale for $100 which was only $25 dollars more than the other vendor's harness was selling for. However, those harnesses also had problems. Hopefully they will get it right one of these days. Meanwhile, my lights work correctly with the RF harness.

Last edited by PDsVettes; 01-17-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:56 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

From what I've been is the Gen 2 Morimoto Headlights have the fixed wiring harness in place. I thought I read somewhere they were trying to take care of the people with the Gen1 headlights with the new harness.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

I have the gen 1 headlights. I don't know anything about the gen 2 headlights.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaybee924
From what I've been is the Gen 2 Morimoto Headlights have the fixed wiring harness in place. I thought I read somewhere they were trying to take care of the people with the Gen1 headlights with the new harness.
Cole at VetteLights stated that the gen 2 have the DRL/Turn signal issue corrected but the gen 2 lights still don't have flash to pass. If that doesn't bother you, then your are good with the gen 2 lights. I personally use the flash to pass quite a bit to let another driver know it is OK to come into the lane in front of me. RadioFlyers also has a harness for the gen 2 lights to give them proper function.

Last edited by PDsVettes; 01-17-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights

Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 PM
Tj25
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

i had a similar issue on my 16 suburban when i installed the aftermarket escalade taillights with resistors.

i belive it is a resistor issue, i remember reading here in the forums from a fellow corvette owner about a similar issue with led aftermarket lights and he solved the problem by installing an extra resistor or replacing it , cant remember it now.

in the suburban even after the vendor sent me another set of taillights it wouldnt solve the issue.gave to another friend with same car (mine was an LT his was an ltz), he didnt have the same problem.

good luck figuring it out

Last edited by Tj25; 01-18-2019 at 10:28 PM.
BlackLS (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:10 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BlackLS
I recently purchased Morimoto Tail Lights and I am having the following problems:
  • When I hit the brakes with the car running and in gear my Morimoto Gen 1 Headlights white DRL’s dim to about half brightness, this only happens with Morimoto Tail lights installed.
  • The instrument lights illuminate when I hit the brakes in Accessory mode.(with the engine off)
  • All 4 Morimoto tail lights flash when the left or right blinker is on.
  • These symptoms occur with any one or all of the tail lights installed.
When the tail lights are disconnected or Eagle Eyes are installed the symptoms with the headlights and instrument lights go away.

My car is an '05 with stock wiring and no aftermarket wiring harnesses are installed.

Vendor claims they are not having a problem with these lights and will charge me a restocking fee to return them if I do not have the original packaging. (which I do not).

Anyone else having similar problems? Some may have these lights installed and have not noticed.
My best guess is that the turn signal/brake light circuit is shorted to the running light circuit in the Morimoto tail light(s) or their harness.

When you hit the brakes it 'powers up' the running light circuit and the car behaves the same as it would if you used the stalk to turn on the running lights.

When you turn on the running lights the front turn signals in DRL mode (bright turn signals) go off, and the running lights come on (dimmer front turn signals) and of course the dash lights will come on too. This is normal.

The turn signals in the left rear are causing the running lights on the right to come on and vice versa. Actually the running lights are coming on, on both sides but you can't see them on the side with the turn signals on, because they aren't as bright.

The load resistors have nothing to do with this unless they are installed wrong tying the brakes/turn signals to the running lights. And they should be 6 ohm resistors.

I would check the Morimoto lights with a tester to see if there is an internal short. Or can their connector be plugged in backwards? Don't even know if that's possible.

Good luck with this PITA.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 01-19-2019 at 03:15 AM. Reason: sp
BlackLS (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Cole at VetteLights stated that the gen 2 have the DRL/Turn signal issue corrected but the gen 2 lights still don't have flash to pass. If that doesn't bother you, then your are good with the gen 2 lights. I personally use the flash to pass quite a bit to let another driver know it is OK to come into the lane in front of me. RadioFlyers also has a harness for the gen 2 lights to give them proper function.
I had the gen 1 headlights but had to send them back because of a short in them. Vettelights replaced them with the gen2 and they have the flash to pass, mine work perfect.
I sent the old lights back one week and had the new ones the next, I was really impressed by that.

Quick Reply: Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights