C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights

 
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 PM
  #1  
BlackLS
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BlackLS's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 353
Liked 48 Times in 44 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19
Default Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights

I recently purchased Morimoto Tail Lights and I am having the following problems:
  • When I hit the brakes with the car running and in gear my Morimoto Gen 1 Headlights white DRL’s dim to about half brightness, this only happens with Morimoto Tail lights installed.
  • The instrument lights illuminate when I hit the brakes in Accessory mode.(with the engine off)
  • All 4 Morimoto tail lights flash when the left or right blinker is on.
  • These symptoms occur with any one or all of the tail lights installed.
When the tail lights are disconnected or Eagle Eyes are installed the symptoms with the headlights and instrument lights go away.

My car is an '05 with stock wiring and no aftermarket wiring harnesses are installed.

Vendor claims they are not having a problem with these lights and will charge me a restocking fee to return them if I do not have the original packaging. (which I do not).

Anyone else having similar problems? Some may have these lights installed and have not noticed.



BlackLS is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 PM
  #2  
jimijam
CF Senior Member
 
jimijam's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Location: PNW
Posts: 629
Liked 110 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Post the name of the vendor so I know not to purchase from them. Thanks!


Edit: Was it @VetteLights? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598502482

Last edited by jimijam; 01-16-2019 at 11:15 PM.
jimijam is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 PM
  #3  
2008 Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
2008 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: Mead Wash
Posts: 1,245
Liked 114 Times in 105 Posts
Default

2008 Corvette is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 01:24 AM
  #4  
PDsVettes
CF Senior Member
 
PDsVettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 595
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

I have a 2008 with the Morimoto red tails and the Morimoto gen 1 headlights with a Radio Flyer harness. Everything works as it should. I wonder if the 2005 has wiring issues with these lights the same way it has a problem with throttle controllers?
PDsVettes is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 AM
  #5  
2008 Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
2008 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: Mead Wash
Posts: 1,245
Liked 114 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Is the Radio Flyer harness the plug and play in the right rear that is NOT required for the Morimoto lights ?
2008 Corvette is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM
  #6  
BlackLS
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BlackLS's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 353
Liked 48 Times in 44 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19
Default

Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
Post the name of the vendor so I know not to purchase from them. Thanks!


Edit: Was it @VetteLights? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598502482
No, I did not buy these from a forum vendor.

I wish I would have bought these from VetteLights, he seems to be very responsive to problems with products he sells.
BlackLS is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 AM
  #7  
BlackLS
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BlackLS's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 353
Liked 48 Times in 44 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19
Default

Originally Posted by PDsVettes View Post
I have a 2008 with the Morimoto red tails and the Morimoto gen 1 headlights with a Radio Flyer harness. Everything works as it should. I wonder if the 2005 has wiring issues with these lights the same way it has a problem with throttle controllers?
I am wondering the same thing.

Anyone with an '05 have the same problem?
BlackLS is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 PM
  #8  
PDsVettes
CF Senior Member
 
PDsVettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 595
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette View Post
Is the Radio Flyer harness the plug and play in the right rear that is NOT required for the Morimoto lights ?
If that question is for me, I don't understand what you are asking. The Radio Flyer harness is for the headlights to work as the C7 lights. See Radio Flyers website for a video of the operation. Makes the Morimoto headlights work as the should have from the beginning including flash to pass.

Last edited by PDsVettes; 01-17-2019 at 03:38 PM.
PDsVettes is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:45 PM
  #9  
2008 Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
2008 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: Mead Wash
Posts: 1,245
Liked 114 Times in 105 Posts
Default Harness

Originally Posted by PDsVettes View Post
If that question is for me, I don't understand what you are asking. The Radio Flyer harness is for the headlights to work as the C7 lights. See Radio Flyers website for a video of the operation. Makes the Morimoto headlights work as the should have from the beginning including flash to pass.
. See Radio Flyers website for the REAR hyper flash harness for LED REAR lights. Morimotos should NOT need a front harness.
2008 Corvette is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM
  #10  
PDsVettes
CF Senior Member
 
PDsVettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 595
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

If you want the Morimoto headlights to function correctly, get this. I have the Morimoto tails on my 2008 and they do not hyperflash.
PDsVettes is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 04:12 PM
  #11  
2008 Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
2008 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2015
Location: Mead Wash
Posts: 1,245
Liked 114 Times in 105 Posts
Default Lights

Originally Posted by PDsVettes View Post
If you want the Morimoto headlights to function correctly, get this. I have the Morimoto tails on my 2008 and they do not hyperflash.
. For what you pay for them they should work without the addition of a harness.
2008 Corvette is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 04:21 PM
  #12  
BLUEMEANIE
CF Senior Member
 
BLUEMEANIE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 271
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette View Post
. For what you pay for them they should work without the addition of a harness.
agreed ^^^^
im reading same disappointments on the duramax forum with their fog lights. i know most people gonto complain but when its multiple build threads... gotta wonder
BLUEMEANIE is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM
  #13  
BLUEMEANIE
CF Senior Member
 
BLUEMEANIE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 271
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette View Post
. For what you pay for them they should work without the addition of a harness.
agreed ^^^^
im reading same disappointments on the duramax forum with their fog lights. i know most people complain first but when its multiple build threads... gotta wonder
BLUEMEANIE is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 04:58 PM
  #14  
PDsVettes
CF Senior Member
 
PDsVettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 595
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette View Post
. For what you pay for them they should work without the addition of a harness.

You are absolutely correct. But they don't. I got my RF harness during the black friday sale for $100 which was only $25 dollars more than the other vendor's harness was selling for. However, those harnesses also had problems. Hopefully they will get it right one of these days. Meanwhile, my lights work correctly with the RF harness.

Last edited by PDsVettes; 01-17-2019 at 04:59 PM.
PDsVettes is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 05:56 PM
  #15  
jaybee924
CF Senior Member
 
jaybee924's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: Chattanooga TN
Posts: 753
Liked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PDsVettes View Post
If that question is for me, I don't understand what you are asking. The Radio Flyer harness is for the headlights to work as the C7 lights. See Radio Flyers website for a video of the operation. Makes the Morimoto headlights work as the should have from the beginning including flash to pass.
From what I've been is the Gen 2 Morimoto Headlights have the fixed wiring harness in place. I thought I read somewhere they were trying to take care of the people with the Gen1 headlights with the new harness.
jaybee924 is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM
  #16  
PDsVettes
CF Senior Member
 
PDsVettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 595
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

I have the gen 1 headlights. I don't know anything about the gen 2 headlights.
PDsVettes is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 PM
  #17  
PDsVettes
CF Senior Member
 
PDsVettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 595
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jaybee924 View Post
From what I've been is the Gen 2 Morimoto Headlights have the fixed wiring harness in place. I thought I read somewhere they were trying to take care of the people with the Gen1 headlights with the new harness.
Cole at VetteLights stated that the gen 2 have the DRL/Turn signal issue corrected but the gen 2 lights still don't have flash to pass. If that doesn't bother you, then your are good with the gen 2 lights. I personally use the flash to pass quite a bit to let another driver know it is OK to come into the lane in front of me. RadioFlyers also has a harness for the gen 2 lights to give them proper function.

Last edited by PDsVettes; 01-17-2019 at 06:26 PM.
PDsVettes is online now  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 PM
  #18  
Tj25
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Santa Barbara CA
Posts: 179
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Default

i had a similar issue on my 16 suburban when i installed the aftermarket escalade taillights with resistors.

i belive it is a resistor issue, i remember reading here in the forums from a fellow corvette owner about a similar issue with led aftermarket lights and he solved the problem by installing an extra resistor or replacing it , cant remember it now.

in the suburban even after the vendor sent me another set of taillights it wouldnt solve the issue.gave to another friend with same car (mine was an LT his was an ltz), he didnt have the same problem.

good luck figuring it out

Last edited by Tj25; 01-18-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Tj25 is offline  
The following users liked this post: Tj25
BlackLS (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:10 AM
  #19  
Knob Jockey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Knob Jockey's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Edgewood Washington
Posts: 9,172
Liked 150 Times in 127 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15
Default

Originally Posted by BlackLS View Post
I recently purchased Morimoto Tail Lights and I am having the following problems:
  • When I hit the brakes with the car running and in gear my Morimoto Gen 1 Headlights white DRL’s dim to about half brightness, this only happens with Morimoto Tail lights installed.
  • The instrument lights illuminate when I hit the brakes in Accessory mode.(with the engine off)
  • All 4 Morimoto tail lights flash when the left or right blinker is on.
  • These symptoms occur with any one or all of the tail lights installed.
When the tail lights are disconnected or Eagle Eyes are installed the symptoms with the headlights and instrument lights go away.

My car is an '05 with stock wiring and no aftermarket wiring harnesses are installed.

Vendor claims they are not having a problem with these lights and will charge me a restocking fee to return them if I do not have the original packaging. (which I do not).

Anyone else having similar problems? Some may have these lights installed and have not noticed.
My best guess is that the turn signal/brake light circuit is shorted to the running light circuit in the Morimoto tail light(s) or their harness.

When you hit the brakes it 'powers up' the running light circuit and the car behaves the same as it would if you used the stalk to turn on the running lights.

When you turn on the running lights the front turn signals in DRL mode (bright turn signals) go off, and the running lights come on (dimmer front turn signals) and of course the dash lights will come on too. This is normal.

The turn signals in the left rear are causing the running lights on the right to come on and vice versa. Actually the running lights are coming on, on both sides but you can't see them on the side with the turn signals on, because they aren't as bright.

The load resistors have nothing to do with this unless they are installed wrong tying the brakes/turn signals to the running lights. And they should be 6 ohm resistors.

I would check the Morimoto lights with a tester to see if there is an internal short. Or can their connector be plugged in backwards? Don't even know if that's possible.

Good luck with this PITA.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 01-19-2019 at 03:15 AM. Reason: sp
Knob Jockey is offline  
The following users liked this post: Knob Jockey
BlackLS (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM
  #20  
COMMANDER2OOO
CF Senior Member
 
COMMANDER2OOO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Akron Ohio
Posts: 2,236
Liked 197 Times in 159 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by PDsVettes View Post
Cole at VetteLights stated that the gen 2 have the DRL/Turn signal issue corrected but the gen 2 lights still don't have flash to pass. If that doesn't bother you, then your are good with the gen 2 lights. I personally use the flash to pass quite a bit to let another driver know it is OK to come into the lane in front of me. RadioFlyers also has a harness for the gen 2 lights to give them proper function.
I had the gen 1 headlights but had to send them back because of a short in them. Vettelights replaced them with the gen2 and they have the flash to pass, mine work perfect.
I sent the old lights back one week and had the new ones the next, I was really impressed by that.
COMMANDER2OOO is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: