C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barrett Jackson Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 PM
CWIC
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, as a person that just celebrated the 3rd anniversary of his 25th birthday and has 5 kids, 13 grandkids and 4 great grandkids I can truthfully say I don't miss my brake adjusting tool.
Go ahead, bash me all you want, I hated using that damn thing.

Driving my 'old' 1964 C2 'Vert in the early '70's was great, a fantastic car for it's time and I wish I still had it but some of the requirements to owning one is best forgotten. Like the points and condenser, the broken gear motor in the flip-up headlights and drum brakes.
My C6 makes me very happy, even without USB outlets, at least now I don't have to use a goddamn brake tool on the star gear on the drum brakes! Hooray!

Last edited by CWIC; 01-21-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

I think some of you may be confusing Millennials (born 1980-1994) with non-car enthusiasts and Gen Z kids (born 1995-2015).
I'm a millennial and I love ALL cars. '63 Corvette drives by? You can bet my girl is gonna slap my arm for abruptly departing our current conversation to ogle an old Vette driving by. I'd drive an Evo X too. But I have a C6. They're all great. I'd own them all if I could.

It's the Gen Z kids that are glued to their cell phones and have 5k followers on Instagram before they turn 15yrs old.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

I agree with the progress made in modern cars. I also don't miss the regular maintenance needed on the older cars.
but I don't feel that the current generation as a whole, can ever appreciate what they have now.
looking back now, I always loved the feeling of properly diagnosing a problem. thinking it through, cause & effect, then getting it right!
now a days, plug in the reader and off you go! that's me now.
my first taste of this was on a 2004 mazda I had. CD player went out. the fix? just replace it! I guess that was the easiest way.
up till then, I was just used to trying to figure the problem them fixing it.
the price of progress I guess.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
LOL.....At 22 years old I don't doubt at all that you don't lust after older cars....heck, they don't have any USB ports or pockets to put your phone in.....LOLOL. And as far as old Vettes being a piece of crap.....Rough riding ??....absolutely........noisy??.....abso lutely......but pieces of crap??....absolutely not....at least no more than these newer ones that have so much techno crap on them that there is an almost guarantee that one of....if not several of the techno items in these newer cars will go South at any given time. Our beloved C-6's are a testament to that with all the little idiosyncrasies that plague them.......
Originally Posted by Bingo002
Did you read what I wrote at all? Ya their not having wireless charging and automated braking really kills it for me. That's the reason I was describing. As for them being pieces of crap? Look at it objectively. The panel gaps are absurd, everything rattles, the chassis dynamics are laughable, I could go on. They are COOL, that's it.
But you're right, just complain about a lack of car culture in the younger crowds while disrespecting their preferences. That's how to keep it alive.
Yeah, WindyC6 is oblivious as to how forums work. He made a bunch of sweeping generalizations about them whippersnappers with nothing to back it up then completely ignored my comments. All young kids hate cars!

I agree 100% Bingo002. The Corvette (including the C7) is a piece of junk when you compare it to a proper sports car (something like the 911 or M cars). If you refuse to acknowledge this you're either: A) never tried something more refined, B) have the USA blinders on, C) stubborn, or D) all of the above. Good point about the panel gap, the ride is abysmal, the creaks and moans, the cheap GM plastics, the leaf springs, the manual shift "gates" feel like they're full of stones, the steering wheel is too big, etc etc.

That said.... the Corvette is INSANE, untouchable value for the money if you want to go fast on a budget. Just don't drive it around thinking you have a museum piece or some wonder of the world.

Originally Posted by theandrewo
I think some of you may be confusing Millennials (born 1980-1994) with non-car enthusiasts and Gen Z kids (born 1995-2015).
I'm a millennial and I love ALL cars. '63 Corvette drives by? You can bet my girl is gonna slap my arm for abruptly departing our current conversation to ogle an old Vette driving by. I'd drive an Evo X too. But I have a C6. They're all great. I'd own them all if I could.

It's the Gen Z kids that are glued to their cell phones and have 5k followers on Instagram before they turn 15yrs old.
Amen to this. I've owned German, Japanese, American. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I get equally excited when I see a Viper, McLaren, Evo, STI, S4.

Last edited by SlothX311; 01-22-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:25 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311
Yeah, WindyC6 is oblivious as to how forums work. He made a bunch of sweeping generalizations about them whippersnappers with nothing to back it up then completely ignored my comments. All young kids hate cars!

I agree 100% Bingo002. The Corvette (including the C7) is a piece of junk when you compare it to a proper sports car (something like the 911 or M cars). If you refuse to acknowledge this you're either: A) never tried something more refined, B) have the USA blinders on, C) stubborn, or D) all of the above. Good point about the panel gap, the ride is abysmal, the creaks and moans, the cheap GM plastics, the leaf springs, the manual shift "gates" feel like they're full of stones, the steering wheel is too big, etc etc.

That said.... the Corvette is INSANE, untouchable value for the money if you want to go fast on a budget. Just don't drive it around thinking you have a museum piece or some wonder of the world.

Amen to this. I've owned German, Japanese, American. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I get equally excited when I see a Viper, McLaren, Evo, STI, S4.
GEEZE....All these young "Noble and Righteous" attitudes just make me all warm and fuzzy inside. As long as one stays within the rules and boundaries of any forum......could someone please explain to me the "Correct way to use a forum"..............
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 AM
SlothX311
Pro

GEEZE....All these young "Noble and Righteous" attitudes just make me all warm and fuzzy inside. As long as one stays within the rules and boundaries of any forum......could someone please explain to me the "Correct way to use a forum"..............
LOL. I'll break it down for you.
  1. You made a generalization of younger generation being spoiled brats. Techno crap in newer cars (whatever that means)
  2. I replied
  3. You said something 2 posts later about it not taking long for "millennials" to be on the attack.

Back your stuff up if you're just going to fling it around. Young guys like cars too (not just Corvettes). Objectively look at it instead of trying to validate your purchase through your Corvette blinders. The Corvette is lackluster in most departments (build quality, materials, features, etc), younger generations demanding more out of a car? Those brats!
Old 01-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Correct way to use any forum is done while shitting. Anything else is just a waste of time.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:37 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
Correct way to use any forum is done while shitting. Anything else is just a waste of time.
Indeed.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:02 PM
Bingo002
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

GEEZE....All these young "Noble and Righteous" attitudes:
Yep. Definitely isn't reading and/or comprehending any of my text. It's no longer worth my effort. Carry on sir.

Last edited by Bingo002; 01-23-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Barrett Jackson Corvettes