C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 2008+ c6 base corvette actually reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:33 AM
SLAYER7899
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 2008+ c6 base corvette actually reliable?

Hello everyone I'll be honest I'm only 20 years old and dont even have a corvette yet however I would like to though, I currently have a 2004 wrx sti and would like to trade it in for a 2008 base model c6.

my mission as a car enthusiast is to drive this c6 corvette all the way till 1 million miles.

now I shall explain how. I myself am from alaska and up there( currently in new Hampshire for college in Massachusetts) so it's not to uncommon to see mustang's and m class bmws being driven in snow storms.

would a c6 corvette be ok in the snow as long as I put snow tires on her and etc.( I have a 2008 ford explorer if she wont due it )

also I will only be putting a polluter cam
straight pipes
Kooks headers
a tune
I would like to make the car reach 550whp.
I understand some other things will need to be done.
I WILL NOT BE PUTTING A BLOWER OR TURBO OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON HER.
my mission is to basically put this car through her paces up until a million miles.
now I need to know if you'll think that's possible on a stock block minus the exhaust stuff and few upgrades that this car will be able to reach 1 million miles with just these upgrades and continues regular maintenance?

I will be making this decision completely and entirely off of your guys responses. It's either that or I keep my wrx sti and make it reach 1 million miles it's just I've always wanted a corvette and now I'm technically in a position to have 1.

for more background info i currently am living in the new england area so the car will be doing majority of its live here. I major in finance so catching me in the boston financial district or in nyc is something that will happen no matter what sadly( I always wanted to be a race car driver). The only thing that scares me about doing this challenge with the subi is the fact that the engine is known to blow. If the engine blows the challenge kinda ends... hence why I chose the vette.

please everyone give me your honest opinion on what you think i will need to do and what the car will need
i dont care about mpg and paying for gas that's fine. I already get like 8mpg with my sti..... u can figure why.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 AM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Reliable...Yes. a million miles...probably not. I don't think there's to many cars that could even do that without a rebuild or 2.
Corvette + Snow= bad things will happen. You drive the Vette in the snow I can guarantee you won't make the million miles. It's just not the Vettes drivability in the snow but other people on the road.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Have to say this up front...is this a troll?
If not, to answer your question I wouldn't drive a Vette in winter snow.
Too light, rear drive and tires too wide, too low for snow and ice.
Others will say you can but I live in Canadian prairies and no one drives Vettes and very few Camaros or Mustangs in cold snowy winters here. And were not sissies that don't know how to drive.
So you're going to mod and hop up a C6 and try for a million?
Ya right, even stock Corollas don't get that.

Last edited by oldcanuck; 01-24-2019 at 10:22 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by oldcanuck:
Alpinestarz07 (01-24-2019), johno504 (01-26-2019), stevesvette (01-26-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:28 AM
ssg10587
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

1) I don't think there is ANY car that will reach a million miles without some major work
2) It is a bad idea to drive RWD cars in the snow regardless of your tires

If you want a corvette then get a second car to deal with snow otherwise the wrx is probably your best bet. I live in a cold climate and use an accord coupe whenever there is snow.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

FWIW, I successfully used blizaak tires on a Celica GTS for several years. Truly amazing tires in snow and ice. Expensive but worth it, I only got about 12,000 miles out of those tires though.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:49 AM
SLAYER7899
Cruising

Default No I'm not a troll

I would just like to say I'm not trolling by any means what so ever I would really like yo try to take this car to a million miles if possible. I know it will take a number of years to do so however I have a plan to do it and would like to do this challenge by keeping the cars engine completely ORIGINAL if I have to change a piston here or there or something like that than fine. But the car must keep running I want this c6 to make 1 million miles on its original engine or block. Preferably engine. Minus some upgrades like an intake, headers, exhaust, oil pump etc.. I will be tracking the vehicle and using as my everyday car. I am not trolling I assure you. I've always wanted this car and am now kinda in a position to obtain it. I bought my 2004 wrx sti because I saw it on tv in Monte carlo( rally) when I was younger and have fallen in love ever since. The sad truth is 6 year olds cant exactly drive....... the Corvette I saw on top gear the c6 z06. Gramps talked about how he rented a 2002 z06 in las Vegas for a wedding and just basically went drag racing with it. Whooping ferraris and keeping up with lamborghinis.

I do intend to do this challenge if this car is up to the task as long as it can stay alive with me doing regular maintenance and what not. From new clutches to new flywheels, other parts etc. As long as I keep up the maintenance do you'll think this car can hit 1 million miles. ? I already know my Subaru more than likely wont. Its known to blow up. Sadly....
Old 01-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Bingo002
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 550 WHP? Highly doubt that'll make it to million. Engines that last the longest do so because they're detuned (therefore overbuilt), and tuning up an LS will not make it last longer. And you're just playing with fire driving it in the snow. It will be dangerous, and at least to me, I don't see the point of driving it in the snow anyway since you won't be able to use even 20% of its capability. Buy a beater or hang on to the STI, and enjoy the vette.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:57 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Vette is not really a snow friendly car. 1 million miles? Sounds like a tall order. Maybe with an old Yota land cruiser or something, but I'm not sure about a fiberglass sports car.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:36 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

As a c6 and camaro owner who drives in snowstorms regularly, my only concern for a vette is the ride height. Snow above the bumper line is problematic as you can get "beached" on snow banks the plows leave behind or stuck in unplowed areas. Rwd and snow tires function as well as any car to go point a to b and no car is impervious to bad weather. My camaro is sedan height so it is as decent as the next beater in snow.

you will find its more a preference of users not to do it rather than being impossible.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Alpinestarz07
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont think any 20 year old in snow, dry, rain will get a Vette to a million miles without killing themself or the car first. Just sayin?

Last edited by Alpinestarz07; 01-24-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Bingo002
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpinestarz07
I dont think any 20 year old in snow, dry, rain will get a Vette to a million miles without killing themself or the car first. Just sayin?
Yep. You have to be well past your midlife to know how to handle a sports car.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Yeah... I remember when I had my first beer...
The following 2 users liked this post by Garry in AZ:
Alpinestarz07 (01-25-2019), slow_zo6 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingo002
Yep. You have to be well past your midlife to know how to handle a sports car.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

You drive a wrx and you're asking if a car with a sbc is reliable?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:12 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpinestarz07
LOL, yes.

Even if he drove 50k per year, a tall order, it would take twenty consecutive years to get to a mill -- and what's so magic about that number? Just to say you did it?

Even if it makes it (with several engine/driveline/whatever-else rebuilds) the car will be shot and nobody will care. I won't even bother bringing up the biggest winter problem (aside from sliding into guardrails, trees, ditches, other cars, etc.) -- salt.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:17 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

probably more reliable than your STi. my son has a 2011 STi and I can tell you if I had to rely on his car or my 2006 corvette..... I'd take the vette all day long. corvette will easily get 200k miles if it's taken care of. on the subaru, it's highly recommended to change the timing belt somewhere close to 100k. I've always had them changed at 85-90k miles on the subbies I've had. I'd be willing to bet that the money you would put into the STi to get a million miles out of it would pay fort he C6.

just buy the corvette and drive it in nice weather, put some snows on the subbie and drive that in the bad weather.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:49 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Ive put 130k miles on my 2008 c6 z51 manual and its been awesome..totally reliable but the key is to NOT crack open the motor..

the car stock tops out at 190 mph and accelerates to 60mph in four seconds...

just put an air intake, do a tune and a cow booster...

slap on a set of 19/20 inch rims and call it a day.

in my opinion if you follow my advice youll get to 300k miles..

i dont know anything about a million miles...

and btw..i put snow tires on my vette every november and daily the car in the MY tristate area..

the car travels fine ..and still looks mint.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the 2008+ c6 base corvette actually reliable?

Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

They are very reliable. Just get a z51 for the suspension and higher gear ratios of a manual.

Other you will be spending big dollars to fix
Old 01-24-2019, 08:55 PM
SLAYER7899
Cruising

Default ?

So apart from not driving the Corvette in the snow along as I drive the car in good weather. And keep up with maintaince and not crash the car I should be good. I'll be honest I know for I'm kinda young( 20) but I can assure you I can handle the car with time. And I want to do this challenge simply for the fact of doing it. I mean you see so many people who purposely drive there car less JUST so they can hope for a better resale value. At that rate you might as well have leased the car... I mean it's like ( excuse my language) not $m@s#hing your girlfriend just to save it for the next guy or your best friend. These cars are meant to be driven. And I love my STI it's just the chances of my motor blowing are rather high.

while it's not a race car.
driving it like a group b car ( while its stock) is definitely not helping. I wanted the vette because I always wanted something I could enjoy on multiple platforms preferably not when 40( must be why the insurance is so much lower than the STI) but now and because I'd like to do something like the La Nonna. The pagani with a million miles( because of all the testing they did with it) however I'd like to simply try to achieve it by driving the car daily. My family commute to school is around 40 to 60 miles a day. So I understand it will take a while. However I'd be willing to mess around with the engine in order to keep her running so long as I can at least say the car made it( shell and all) originally I came into this with my eyes open in hope I'd make the engine go 1 million miles. But that's fine I figured by the time the vehicle is payed off by the 7th or 8th year of owning I could do a few builds on the vehicle since the engine more than likely sadly wont make the 1 million mile trip. As long as the body can I'm all in. So what do yall think? Do yall think its possible as long as I take care of the car and dont crash? I'm still planning on 550whp.
My sti is only making like 255whp.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Buy a c6 z06 if you want more power than the ls3.

modding cars destroys all the work manufacturers build into the vehicle from the factory.

if you really want a ls3 or ls2 corvette then just slap a edlebrock supercharger and call it a day or better yet...buy one with the edlebrock supercharger already installed.

thats the best way to go...buy a higher mileage edlebrock supercharged c6...Doesnt really matter if you get a ls2 or ls3 when suoercharged.

mods rarely add to resale value...so your getting the mods basically for free...

the supercharger route is better than a heads and cam for reliability in my opinion.

my last car was a cammed c5 z06 with 373 gears headers and a lot of other mods..

im giving you good advice..the c6 z51 m6 is a slick ride stock but if you have to mod...then either get a c6 z06 or get a edlebrock supercharged z51 thats already been modded.

good luck and I still stand nasically stock with an air intake, cow booster and a tune. Throw in a mgw short throw shifter and thats all you need.

if you were local I d let you test drive my car and youd see im pretty much spot on.

Quick Reply: Is the 2008+ c6 base corvette actually reliable?