C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would ever buy a C6 sight unseen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 06:47 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Would ever buy a C6 sight unseen?

I'm looking for a C6 right now and it seems every time I find one its clear back East and 3000+ miles away. Are there any circumstances you would buy one sight unseen? For instance, how about a C6 that has 12K miles on her? You ask yourself, "What could be wrong with a vehicle with 12,000 miles on it?". Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on this issue.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:01 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

A lot could be wrong with a vehicle with any miles on it.

Post here and/or the regional areas of the forum asking someone to check it out.
Get a local dealer/shop to do a pre-purchase inspection.
Get both a CarFax and AutoCheck on it.
Get a GM dealer to check the VIN in the GM VIS for history.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:02 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I would never buy one sight unseen...not even from a dealership. People can be deceiving when they're trying to sell things just so they can get rid of it.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
I would never buy one sight unseen...not even from a dealership. People can be deceiving when they're trying to sell things just so they can get rid of it.
I agree, although there are the occasional posters here who have bought one unseen. Way, way too risky for me.

Maybe Bobby (NSF) can chime in here -- if memory serves he bought a truck a couple of years ago unseen and it was a disaster. I hope I got that right.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:09 PM
cal45
Drifting

Received 479 Likes on 263 Posts

Nope - I would have to see it and drive it first hand
Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by cal45
Nope - I would have to see it and drive it first hand
I would never buy a vehicle without personally seeing and checking it out, as well as taking it for a nice test drive.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:28 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

My very first Corvette, a 2007 was purchased sight unseen....but it was a new left over...

It all depends on details of car and under the right circumstance I would buy a used one too....

Last edited by hawkgfr; 01-25-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:31 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I did, and got a cream puff. It was delivered to my driveway from 1200 miles away. With thorough, careful, diligent research, I'd do it again, too.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:31 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I did. Dealer sent me very detailed pics of the car and I was not disappointed.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:35 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I know a couple people have but I wouldn't unless it is from a dealer with a great reputation. There are just too many things that can be wrong that maybe even the dealer doesn't know about.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:43 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts

I have purchased 4 C6’s and 1 C5 sight unseen. ALL were heavily modified. I had no one check them out prior to the purchase. Each to his own, I suppose.

BTW, there was not a single disappointing factor with any of these vehicles. They were exactly what I thought I was buying. And, each was an exceptional vehicle.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

FWIW, there is a member here who just bought a sight unseen C3 that wound up having a cracked frame. Granted, a C6 is a much newer car, but NWIH would I spent that much money without inspecting the car myself.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I purchased my first vette (C5) basically sight unseen. I had pics and messaged the guy and gave deposit. rented a car and drove 9 hrs to give the guy the rest of the money and drove it home. granted, it was a forum member I purchased it from as well.

My 2nd vette i bought on ebay from a dealership in IL (I'm in PA). negotiated and sent payment and they shipped the car to my door as part of the deal. I was not disappointed with either.

The car I have now was only about 45-60 min away from me, a forum member and went to look at it before I bought it. I "liked it" in the photos, but when i saw it in person I was ecstatic about how clean and nice it was. I thought about it for about a week and then made the deal.

I have purchased several motorcycles sight unseen as well. you definitely have to be careful as there are a lot of people that will scam you or sell you junk. I've had some experiences where someone told me their vehicle was in "EXCELLENT / LIKE NEW" condition but when I arrived to look at it in person, it was not even close to what I consider like new or excellent.

I purchased my woman's car sight unseen and was only SLIGHTLY disappointed with a few small things that were not mentioned.....

it's up to you if you can live with taking that chance.......
Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

I got burned on a Viper , sight unseen. Flew there and bought it anyway( disaster)
Just bought a ZR1 in California. After talking to the owner and having a CF guy check it out for me, im absolutely sure it is mint condition.
You can smell the bullshitters, this particular guy is a collector, and i believe him. I told myself i would never do this, but after hearing from another CF member, who acknowledged the car is mint, im buying it. Im very confident and got one heck of a deal.
plus he sent me 2 videos of the car, amazing.

Last edited by blackvetterzo6; 01-25-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nope, I have to see it. touch it and drive it before I would buy it.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:48 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnieUtah
I'm looking for a C6 right now and it seems every time I find one its clear back East and 3000+ miles away. Are there any circumstances you would buy one sight unseen? For instance, how about a C6 that has 12K miles on her? You ask yourself, "What could be wrong with a vehicle with 12,000 miles on it?". Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on this issue.
I wouldn't consider buying a C6 sight unseen since the time they were delivering new ones to the NCM in Bowling Green.

You're going to have to see the car eventually, so I'd wait to hand over the check until you've flown out to pick it up. If the seller can't be trusted to hold the car until you arrive, he's untrustworthy and it's a good thing you didn't give him your money. You'd be out the price of a plane ticket instead of the price of a car.

If you're asking would I buy a car and have it shipped sight unseen, the answer is absolutely not. Even if the seller is a stand-up guy, any damage that occurs in shipping is between you and the shipping company's very stingy insurance company. They're going to say it came that way and you're going to have a hard time proving it didn't.

It's a car. Drive it home or wait for one that's closer.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I agree, although there are the occasional posters here who have bought one unseen. Way, way too risky for me.

Maybe Bobby (NSF) can chime in here -- if memory serves he bought a truck a couple of years ago unseen and it was a disaster. I hope I got that right.
Absofuckinglutely agree, and even then nothing is guaranteed. But at least see it in person or have it looked at by a qualified 3rd party. I didn't do either and it cost a pretty penny, well, a lot of pennies
NSF
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (01-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Would ever buy a C6 sight unseen?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:22 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Never buy a car sight unseen unless it is new from a new car dealer.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Absofuckinglutely agree, and even then nothing is guaranteed. But at least see it in person or have it looked at by a qualified 3rd party. I didn't do either and it cost a pretty penny, well, a lot of pennies
NSF
Thanks for confirming my (failing) memory, Bud. Attachment 48331950

Actually, my memory is fine -- it's just kinda short.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:41 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
FWIW, there is a member here who just bought a sight unseen C3 that wound up having a cracked frame. Granted, a C6 is a much newer car, but NWIH would I spent that much money without inspecting the car myself.
PAT!

How the hell are ya?

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417
I purchased my first vette (C5) basically sight unseen. I had pics and messaged the guy and gave deposit. rented a car and drove 9 hrs to give the guy the rest of the money and drove it home. granted, it was a forum member I purchased it from as well.

My 2nd vette i bought on ebay from a dealership in IL (I'm in PA). negotiated and sent payment and they shipped the car to my door as part of the deal. I was not disappointed with either.

The car I have now was only about 45-60 min away from me, a forum member and went to look at it before I bought it. I "liked it" in the photos, but when i saw it in person I was ecstatic about how clean and nice it was. I thought about it for about a week and then made the deal.

I have purchased several motorcycles sight unseen as well. you definitely have to be careful as there are a lot of people that will scam you or sell you junk. I've had some experiences where someone told me their vehicle was in "EXCELLENT / LIKE NEW" condition but when I arrived to look at it in person, it was not even close to what I consider like new or excellent.

I purchased my woman's car sight unseen and was only SLIGHTLY disappointed with a few small things that were not mentioned.....

it's up to you if you can live with taking that chance.......
Expanding on your post, figuring the odds: One could hear 19 stories of guys buying cars unseen and were very happy with what they got. So you take your chances (hey, you've got a 95% chance of being a winner) and you get screwed royally. The 19 good stories previously will be irrelevant.

It's the same thing with surgeons. "This is a very safe, routine surgery and complications are very low, maybe 5%." But if you happen to fall in that 5%, the statistics won't mean a damned thing to you -- and they won't help with whatever problems (temporary or permanent) you may have.

Quick Reply: Would ever buy a C6 sight unseen?