C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership totaled my corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Old 01-29-2019, 04:21 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
They have a valid reason as well, your car has a clutch safety switch malfunction, and as far as they know its intentional. And since you have blackout covers, it's not hard for them to paint a picture of making mods with willful negligence to safety. Theyve got a story that makes sense for what happened, and it puts them in a very believable position and makes it seem like something they'd have no reason to expect should happen.

But all that is irrelevant. At this point all you can do is turn it in to your insurance and tell them what you know. If you're lucky, theyll find that it's the shops fault and recover your deductible, but that's unlikely.
I can also make a pretty good case that the mechanic was disregarding safety procedures even in their version of the story, and use that to bolster an atmosphere of risk taking that finally screwed them over. You can never assume a car in a shop is in perfect functional order, doing something like half hanging in the car when hitting the starter assuming it won't start should have OSHA chomping to get in and inspect the place.

However, I will point out there was another thread here recently that the dealer wrecked a Vette (or maybe it was a Camaro, can't remember specifically) where the owner's insurance refused to touch it beyond offering legal support. It was in the dealers care, it was their insurance that was on the hook for the payout.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:49 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I can also make a pretty good case that the mechanic was disregarding safety procedures even in their version of the story, and use that to bolster an atmosphere of risk taking that finally screwed them over. You can never assume a car in a shop is in perfect functional order, doing something like half hanging in the car when hitting the starter assuming it won't start should have OSHA chomping to get in and inspect the place.

However, I will point out there was another thread here recently that the dealer wrecked a Vette (or maybe it was a Camaro, can't remember specifically) where the owner's insurance refused to touch it beyond offering legal support. It was in the dealers care, it was their insurance that was on the hook for the payout.
This is going to be hard for the dealer to deny. First off they would have to prove the OP disabled or new the safety switch was disabled. Even then, if the tech would have followed proper procedure when parking (set parking brake) and starting ( sitting in driver seat with feet on clutch and brake) this would never have happened.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:55 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
This is going to be hard for the dealer to deny. First off they would have to prove the OP disabled or new the safety switch was disabled. Even then, if the tech would have followed proper procedure when parking (set parking brake) and starting ( sitting in driver seat with feet on clutch and brake) this would never have happened.
Not to mention he should have pushed the bottom of the start switch to power it up without starting.
The following users liked this post:
Mid-Years Forever! (03-01-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

There was a thread a few years back in the mustang forum about a guy who installed an aftermarket remote starter in his 6sp manual car. The remote was synced with the panic button so when the tech went out to the lot to find the car, he hit the panic button to help him locate it, and the car started up (in reverse) and made its way to the bottom of a lake behind the dealership. Last I heard the dealership was not found liable at all. Now, providing there was no similar modification done to this car, this should be a simple insurance claim. Seems like regardless of what the dealership says, it's a battle to be fought by the two insurance companies.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:57 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

The dealership doesnt have to prove anything. The vehicle was modified/malfunctioning in an unsafe way. Theres no requirement to set a parking brake, especially with the car in gear. And they weren't trying to START the car, just turn it on. Due to the modification/malfunction, the car started. The idea that one should have to be fully inside the car to turn the electronics on is silly.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:06 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The dealership doesnt have to prove anything. The vehicle was modified/malfunctioning in an unsafe way. Theres no requirement to set a parking brake, especially with the car in gear. And they weren't trying to START the car, just turn it on. Due to the modification/malfunction, the car started. The idea that one should have to be fully inside the car to turn the electronics on is silly.
How would anyone with a manual know if that mechanism is working? It never even crossed my mind to try that on mine. I would get in, push the clutch in and start it. Why would someone try to start their car in gear without the clutch pressed in? It is entirely possible someone would have no idea that it's broken or modified.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 01-29-2019 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by R&L's C6:
jefnvk (01-30-2019), Mid-Years Forever! (03-01-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 05:18 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Cant believe it??

Cant BELIEVE the monitors haven't shut this down yet...this is getting really gotten... STUPID!

Last edited by trumanjd1; 01-29-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

How would anyone with a manual know if that mechanism is working? It never even crossed my mind to try that on mine. I would get in, push the clutch in and start it. Why would someone try to start their car in gear without the clutch pressed in? It is entirely possible someone would have no idea that it's broken or modified.
The following users liked this post:
Mid-Years Forever! (03-01-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 05:28 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by I B Old
Im sure the insurance company will investigate and find out if they are lying about the switch malfunction.
They probably will but the nimrods adjusters that work for insurance companies anymore have no idea what they are looking at anymore.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:59 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by trumanjd1
Cant BELIEVE the monitors haven't shut this down yet...this is getting really gotten... STUPID!
It's moderators, not monitors, and if you don't like the subject, move along.....
The following 2 users liked this post by R&L's C6:
jimijam (01-29-2019), Mid-Years Forever! (03-01-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:18 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you looked at the C8 threads? LOL
Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

We have not discussed weather or not a Dealer has to be a Crook before he can be a Dealer. kinda like the Lawyer before Judge.

What do you call 1000 dealers at the bottom of the Sea?

A Good Start - no pun intended.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:55 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

There is a requirement to depress the clutch in on a manual car if your cranking it if its not in neutral...and how do we know the clutch doesn't fault to not starting when its broken...ot hoe doe we know its was broken at the time...You push the button to acc when you raising/lowering windows etc as you and he well knows...

If I missed that I don't remeber seeing it lol...

Last edited by hawkgfr; 01-29-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:58 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Please step away form the monitor.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Please step away form the monitor.
First push in the button and shut it down....
Old 01-29-2019, 07:08 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

You guys are too funny. Just finished dinner, this is like dessert.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership totaled my corvette!

Old 01-29-2019, 07:09 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

They wouldn't. That's the point. They would make an assumption it works as intended, just like the owner did. It not working removes the dealership from liability for the accident. It's basically a no fault accident, where the dealer pays to fix their door, and the owner pays to fix the car.

Like I said earlier, this is a turn it in to the insurance company and let them handle it. It's a claim on your comprehensive policy.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:15 PM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk

I have to call BS if the owner had collision insurance. The insurance agency has a fiduciary responsibility to their client. The insurance company would fix the car sans any deductible before blame was even settled.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:16 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

They wouldn't. That's the point. They would make an assumption it works as intended, just like the owner did. It not working removes the dealership from liability for the accident. It's basically a no fault accident, where the dealer pays to fix their door, and the owner pays to fix the car.

Like I said earlier, this is a turn it in to the insurance company and let them handle it. It's a claim on your comprehensive policy.
Yep.

Quick Reply: Dealership totaled my corvette!