C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership totaled my corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 12:55 AM
rgibson214
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Based on the age of the car, it certainly looks like a total.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:07 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cinnamon07
A quick update.

I spent 7 hours today at the dealership today and they have not claimed one part of the liability of the damages to my car. They have been saying that it is my fault for not knowing that the clutch safety switch was "sticky" or not as springy as it would be brand new. They have not even offered me a loaner car in good fortune to this accident. I have had to go through my insurance to get a rental is this was my daily driver. I'm am completely astonished on the fact that they are blaming me for the damages.
I wouldn't be surprised if they monkeyed with the switch after. IMO, it matters not. If they were trying for ACC, they missed. If they were trying to start it, they were out of position.

F ups happen. It's what you do about it when they happen that determines character. Seems they failed that test.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Ahh, when door dings go wrong

Bummer man, new one in your future
Old 01-29-2019, 02:56 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 73douchebag

head on over to the big ***** section....pull you wiener and crack open a zima.

fify

Last edited by BackInBlack05; 01-29-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:02 AM
parad1mg
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to sue.

When I was a freshman in college, I decided to get the hood of my 1997 mountaineer repainted because it was flaking. A day later, body shop tells me they had an incident with my car. I get there and my suv was on top of a honda.

Shop owner told me I didn't warn them that my car had a lot of power and it was my fault for endangering them. "It's on you, kid", the shop owner told me in a very idiotic way. Furious at the bs they're trying to pull, I asked them to get my car out of their garage and I'll have AAA tow it out of there. I told the owner I'll see him soon.

Before the week ended, I had the local police department deliver the small claims suit with a BBB complaint report with pictures of the scene and a business card of the local TV station, while I was standing outside in the parking lot watching the whole event.

I've never seen an old man run out so fast and mutter "we'll fix it, whatever you want" in my life.

​​​​​The best of luck to you. I hope that these people come to their senses and just do the right thing.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG

your arguing semantics now....you must have a JD. Now does every JD grad take the bar and become a practicing lawyer...nope....does every JD grad who does pass the bar become a practicing lawyer....nope. But every judge will have a JD. A judge providing over anything of importance will be a practice lawyer. Are there extremely small circumstances where some meaningless judgeship can be filled/appointed/elected while not a practice lawyer....yes....but it’s nothing of any merit or judicial importance whatsoever. So you and the rest of the base/auto/vert jabronis can all go take a slow lap.....it seems this type tends to all hang out in the general forum.....go figure......

OP I apologize for taking anything away from this terrible event that happened and I again hope the best for you! Get a lawyer! Show no mercy and when they final pay you get a ZO6 or ZR1....hell get a Gran Sport and slap a blower on that thing! Much better crowd in the ZO6/ZR1 and F/I sections......way less jabronis talking nonsense about chrome wheels and why they can’t stand loud exhaust and blah blah bullshit. To any C6 base guys who don’t fit this accurate stereotype don’t take offense.....if this hits home your the jabroni I’m talking about. If you want proof just browse this general forum and you can’t miss it.....than head on over to the big boy section....pull up a chair and crack open a beer.🇺🇸

This is all you needed to say. The rest is useless and unhelpful.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:49 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,697 Posts

Tell them you want the name and number of their insurance agent and start dealing with them instead of the dealership. Your car was in their care and they are responsible for the screwup. Or better yet, let your insurance company deal directly with theirs. They will end up paying in the end, regardless of what they think. The dealership employee totaled your car due to an irresponsible act.
The following 2 users liked this post by BadAV:
cinnamon07 (01-29-2019), ShagVette (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:38 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

They say and showed me that the clutch safety switch was not working properly
Ask them what their procedure for using ignition buttons is. We have a fairly strict, fully in cars with legs at proper pedals when changing ignition state rule in place in our garages for this exact reason. If they continue to play hard ball, I'd probably start asking about making sure all the proper OSHA paperwork had been filed, "for your peace of mind". Odds are if this is how they are playing it, none of that paperwork has been filed.

A quick update.

I spent 7 hours today at the dealership today and they have not claimed one part of the liability of the damages to my car. They have been saying that it is my fault for not knowing that the clutch safety switch was "sticky" or not as springy as it would be brand new. They have not even offered me a loaner car in good fortune to this accident. I have had to go through my insurance to get a rental is this was my daily driver. I'm am completely astonished on the fact that they are blaming me for the damages.
That sucks, and knowing that good luck with the resolution. I'd personally be interested in knowing why their technician did not follow any proper procedure in garages that I have been in that involves you being in the car when any potential for startup exists, or why he was relying on a safety system to prevent an issue to begin with.

Although, while not defending them, that may well be the line their insurance gave them to stick with for now, no different than never admitting fault in a car accident you may be involved in.

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-29-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:42 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,795 Likes on 4,232 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by 73DBG

your arguing semantics now....you must have a JD. Now does every JD grad take the bar and become a practicing lawyer...nope....does every JD grad who does pass the bar become a practicing lawyer....nope. But every judge will have a JD. A judge providing over anything of importance will be a practice lawyer. Are there extremely small circumstances where some meaningless judgeship can be filled/appointed/elected while not a practice lawyer....yes....but it’s nothing of any merit or judicial importance whatsoever. So you and the rest of the base/auto/vert jabronis can all go take a slow lap.....it seems this type tends to all hang out in the general forum.....go figure......
You clearly stated a Judge had to be a lawyer first & you were clearly proven wrong. You insulted a forum member & stated he should learn how to use the internet & you were clearly shown how you cannot conduct proper research using said internet. Point of fact your statements re: lawyers/Judges were proven false - move on.

Also of note people resort to personal attacks & childish name calling when their original argument has no merit. Hell my 10 year old can better prove an argument with legitimate facts & not resort to name calling. As someone who has only owned their first Corvette for less than a year I suggest you lose you’re superiority complex over other Corvette models. Finally, maybe learn how to read and/or look at avatar pics as I clearly don’t own a base trim, auto or vert which again makes your attempt at degrading my vehicle ownership moot.

Last edited by JABCAT; 01-29-2019 at 09:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
iw172 (01-29-2019), SPSandman (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:46 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

''DO NOT'' talk anymore to the dealer,let your ins do this,you shouldn't have spent 7 hours there ,,this is their fault,not yours
The following users liked this post:
ShagVette (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 09:56 AM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Is there security video footage of this highly skilled tech. that pushed start, while half of his body was still outside the car?
jefnvk (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:52 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
And what component failed?
And how do we know the dealer didn't make the clutch switch fail AFTER they wrecked the mans car... Imagine what Vinny Gambini AKA My Cousin Vinny would do with this case. I mean after all they still have his car.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 01-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.
89talon (01-31-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:06 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
And how do we know the dealer didn't make the clutch switch fail AFTER they wrecked the mans car... Imagine what Vinny Gambini AKA My Cousin Vinny would do with this case. I mean after all they still have his car.

Exactly -- that is why Failure analysis is very important. If he has Allstate or other very aggressive insurance companies -- they will want to know this down to the last finger print.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:15 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

You guys are watching too much TV. If the OP has his car insured, he should be working through his insurance company. His car was involved in an accident!

If the car were parked on the street and someone hit it, totaled it and ran he'd be calling his insurance co to report an accident........He should be calling his insurance co and reporting it was involved in an accident, not playing Columbo. Starting a war with the dealer is counterproductive and can only produce more bad will that is unnecessary and won't be the fastest path to getting back on the road. The dealer must also be insured. With both parties, that's what the insurance is for.

Failure analysis and the rest of it, is a job for the two insurance companies.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 01-29-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
You guys are watching too much TV. If the OP has his car insured, he should be working through his insurance company. His car was involved in an accident!

If the car were parked on the street and someone hit it, totaled it and ran he'd be calling his insurance co to report an accident........He should be calling his insurance co and reporting it was involved in an accident, not playing Columbo. Starting a war with the dealer is counterproductive and can only produce more bad will that is unnecessary and won't be the fastest path to getting back on the road. The dealer must also be insured. With both parties, that's what the insurance is for.

Failure analysis and the rest of it, is a job for the two insurance companies.
His insurance company should help him handle it and he won't be out for attorney's fees. The tech that wrecked the car obviously made numerous mistakes, safety switch or not. All that will be figured out in short order. One suspects that wasn't the first time they started the car. One could wonder why they didn't notice/diagnose the problem, assuming there was one, and notify the owner of an unsafe condition and recommend repairs. They are the experts after all.
jefnvk (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Things have to be kept in perspective. This is a 2007 Base car. It is chump change in an insurance payout. It's not like they ran a brand new $3M Bugatti Chiron through their garage door. Insurance companies are not going to out spend a small payout with expensive investigations and Mechanical engineers to determine failure analysis. The MOST important question is - is the tech, who must have also gone through the garage door and into the brick wall, OK?

If the tech is uninjured, then a 12 yr old 2007 Chevrolet and a garage door is chump change, probably $20K to $25K. The ONLY flaw here - Was the OP insured?? Strangely enough, not much has been said about that.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:42 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,442 Likes on 2,801 Posts

At this point, you need to be realistic. The body shop isnt going to do anything for you. They have a valid reason as well, your car has a clutch safety switch malfunction, and as far as they know its intentional. And since you have blackout covers, it's not hard for them to paint a picture of making mods with willful negligence to safety. Theyve got a story that makes sense for what happened, and it puts them in a very believable position and makes it seem like something they'd have no reason to expect should happen.

But all that is irrelevant. At this point all you can do is turn it in to your insurance and tell them what you know. If you're lucky, theyll find that it's the shops fault and recover your deductible, but that's unlikely.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership totaled my corvette!

Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

buy it back for $5k, fix it yourself for another $5k and take the rest of the insurance $$ and go on a nice vacation. that's how id handle it
Old 01-29-2019, 03:22 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

A quick update.

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Things have to be kept in perspective. This is a 2007 Base car. It is chump change in an insurance payout. It's not like they ran a brand new $3M Bugatti Chiron through their garage door. Insurance companies are not going to out spend a small payout with expensive investigations and Mechanical engineers to determine failure analysis. The MOST important question is - is the tech, who must have also gone through the garage door and into the brick wall, OK?

If the tech is uninjured, then a 12 yr old 2007 Chevrolet and a garage door is chump change, probably $20K to $25K. The ONLY flaw here - Was the OP insured?? Strangely enough, not much has been said about that.
According to the first quote, it looks like it.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:23 PM
Shelstin
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Can we talk about religion, politics, or toxic masculinity? Something less controversial and emotional?

Quick Reply: Dealership totaled my corvette!