C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership totaled my corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 PM
Odo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
That's because you are soooo smart. I, for one, am awed by your level of intelligence.
Yo you realize this literally proves what I'm saying right? Do you say this without any hint of irony I wonder?

I pity you.

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Yeah, I learned it when a city road contractor was jerking me around in fixing my motorcycle where they were at fault. They said they would handle everything, but were dragging it out and lowballing me. I called my insurance company and they said they would pay my claim and subrogate, or get their money back from the contractors insurance. My company totaled my bike and gave me more than I paid for the bike four years ago when I bought it new as a replacement cost. I wasn't going to get anything close to that from the other insurance company. My insurance company lawyers went after them to get all their money back. After spending many hours communicating and arguing with them, I got to wash my hands of the entire mess and let my insurance handle it. I replaced my four year old bike with a brand new one. My company was USAA.
It's almost like your insurance looks at long term profit and plans appropriately. Crazy! They made their money back and way more on that one I assure you, bad faith actors = punitive damages for days.

Last edited by Odo; 01-31-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:38 PM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't play chess with pigeons.
The following users liked this post:
baldman1 (02-06-2022)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:28 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Odo
Do you realize this literally proves what I'm saying right? Do you say this without any hint of irony I wonder? I pity you....
First of all, do not pity me.
Second, do you say "It's almost like your insurance looks at long term profit and plans appropriately" with any hint of irony?
Third, here are you comments boiled down:
"If you're persistent you could easily see 5-20k extra over what you are initially offered". A statement nobody agrees with.
"Realistically this could be anywhere from a 20-50k insurance settlement based on how you choose to approach it". A statement almost everyone agrees with.
"The smart path here is to simply work it out with them in good faith, they owe you a fair market value for your car plus a reasonable amount on top to avoid you pursuing them for a suit." A statement almost everyone agrees with.
"This would be incredibly easy to take to court, you'd get a judgement in 2 years." I guess big-time attys can afford to lose a car and it's value for two years.
"Right away, you demand the value of the car, the totaled car back, and money on top of that." You, bet. Here's the cash value, take the junk, and here's some travellin money.

The OP is dealing with the dealership here, not an insurance company so there is no "insurance settlement". This is chump change for them.
Your one spot on comment: The smart path here is to simply work it out with them in good faith
baldman1 (02-06-2022)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Second, do you say "It's almost like your insurance looks at long term profit and plans appropriately" with any hint of irony?
"If you're persistent you could easily see 5-20k extra over what you are initially offered". A statement nobody agrees with.
"Realistically this could be anywhere from a 20-50k insurance settlement based on how you choose to approach it". A statement almost everyone agrees with.
"The smart path here is to simply work it out with them in good faith, they owe you a fair market value for your car plus a reasonable amount on top to avoid you pursuing them for a suit." A statement almost everyone agrees with.
"This would be incredibly easy to take to court, you'd get a judgement in 2 years." I guess big-time attys can afford to lose a car and it's value for two years.
"Right away, you demand the value of the car, the totaled car back, and money on top of that." You, bet. Here's the cash value, take the junk, and here's some travellin money.

The OP is dealing with the dealership here, not an insurance company so there is no "insurance settlement". This is chump change for them.
Your one spot on comment: The smart path here is to simply work it out with them in good faith
It is one path one could take... BUT who do you think has more negotiating power and clout or experience in setting a claim, a guy that has the Corvette or an Insurance Company employing an Experienced claims adjusters? If I were a Dealer or a Repair Shop -- I would not want to go up against Insurance Company in a claim fight. - they have too much $$
Old 01-31-2019, 10:55 PM
Odo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 -"If you're persistent you could easily see 5-20k extra over what you are initially offered". A statement nobody agrees with.
2 -"Realistically this could be anywhere from a 20-50k insurance settlement based on how you choose to approach it". A statement almost everyone agrees with.
3 -"The smart path here is to simply work it out with them in good faith, they owe you a fair market value for your car plus a reasonable amount on top to avoid you pursuing them for a suit." A statement almost everyone agrees with.
4 -"This would be incredibly easy to take to court, you'd get a judgement in 2 years." I guess big-time attys can afford to lose a car and it's value for two years.
5 -"Right away, you demand the value of the car, the totaled car back, and money on top of that." You, bet. Here's the cash value, take the junk, and here's some travellin money.

Oh boy. I do more and more with each post.

There is an insurance settlement, because you will likely not be dealing directly with the dealership , you will likely be suing their insurance provider for not covering you. (This depends entirely on how they are covered and their corporate structure, I could very well be wrong in this instance here due to incomplete information)

How can 2 be valid if 1 is not valid

3 - Yeah duh, doesn't take a Bar card for that.

4 - Lol what? If you've got a C6 I'm assuming you can probably tighten up the belt for a few months to pay for an attorney on a case you will for sure win eventually. Not to mention there's a TON of hungry attys who would take a case like this and run with it on contingency.

5 - Yeah no ****, but the dealership is NOT DOING THAT HERE, hence the reason he should probably pursue litigation if they don't cover him more than he deserves?

Last edited by Odo; 01-31-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 586 Likes on 517 Posts

wow..

-Josh
Old 02-01-2019, 12:17 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd demand a new C9 with all the bells and whistles.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:30 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Yes, with the manuals the only thing I can guess is it was assumed by the engineers that if the clutch pedal is depressed, and the car is being started that either the e-brake or brake pedal would be in use. This has pretty much been the norm for every manual car I've owned.
There was an incident in the C7 forum in which the car had died (or was disconnected, or some such), and when the power was hooked back up the car did indeed start and crashed itself.

I can't find it at the moment, because I'm tired, but you know as much as I can remember and can search as well as I can.

Anyway, it has happened.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:18 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Odo
How can 2 be valid if 1 is not valid...
You must be an attorney. You know it all so don't bother reading.
Must be wonderful to be you.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:28 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Wow.....This thread has had it all:
Bad advice
good advice
Fake attorneys
wannabe attorneys
wishfull attorneys
a number of ambulance chasers
law school students
law school dropouts
obvious 10 year olds (where are the parents??)
At least one 8 year old (can tell by the bad grammar)
Several visits by the CF clown car
Trolls
Internet tough guys
forum bullies
Almost forgot to mention trolls

I know I've missed something.......

290 and going strong! Any bets on a final? I think 500 easy......

Last edited by BlindSpot; 02-01-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:47 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,652 Likes on 1,693 Posts

I'm waiting on the resident attorneys to take the case pro-bono since it's such a slam dunk win.

Last edited by BadAV; 02-01-2019 at 06:48 AM.
jefnvk (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 07:50 AM
dshamrick
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Bad advice
good advice
Fake attorneys
wannabe attorneys
wishfull attorneys
law school students
law school dropouts
Trolls
Internet tough guys
forum bullies

You forgot "Dick from the Internet"
Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 AM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Bad advice
good advice
Fake attorneys
wannabe attorneys
wishfull attorneys
law school students
law school dropouts
Trolls
Internet tough guys
forum bullies

You forgot Columbo

Old 02-01-2019, 11:09 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

can we get this dumpster fire locked until the OP comes back with an update... Its been a week.

My guess is his insurance or (a real)lawyer told him to STFU publicly about this.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:31 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
can we get this dumpster fire locked until the OP comes back with an update... Its been a week.

My guess is his insurance or (a real)lawyer told him to STFU publicly about this.
Why lock up free entertainment....
Old 02-01-2019, 11:37 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I started my 2004 coupe this morning and sidestepped the clutch in Reverse.
The car stalled after 2 feet.
The rear bumper on the OP car didn't crush from the garage door, looks like it crushed when it hit the wall.
That kind of damage doesn't happen in Reverse on idle.
The dealership story is somewhat suspect.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:40 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
You forgot Columbo...
Inspector Clouseau is on the case...

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership totaled my corvette!

Old 02-01-2019, 02:07 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Inspector Clouseau is on the case...
Sidney **** is also on the case -- here he is opening the Dealerships First offer to the OP.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:24 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

No one called Saul yet?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:55 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you havent yet,what you need to do is call their insurance and file a claim. there is no further need to talk to the dealership. Just get a claim filed and go from there. You took pictures which is good, next you need to take your car to a different body shop. They will work with the dealership insurance in figuring out the damages. You should alert your insurance company about the accident, but you dont need to file anything with them, just alert them in case the other insurance company drags their feet.

Good luck, with the age of the car and the damages, it may well be declared totaled. Gonna be close. As for my advise i'm not an attorney or in the insurance industry at all. I'm just a vette owner who has been through someone ******* up my car.

Quick Reply: Dealership totaled my corvette!