C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2008 vette was broken into today???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:10 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Yes, it's a thing. I asked a tech friend once if this was true, and he said yes.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-friendl...key-1828259034

But it's curious that if they used a signal booster to get into the car, that they didn't take the car, too.
That is what i heard about last year on the world news and also on the internet.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 02-02-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: correct
Old 02-02-2019, 01:33 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

OK guys I called the city PD today to report it and a detective from the car theft department is going to come out and I know of this man since I worked for the city 14 years and he said he would try one of those "Things" that they recovered from a gang member......Car theft is big business down here because we are very close to the border.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:56 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
OK guys I called the city PD today to report it and a detective from the car theft department is going to come out and I know of this man since I worked for the city 14 years and he said he would try one of those "Things" that they recovered from a gang member......Car theft is big business down here because we are very close to the border.
Make a video of him testing it.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:26 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Sorry to hear of this.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:05 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Live in a quiet, upper middle class neighborhood in Long Island, the Third Pct. is located in our Village. We've had a rash of illegal entries around here lately, the bad guys walk down the street yanking on door handles, you'd be surprised how many people leave their car doors open. Bad guy doesn't have to break anything, just open the door and help himself. I'd be more pissed about the gun being gone, another illegal gun on the street and in the wrong hands. Around here you'd lose your license for that, right in the paperwork it says you can't leave your gun unattended ANYWHERE when out in public. Drives my wife crazy but mine stays with me everywhere I go.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry about the incident, there's always some asshat looking for easy $$..My car doesn't recognize the key fob once it's 20' away, I never leave my cell phone in the car, even in the garage,
Old 02-02-2019, 10:53 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
But.. if someone opens your hatch and pulls the cable to open the door without a fob near the car that will set off the alarm...I've tested that option and these vettes have some loud honks that honk for 10 minutes i think.(Not Sure).
Is it possible to go in through the open hatch and crawl over the seats? I know I probably couldn't do it, but how about some agile kid? I read on someone's post that they crawled over the seats to get into the back because they didn't know about the emergency door release beside the seats. If your hatch got butt-dialed, maybe that could explain it?
Cherokee Nation (02-03-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Is it possible to go in through the open hatch and crawl over the seats? I know I probably couldn't do it, but how about some agile kid? I read on someone's post that they crawled over the seats to get into the back because they didn't know about the emergency door release beside the seats. If your hatch got butt-dialed, maybe that could explain it?
Yes that is true I could do it if i had to.....Thanks for the hint.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RobLo
Live in a quiet, upper middle class neighborhood in Long Island, the Third Pct. is located in our Village. We've had a rash of illegal entries around here lately, the bad guys walk down the street yanking on door handles, you'd be surprised how many people leave their car doors open. Bad guy doesn't have to break anything, just open the door and help himself. I'd be more pissed about the gun being gone, another illegal gun on the street and in the wrong hands. Around here you'd lose your license for that, right in the paperwork it says you can't leave your gun unattended ANYWHERE when out in public. Drives my wife crazy but mine stays with me everywhere I go.
Yes I'm pissed about the gun here in Tx you don't need a license to have a gun in your car..Like i said i forgot about the gun in my vette I only carry it if i take a trip.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I wonder if seeing the cell phone in the car is what made them break in? My daughter and I have gone around and around about leaving her phone in the car. Think she got the message last week when her friend's new Accord had a busted passenger window so they could take the........cell phone.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:43 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FatsWaller

In 2008, I noticed several times that my hatch was opened by accidentally bumping the fob in my pocket against a desk or whatever. Fobs can easily transmit 200+ feet when actively pressing a button, even from inside a building, regardless of how you may have the personal settings for passive entry and locking. Pressing the panic button is how some people find their car in large parking lots. So what I did to eliminate that future possibility, was to open the fob and place a piece of cellophane tape over the button contacts, thereby eliminating the problem.
In the passive mode, a fob must be within about 3' of the relay of the door latch, hatch button, or starter button. If the battery is weak, you may need to position the fob real close to the individual antenna for that function.

About 2 years ago, when my friend wrecked his car and we towed it to my place on a U-haul trailer and he kept the fob. The next day I needed to get in to clean out some of his stuff. I pried open the passenger window enough to use a long metal rod to push the driver side window button down. While the trailer fenders prevented opening the doors, I reached in to hit the hatch button. After clearing out the hatch area and moving the driver's seat forward and leaning the back to the steering wheel, I had room enough to crawl through the hatch to the front passenger seat. I was 75 years old at the time, so a teenager could do that a lot easier.

If your car is locked, that is a method to gain interior access without opening a door that would set off an alarm. Of course, if you accidentally hit the hatch button while in your home, thieves don't need to open windows or doors to steal everything inside. If they wore gloves, there won't even be fingerprint evidence.

Protect yourself by deactivating the active fob buttons.
Cherokee Nation (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:25 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

:
Originally Posted by wayback
Horn will sound alarm. Even if you use the key if no fob detected alarm will sound when door is opened.
hmm this wasn’t the case for me.

The other day I popped my hatch (not all the way open), got out of the car and closed the door. My car auto-alarmed like it always does (honked once). I walked inside and dropped my key in my room (200+ feet away through about 5 walls).
I walked back outside, realized I left my jacked on the front seat. I opened the hatch (previously unlatched), and pulled the manual door opener in the back. No alarm sounded.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:18 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

OP - just curious whether or not your fobs still work and the alarm sets even after your breaki-in?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:08 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
I wonder if seeing the cell phone in the car is what made them break in? My daughter and I have gone around and around about leaving her phone in the car. Think she got the message last week when her friend's new Accord had a busted passenger window so they could take the........cell phone.
The cell phone was in my console...out of sight.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dpigguy
OP - just curious whether or not your fobs still work and the alarm sets even after your breaki-in?
Yes they do....I tested them today.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by theandrewo
:
hmm this wasn’t the case for me.

The other day I popped my hatch (not all the way open), got out of the car and closed the door. My car auto-alarmed like it always does (honked once). I walked inside and dropped my key in my room (200+ feet away through about 5 walls).
I walked back outside, realized I left my jacked on the front seat. I opened the hatch (previously unlatched), and pulled the manual door opener in the back. No alarm sounded.
Do this test.....Go out to you car and DO NOT push the unlock button on the fob then open the hatch with the fob or the button above the plate then reach in and pull the door cable if the alarm does not go off then something is not working as it should.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 02-02-2019 at 11:22 PM. Reason: correct
Old 02-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

In 2008, I noticed several times that my hatch was opened by accidentally bumping the fob in my pocket against a desk or whatever. Fobs can easily transmit 200+ feet when actively pressing a button, even from inside a building, regardless of how you may have the personal settings for passive entry and locking. Pressing the panic button is how some people find their car in large parking lots. So what I did to eliminate that future possibility, was to open the fob and place a piece of cellophane tape over the button contacts, thereby eliminating the problem.
In the passive mode, a fob must be within about 3' of the relay of the door latch, hatch button, or starter button. If the battery is weak, you may need to position the fob real close to the individual antenna for that function.

About 2 years ago, when my friend wrecked his car and we towed it to my place on a U-haul trailer and he kept the fob. The next day I needed to get in to clean out some of his stuff. I pried open the passenger window enough to use a long metal rod to push the driver side window button down. While the trailer fenders prevented opening the doors, I reached in to hit the hatch button. After clearing out the hatch area and moving the driver's seat forward and leaning the back to the steering wheel, I had room enough to crawl through the hatch to the front passenger seat. I was 75 years old at the time, so a teenager could do that a lot easier.

If your car is locked, that is a method to gain interior access without opening a door that would set off an alarm. Of course, if you accidentally hit the hatch button while in your home, thieves don't need to open windows or doors to steal everything inside. If they wore gloves, there won't even be fingerprint evidence.

Protect yourself by deactivating the active fob buttons.
I measured the distance between the seats today and i have 21" and i have aftermarket seat covers,so that is plenty of room to get to the front i would think.

Get notified of new replies

To My 2008 vette was broken into today???

Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I've been watching this thread for a bit, and thought I would finally chime in.

Whatever happened was not a "clone" or "amplifier" situation. Our fobs don't work in the same way as any of the youtube events of cars being hacked/stolen.

Understanding exactly how our fobs work is key. (haha-punny). When a button on the car is pressed, then the car sends a weak signal out, perhaps a few feet , and if a recognized fob is there, it wii send out an even weaker signal to the door (B pillar antenna) that was pressed, and will let the door open, or not. Either way, a recognized fob must be present within a few feet to open.

Even to get to this point for a hack job of any sort, there have to be two "amplifiers." One near the car (easy), and one near the recognized fob ( much harder, unless you store your fobs on an outside wall, and the thieves know exactly where to set up their hypothetical equipment). Seems a lot of work and investment to steal a few hundred bucks of things. If the thieves have the hardware, why wouldn't they nick the car instead of just a a few "baubles"?

The OP didn't make it sound like any noise happened, so I'm inclined to believe that the car never locked again (which would have resulted in a horn honk), and that leaves the butt dial hatch pop scenario on my list of most likely what happened.
the kid C6 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

LOL, FINALLY, after 57 posts, one of the "Fobsperts" chimes in and throws cold water on the subject. I've read threads/posts here numerous times about why the fobs can't really be scanned when you walk up to the car, etc. etc. Those threads usually pop up when somebody makes a panic post about some gadget "out there" that will do this and YOUR Corvette is the next one to get stolen.

But urban legends die hard.

What took you so long, Mrs. Ow?
Old 02-03-2019, 04:17 AM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by door2416
Just for a little more piece of mind, Harbor freight sells a "driveway sensor" that you could leave inside the car and would alert to the receiver inside your house when it detects motion. They have a range of about 400 feet and only cost about 15 bucks. I used to work in Detroit and they saved me more than once. Just the sight of the transmitter on the dash will probably help.
Coupons:

Quick Reply: My 2008 vette was broken into today???